Acupuncture?

Old Sep 8th 2010, 6:43 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Acupuncture?

A good thing for pain relief anyone?

Was at one of my clients this morn (alternative medical centre) and the doc was telling me how he can sort out my pain with acupuncture.

Now my only experience with 'alternative' was a load of crap I got from a place back in blighty years ago to sort out another problem ... didn't work!

Sceptical! ...

Anyone?
Old Sep 8th 2010, 7:31 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Acupuncture?

I thought it was brilliant. I had frozen shoulder and whilst physio was working slowly, acupuncture really speeded the recovery up. Tiddler had it when she had a problem with her knee. She had to have an op to tidy up the cartilage and the acupuncture helped loads afterwards.

We were both very non believing before and she was actually scared of the needles but are now converts.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

I have had acupuncture for a knee injury that gave me more relief from pain than anything else (months of physio had done nothing), it has also been really good for sciatica. I also used it to get labour started when I was overdue with my daughter and they were threatening induction. I love it, and have used it as a general "pick me up" treatment when I wanted to be nice to myself but in my limited experience with natural therapies some things that work wonderfully for some people are useless for others; for example homeopathy has never done anything for any of my family, it's worked wonders for others I know, so I think that if something doesn't work it doesn't mean it's rubbish, it's just not right for you.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 8:23 am
ABCDiamond

Laser acupuncture worked very well for me, and NO needles

And it was bulk billed

Old Sep 8th 2010, 8:26 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

I had acupuncture whilst pregnant for backache-I thought it was great and I always had a great nights sleep after each session.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 8:51 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Good placebo, other then that useless.

All the real studies show thats it's not more effective then sham acupuncture

The word "alternative" means none scientific so in most cases bollocks.

Originally Posted by PaulandNic

Was at one of my clients this morn (alternative medical centre) and the doc was telling me how he can sort out my pain with acupuncture.

Now my only experience with 'alternative' was a load of crap I got from a place back in blighty years ago to sort out another problem ... didn't work!

Sceptical! ...

Anyone?
Old Sep 8th 2010, 9:05 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Well as someone who was not expecting anything to happen and having it done by someone who told me it may not help, to find it did and that there was an immediate improvement, sort of negates that but again, as has been said, it will work for some and possibly not for others. "Research" like "statistics" can be massaged to prove or deny something. I suggest Paul gives it a go. If it works, it works, if it doesn't then never mind.

However judging by the length of time he's had the problem and the pain and discomfort he's suffered, I don't think he'll lose anything by giving it a go.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 9:09 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by themerlin
The word "alternative" means none scientific so in most cases bollocks.
Just like all the Chinese medicine, and all the old remedies that seemed to work in that past.

As others have said, things are worth trying, they may work....

There are also many proven scientific remedies on the market for many ailments, but how many actually work for everyone ?

Old Sep 8th 2010, 9:11 am

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Worth a read http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?cat=8

But then again if you search long enough on the web I'm sure you can find an article that proves rubbing peanut butter on your scrotum will cure your back pain.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 9:25 am

Lots of those old remedies would have worked, and the ones that did would have the active ingredients tuned into modern medicine, the ones that didn't are sold as alternative.

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Just like all the Chinese medicine, and all the old remedies that seemed to work in that past.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 9:38 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Sceptical! ...

Anyone?
You don't say what the nature of the pain is, but a good remedial therapist can do wonders for musculoskeletal issues. That's something tangible. I have had a lot of acupuncture and I must confess the jury is still out where I'm concerned, but I keep an open mind.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 9:45 am
Account Closed

thanks for comments / views ...

Originally Posted by Centurion
You don't say what the nature of the pain is, but a good remedial therapist can do wonders for musculoskeletal issues. That's something tangible. I have had a lot of acupuncture and I must confess the jury is still out where I'm concerned, but I keep an open mind.
Bone pain. Long story but broken bone not knitted together. Looking like another op end of the year, but for now am just REALLY worried about my ibuprofen intake over the last 5+ years and would REALLY like to find an alternative for some relief till end of year.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 11:08 am
Crazy Cat Lady

thanks for comments / views ...

Bone pain. Long story but broken bone not knitted together. Looking like another op end of the year, but for now am just REALLY worried about my ibuprofen intake over the last 5+ years and would REALLY like to find an alternative for some relief till end of year.
Definitely give up the Ibuprofen Paul. I'm amazed you've not got an Ulcer. I'm not convinced of the benefits over plain old Panadol since having to stop taking Ibuprofen.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 11:18 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Definitely give up the Ibuprofen Paul. I'm amazed you've not got an Ulcer. I'm not convinced of the benefits over plain old Panadol since having to stop taking Ibuprofen.
It's the anti inflammatory tho Penny. I'll double up with paracetamol too if it's that bad, but paracetamol on it's own don't touch it, and I DO try.

Gonna go to the GP soon and see if something can be tested as can't be good.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 11:26 am
Crazy Cat Lady

It's the anti inflammatory tho Penny. I'll double up with paracetamol too if it's that bad, but paracetamol on it's own don't touch it, and I DO try.

Gonna go to the GP soon and see if something can be tested as can't be good.
Have you considered getting or using a tens machine? That could help with the inflamations when it's bad. After finding I was dangerously anaemic and then discovered two very nasty ulcers, I've become a bit of an anti Ibuprofen user (bit like an ex smoker) They didn't cause the ulcers but they certainly didn't help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.