Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Sensible Australian Election Thread

The Sensible Australian Election Thread

Old Sep 8th 2010, 10:57 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Sensible Australian Election Thread

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
If they were happy, then it would obviously not be a problem.

But, they appear to have put this:
1 Independent
2 Lib/National
3 Labor

But their vote went to Labor...

and now they are saying things like:

"What's wrong with remaining an independent? There are so many people up here who are really upset by what he has done."

"This is a conservative electorate. It's not Labor Party heartland, I tell you that. I doubt people will vote for Mr Oakeshott next time round - I certainly won't."

"said she had no preference as to whether Labor or the Coalition formed government, but she believed Mr Oakeshott's decision to support Ms Gillard would not be warmly received by the electorate."

Thats not really true in any meaningful sense:

New England;
1st pref
Windsor 61%
Nationals 25%

Not even decided on preferences.

Lynne;
1st pref
Oakshott 47%
Nationals 35%
Labor 13%

Labor preferences would have gotten Oakshott over the line. People are being given the impression by the press and others that these were close seats decided on large coalition preferences this is simply not true as you can check on any of the election results sites but I got these figures directly from AEC website.

Some are unhappy some are happy, the unhappy ones are making noises is this unexpected?
Old Sep 8th 2010, 11:08 am

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

But their vote went to Labor...

and now they are saying things like:

"What's wrong with remaining an independent? There are so many people up here who are really upset by what he has done."

"This is a conservative electorate. It's not Labor Party heartland, I tell you that. I doubt people will vote for Mr Oakeshott next time round - I certainly won't."

"said she had no preference as to whether Labor or the Coalition formed government, but she believed Mr Oakeshott's decision to support Ms Gillard would not be warmly received by the electorate."

You questioned the objectivity of one of my sources earlier, so why are you using exclusively knocking quotes are you saying that no one is in favour of this?
Old Sep 8th 2010, 11:11 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

At least, with the Liberals of the past, however they made it, it was actually there and available when we needed it
Yup...Johnny Howard, for example, did a fantastic job as treasurer!
Old Sep 8th 2010, 12:50 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Yup...Johnny Howard, for example, did a fantastic job as treasurer!
Swan came out tonight and said that people in the cities wont subsidise people in the bush on the NBN rates, but that everyone would pay the same.

Astounding piece of mathematics that was.........
Old Sep 8th 2010, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

And here we have it, the person who decided the fate of the country doesn't know how to use a computer. Yet, he went for labor because of the NBN.

You should be made to take an intelligence test before being allowed to stand as an MP. He will get on well with Conroy. He knows sweet FA about computers as well.

"I can't even operate a computer. I haven't got one on my desk. But I've got people in here who can," he said.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/technology/br...#ixzz0yyM3Qhwm

You couldn't make it up.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 8:43 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
So why won't she support gay marriage then?

S
Because she needs all the votes in the Redneck portions of Queensland that she can get?

Despite the name and Alice Springs being the Lesbian capital of Australia ... apparently.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 8:45 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly
And here we have it, the person who decided the fate of the country doesn't know how to use a computer. Yet, he went for labor because of the NBN.

You should be made to take an intelligence test before being allowed to stand as an MP. He will get on well with Conroy. He knows sweet FA about computers as well.

"I can't even operate a computer. I haven't got one on my desk. But I've got people in here who can," he said.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/technology/br...#ixzz0yyM3Qhwm

You couldn't make it up.
I'm not a scientist, nor would I know how to collect stem cells, however I am in favour of stem cell research for the greater good of the people.

What's your point?
Old Sep 8th 2010, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
I'm not a scientist, nor would I know how to collect stem cells, however I am in favour of stem cell research for the greater good of the people.

What's your point?
The important choice of who governs Australia didn't rest on whether stem cell research was for the greater good of the people and I doubt it ever will. There are bigger issues at stake other than the NBN but this idiot made his decision to go with labor based on a subject he openly admits he knows nothing about.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 9:30 pm

The important choice of who governs Australia didn't rest on whether stem cell research was for the greater good of the people and I doubt it ever will. There are bigger issues at stake other than the NBN but this idiot made his decision to go with labor based on a subject he openly admits he knows nothing about.
Unfortunately this is not unique within government, very few of them are actually "experts" in fields on which they have major impacts, most of them are (were) lawyers, party activists, union officials, merchant bankers etc. Added to which most of them are forced to vote along party lines not with either the evidence or their conscious.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 10:53 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by ex_exile
Thats not really true in any meaningful sense:

New England;
1st pref
Windsor 61%
Nationals 25%

Not even decided on preferences.

Lynne;
1st pref
Oakshott 47%
Nationals 35%
Labor 13%

Labor preferences would have gotten Oakshott over the line. People are being given the impression by the press and others that these were close seats decided on large coalition preferences this is simply not true as you can check on any of the election results sites but I got these figures directly from AEC website.

Some are unhappy some are happy, the unhappy ones are making noises is this unexpected?
Using your figures then...

New England;
1st pref
Windsor 61%
Nationals 25%
Labour 8%
and the vote goes to LABOR with 8%, even though 92% wanted an Independent or a Lib/Nat.

Lynne;
1st pref
Oakshott 47%
Nationals 35%
Labor 13%
and the vote goes to LABOR with 13%, even though 87% wanted an Independent or a Lib/Nat.

You say "Some are unhappy some are happy, the unhappy ones are making noises is this unexpected?"

Of course this is to be expected, especially as there are more unhappy ones than there are happy ones in those electorates.

Your answer however seemed to indicate that the argument is about the vote going to an Independent.

That is not the case. The main argument is that they should have been Independent wins. NOT Labor wins.

Old Sep 8th 2010, 11:04 pm
ABCDiamond

You questioned the objectivity of one of my sources earlier, so why are you using exclusively knocking quotes are you saying that no one is in favour of this?
The two sources are very different, yours; www.pollytics.com is a politically motivated website, whereas mine is showing a few individual opinions from the electorates in question, where 87% or 92% preferred someone other than Labor.
are you saying that no one is in favour of this?
No, I am not saying that no one was. Just that a majority appear not be in favour of the vote going Labors way.

Old Sep 8th 2010, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Using your figures then...

New England;
....the vote goes to LABOR with 8%, even though 92% wanted an Independent or a Lib/Nat.

Lynne;
...and the vote goes to LABOR with 13%, even though 87% wanted an Independent or a Lib/Nat.
Looking at it that way I doubt these independents will ever be voted in as MP's again.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 11:09 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Looking at it that way I doubt these independents will ever be voted in as MP's again.
I Agree. They are toast.

I really admire the one who went to coalition, doing that knowing he'd be taking himself effectively to losing side. Great courage.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Added to which most of them are forced to vote along party lines not with either the evidence or their conscious.
Do you mean conscience?
Old Sep 8th 2010, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

After the next election they will be relegated into history.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.