Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Sensible Australian Election Thread

The Sensible Australian Election Thread

Old Aug 10th 2010, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Sensible Australian Election Thread

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
Anyone watch Gillard on Q+A last night?

I thought she came over really well. Still a bit overly media trained with the kung fu hands but much less rehersed than the 'debate' shambles and came across as pretty genuine. Clearly about 10 times more intelligent than Abbott, though I'll be interested to see him on it next week.
I couldn't bear to watch it, she talks in such a condescending manner. Like she is talking to a bunch of 5 year old. Mind you, most of the electorate she appeals to have that mental age.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly
I couldn't bear to watch it, she talks in such a condescending manner. Like she is talking to a bunch of 5 year old. Mind you, most of the electorate she appeals to have that mental age.
As opposed to the high brow intellectualism of Mr Abbott?
Old Aug 10th 2010, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't go that far!
Old Aug 10th 2010, 10:36 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

So why have I got to pay for the federal government to fix the Sydney rail system because the NSW government can't be bothered?

I can see why most of the people who want to get rid of the states live in NSW
Old Aug 10th 2010, 11:22 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
So why have I got to pay for the federal government to fix the Sydney rail system because the NSW government can't be bothered?

The NSW government is an absolute disgrace, and sadly a demonstration of what internal factional politics can dispense.

Since the last election, we have had three different premiers, all of which have been toppled/installed by the various labour party factions and 'powerbrokers'. It's seeing this willy nilly deposing of leaders that makes me wonder about the stability of a future federal labour government, given a similar structure of union powerbrokers and factions.

I have been in Sydney for the entire term of the current labour government, and I can't think of much that they really have to coo about. It has been a term of nothing but instability and failure.

And yes, we'll happily take your money for our rail system

S
Old Aug 10th 2010, 11:24 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

He does have a lot between his ears ... but only because of the size of them.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 11:51 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

You won't as it won't get built like nearly every other transport announcement at election time

Old Aug 11th 2010, 12:02 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Yep

Which is also why stratigic transport programs should be taken out of state control.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 1:36 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ex_exile
Yep

Which is also why stratigic transport programs should be taken out of state control.
So NSW can get the benefit? Noooo!

Last edited by MartinLuther; Aug 11th 2010 at 1:41 am.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 1:40 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
The NSW government is an absolute disgrace, and sadly a demonstration of what internal factional politics can dispense.

Since the last election, we have had three different premiers, all of which have been toppled/installed by the various labour party factions and 'powerbrokers'. It's seeing this willy nilly deposing of leaders that makes me wonder about the stability of a future federal labour government, given a similar structure of union powerbrokers and factions.

I have been in Sydney for the entire term of the current labour government, and I can't think of much that they really have to coo about. It has been a term of nothing but instability and failure.

And yes, we'll happily take your money for our rail system

S
I think there is more leadership instability in the Liberal party at the moment.

If the Libs win Tony will be displaced by Joe who will be displaced by someone else or we'll have an early election. I don't think Joe will deliberately give Tony a hard time I just think he'll step into Tony's self-inflicted breach.

Can't see Wayne giving Julia a hard time if she wins but might start agitating in a subsequent term.

And Peter Garrett has no chance
Old Aug 11th 2010, 1:41 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex_exile
Yep

There are many things that should be taken out of state control...

S
Old Aug 11th 2010, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

I think there is more leadership instability in the Liberal party at the moment.

If the Libs win Tony will be displaced by Joe who will be displaced by someone else or we'll have an early election.
Disagree. Abbott's quite stable in the leadership role as he has succeeded in doing what Turnbull and the other Lib leaders have failed to do i.e. give the Libs a rel chance of winning the election. Joe Hockey may be affable but he is no leader. He is too light weight (not literally!). I can't see him contesting the leadership at all. I actually think that he believes that he is not leadership material and that is why he didn't contest it last time.

Can't see Wayne giving Julia a hard time if she wins but might start agitating in a subsequent term.
If Julia wins/loses Swan will be there to stick the knife in. Guaranteed.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 1:51 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Joe Hockey's main issue is he is stained with Workchoices. He is far more electable than anyone else there. Turnbull's issue is he was not brought up in the Federal political scene and was an outsider and politically immature.

If the Coalition loses the knife will go in his back as it will go in Julia's back in within the next two years.
Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Disagree. Abbott's quite stable in the leadership role as he has succeeded in doing what Turnbull and the other Lib leaders have failed to do i.e. give the Libs a rel chance of winning the election. Joe Hockey may be affable but he is no leader. He is too light weight (not literally!). I can't see him contesting the leadership at all. I actually think that he believes that he is not leadership material and that is why he didn't contest it last time.

Old Aug 11th 2010, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
Joe Hockey's main issue is he is stained with Workchoices. He is far more electable than anyone else there. Turnbull's issue is he was not brought up in the Federal political scene and was an outsider and politically immature.

If the Coalition loses the knife will go in his back as it will go in Julia's back in within the next two years.
I don't know. I wouldn't vote for Hockey. To me he lacks gravitas.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 1:56 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII

I agree that Tony has done wonders for the party's election chances. I just remember him being a bit fast and loose the last time he was in government and I don't think things have changed. His campaign team have done a good job of keeping his normal m.o. under wraps.

I also think Joe is lightweight. Which is why I don't think he'll last long if he succeeds Tony. I was suggesting he won't challenge Tony directly but will step into the breach if Tony loses the confidence of the party (in the same way Major didn't challenged Thatcher).

Swan will want the job for sure. But I don't see him sticking the knife in this term (if Labor win).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.