Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Sensible Australian Election Thread

The Sensible Australian Election Thread

Old Sep 8th 2010, 11:36 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Sensible Australian Election Thread

Originally Posted by NedKelly
Looking at it that way I doubt these independents will ever be voted in as MP's again.
I think Windsor was planning on retiring anyway so does not give a shit.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 11:39 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spalen
I Agree. They are toast.

I really admire the one who went to coalition, doing that knowing he'd be taking himself effectively to losing side. Great courage.
How can you not admire a man who wears a large cowboy hat nearly all the time?
Old Sep 8th 2010, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I think Windsor was planning on retiring anyway so does not give a shit.
Can he retire 3 years earlier then?
Old Sep 8th 2010, 11:56 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Can he retire 3 years earlier then?
He might have to if this government does not last.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Using your figures then...

New England;
1st pref
Windsor 61%
Nationals 25%
Labour 8%
and the vote goes to LABOR with 8%, even though 92% wanted an Independent or a Lib/Nat.

Lynne;
1st pref
Oakshott 47%
Nationals 35%
Labor 13%
and the vote goes to LABOR with 13%, even though 87% wanted an Independent or a Lib/Nat.

You say "Some are unhappy some are happy, the unhappy ones are making noises is this unexpected?"

Of course this is to be expected, especially as there are more unhappy ones than there are happy ones in those electorates.

Your answer however seemed to indicate that the argument is about the vote going to an Independent.

That is not the case. The main argument is that they should have been Independent wins. NOT Labor wins.
But they are Independents. Thats the point.

Had they supported Abbott they would still be going against the wishes of the majority of their electorate.

In New England, in your words:

The vote would have gone to COALITION even though 75% wanted Labor or Independent

Would you still be bleating on about the failiure of democracy then?
Old Sep 9th 2010, 12:04 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Of course this is to be expected, especially as there are more unhappy ones than there are happy ones in those electorates.
And you know this how?

Your answer however seemed to indicate that the argument is about the vote going to an Independent.

That is not the case. The main argument is that they should have been Independent wins. NOT Labor wins.
They were independent wins not Labor wins. You keep trying to distort the result. The voters DID NOT vote for the coalition, they voted independent they got independent. Their members then decided to make a deal that would benefit their constituents and part of this deal was to offer supply to a Labor government, this is the democratic system that we live in.

Let me repeat again THEY DID NOT VOTE FOR A COALITION LOCAL MP, look at the statistics!

You keep throwing up spurious arguments to try and make this result seem invalid, I answer your points so you move onto something else, no harm in that this is a discussuion after all, but you keep on trying to imply that this is an invalid result, it is not.

You seem to be one of the people covered by the article I posted earlier it seems that the only result that you are willing to accept is a Liberal coalition victory.

Last edited by ex_exile; Sep 9th 2010 at 12:09 am.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 12:06 am

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

The two sources are very different, yours; www.pollytics.com is a politically motivated website, whereas mine is showing a few individual opinions from the electorates in question, where 87% or 92% preferred someone other than Labor.
Mine is politically motivated and yours is the neutral source News international? You're having a lend of me here I think.

I take that you are aware that newspoll did a survey a week after the election that showed that the public favoured a Labor coalition BUT DID NOT PUBLISH IT FOR A WEEK and continued running op-eds saying that the people prefered a Coalition coalition.

No, I am not saying that no one was. Just that a majority appear not be in favour of the vote going Labors way.
Yet again, you know this how?

Last edited by ex_exile; Sep 9th 2010 at 12:14 am.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
The vote would have gone to COALITION even though 75% wanted Labor or Independent
As opposed to 92% wanting an Independent or a Lib/Nat.

Hmmm... I can see your logic. Massive Fail!
Old Sep 9th 2010, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ex_exile
The voters DID NOT vote for the coalition
They voted Coalition as second preference. What preference was Labor?
Old Sep 9th 2010, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

As opposed to 92% wanting an Independent or a Lib/Nat.

Hmmm... I can see your logic. Massive Fail!
So 25% is a majority now is it?
Old Sep 9th 2010, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

If they were really that bothered then they should have voted Coalition first then shouldn't they?
Old Sep 9th 2010, 12:17 am

61% voted for Windsor, how does the coalition figure anywhere in that?

47% voted for Oakshot but you think the second preference votes should take precedent?

Why are you unable to accept the result?
Old Sep 9th 2010, 12:23 am

In New England, in your words:

Those are not my words, if they were my words I imagine that you would have quoted them.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ex_exile
Those are not my words, if they were my words I imagine that you would have quoted them.
Err, yeah In know they're not. They are that ABC fella's, thats why I quoted him!

I'm actually agreeing with you old chap.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 12:58 am

Err, yeah In know they're not. They are that ABC fella's, thats why I quoted him!

I'm actually agreeing with you old chap.
Yeah, that post got screwed somewhere, sorry about that.

I wonder if I'd be as hacked off as coalition supporters seem to be if it had gone the other way, I'd like to think not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.