Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

On a serious note - skin cancer

On a serious note - skin cancer

Old Jul 12th 2009, 12:35 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: On a serious note - skin cancer

Sorry to hear this hun I really am. As you well know I am fair of hair and skin and I am always VERY nervous about the sun and even more so because I have a mole that likes to get angry on my head and being as bald as a coot it hates the sun, but I get it checked on a regular basis by my dermatologist. I second what others have said, ANY colour to your skin is damage, this is NOT what I have gleamed from a Google search, nor from reading a book, its what my Dermatologist told me, and since he has a pretty illustrious career and he has letters behind his man I am more inclined to believe him!
Old Jul 12th 2009, 2:20 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

As I have had several PMs asking me for the name of the skin clinic, here are the details for anyone that may be interested.

Dr Lester
3/5 Rockingham Rd
Hamilton Hill WA 6163, Australia
08 9335 7300
Old Jul 12th 2009, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

John_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud of

Its strange seeing this post as on Friday as was diagnosed with a type of skin cancer. Unfortunately I can't recall what type but the dermatologist was fairly blasse about it and will have it removed in two weeks. Since arriving in oz I have always worn a hat and have never been sun burnt. The CA is on my forehead, which many a time, years ago would burn while on holiday in Greece. Will remember to take a pen and note pad when I go back,so I can write down what ever the doc has to say, think my memory is going too LOL

John
Old Jul 12th 2009, 11:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busterboy
Hello Peeps

Just thought even though it is the depths of winter that a sobering tale may be useful as we look forward to the summer months.

Being a typical Jockette, I have burned myself to a cinder on every holiday I've ever had. Two weeks of sun and not a second to lose, oh and throw some beer in with that too.

Strangely since moving to Australia, I have never been in the sun less. I think it was all the partial ears that I saw when I arrived. (I don't notice people who have had facial skin cancers now).

Anyway the point to this story is a good friend and colleague went for a routine skin cancer exam in March. They found a malignant melanoma. On a second exam they found that in addition to this small, small cluster of brown cells were secondary cancers in the brain, lungs and liver. My friend has entered palliative care this weekend and is unlikely to live through this week.

I am so sad to be writing this story but I want to really shout at people to take care, our pastey Northern European skin is not suited to being exposed to the harsh Australian sun and children are especially vulnerable. My friend was incredibly aware of skin cancer and went at the first signs but it was already spreading throughout her body, into organs.

Most skin cancers are not this serious but if you are in doubt see a doctor immediately for a referral.

I am sorry if this sounds so preachy but I devasted at the pointless and rapid decline of such a beautiful, fiesty, cheeky woman. I wanted to make you aware that this does happen each and every day to people just like us.
Cant think of a more serious subject, sorry to hear about your friend.

European skin is NOT suited to the aussie climate.

Been here 8 years, do all the sun smart stuff. But we have all had moles removed now, 15 yr old had malignant melanoma removed earlier this year, it had not spread, my Doctor said if it had been left it could have killed him. Does not come more sobering than that!

His MM was on his back, right above where the backpack sits as he rides his bike to school. The school white shirts offer absolutely NO protection from the sun, millions of kdis wear them everyday Youngest sons mole he had removed was on inside upper arm just where the primary school T shirt ends.

You think your being sunsmart but you only need to miss one tiny bit of skin.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 11:55 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about your friend N, thinking of you xx
Old Jul 13th 2009, 12:19 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Many many moles are fine and many skin cancers can be treated. I just wanted to give a bit of a 'lets be careful out there kids' announcement as I for one did not realise just how quickly this terirble sort of cancer can kill.
It's a horrible situation for your friend BB.

I lost my mum to malignant melanoma. She had a mole removed, with a lot of surrounding tissue to make sure - like you see on the TV ad. After 5 years of 3 monthly hospital checks was given the all clear. 1 year later it returned as secondary cancers. Diagnosis to her dying was less than 1 month.

It's bizarre that it is such an aggressive cancer and yet it can lie dormant like that for so long - I don't think the mechanisms are really fully understood.

I don't disagree that some sun exposure is beneficial, but I think any message trying to put a daily quota on it is dangerous. I could easily get suburnt in the 15 minute time period (4 x a week!) people are talking about. I'll stick to synthetic vit D thanks!
Old Jul 13th 2009, 12:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

BB, very sorry to hear about your friend & thank you for posting about it as we all need a reminder now & again of how serious this is.

This may be helpful!
Attached Thumbnails On a serious note - skin cancer-malignant_melanoma.jpg  
Old Jul 13th 2009, 12:55 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Sunlight / absence of sunlight may have effects not fully appreciated. I take the view that animals like people have been adapting to sunlight vastly longer than their awareness of its effects.

An estimate of premature cancer mortality in the U.S. due to inadequate doses of solar ultraviolet-B radiation

Last edited by WillBlack; Jul 13th 2009 at 12:58 am.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 1:05 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WillBlack
Sunlight / absence of sunlight may have effects not fully appreciated. I take the view that animals like people have been adapting to sunlight vastly longer than their awareness of its effects.

An estimate of premature cancer mortality in the U.S. due to inadequate doses of solar ultraviolet-B radiation
I'm quite sure that people have evolved over thousands of years such that their skin is to some extent adapted to the sunlight in the part of the world they live in. Unfortunately, that doesn't help someone with Northern European genetics moving to Queensland - I don't believe their skin will 'adapt' in the course of their lifetime. I've been burnt hanging the washing out - you seem to be suggesting I should do this more regularly and all will be well??
Old Jul 13th 2009, 1:24 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I'm quite sure that people have evolved over thousands of years such that their skin is to some extent adapted to the sunlight in the part of the world they live in. Unfortunately, that doesn't help someone with Northern European genetics moving to Queensland - I don't believe their skin will 'adapt' in the course of their lifetime. I've been burnt hanging the washing out - you seem to be suggesting I should do this more regularly and all will be well??
A little, regularly, without burning, aye. The problem is that white skin burns almost immediately. Skin slowly conditioned to sunight does not burn so quickly. Their skin will adapt (non-genetically) as evidenced by tanning. Those who don't tan, typically red-heads, are the ones who should most carefully avoid sun. Those who are ghostly white need to start the tanning / adaptation process very slowly.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 1:47 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
It's a horrible situation for your friend BB.

I lost my mum to malignant melanoma. She had a mole removed, with a lot of surrounding tissue to make sure - like you see on the TV ad. After 5 years of 3 monthly hospital checks was given the all clear. 1 year later it returned as secondary cancers. Diagnosis to her dying was less than 1 month.

It's bizarre that it is such an aggressive cancer and yet it can lie dormant like that for so long - I don't think the mechanisms are really fully understood.

I don't disagree that some sun exposure is beneficial, but I think any message trying to put a daily quota on it is dangerous. I could easily get suburnt in the 15 minute time period (4 x a week!) people are talking about. I'll stick to synthetic vit D thanks!
Hello BC. I have aways had a lot of time for you as a poster.

I was sorry to hear that your mum died in this way and I hope the topic is not bringing discomfort to you. I want people to talk about this and be aware that this not always something that can be sorted out under the surgeon's knife.

I have come home to work, I am sorry to tell you all that my very lovely, extremely ballsy and beautiful friend died in the night surrounded by her family. Lovely pal, 45, gone too soon.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 1:50 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
BB, very sorry to hear about your friend & thank you for posting about it as we all need a reminder now & again of how serious this is.

This may be helpful!
Thanks for the poster SC. We have one on our fridge. We have even bene known to grab men at our bbq's and exam their moles against it.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 2:06 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Hello BC. I have aways had a lot of time for you as a poster.

I was sorry to hear that your mum died in this way and I hope the topic is not bringing discomfort to you. I want people to talk about this and be aware that this not always something that can be sorted out under the surgeon's knife.

I have come home to work, I am sorry to tell you all that my very lovely, extremely ballsy and beautiful friend died in the night surrounded by her family. Lovely pal, 45, gone too soon.
Oh that's so sad

I'm so very sorry to hear about your friend.

The skin cancer statistics are really terrifying.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

ShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really nice

You can get yourself and family screened for next to nothing through Medicare. We've had it done and will go regularly (every year or so) to check on any changes. I paid $60 and got $37 back from Medicare. Well worth it, for peace of mind if anything.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 2:54 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

My doctor has said vitamin D absorption can be done via the nape of the neck.

And he also said that there is no such thing as a healthy light tan.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.