Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

senior schools year 9 and up in w.a

senior schools year 9 and up in w.a

Old Mar 14th 2007, 6:14 pm
ASHO

ASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really nice
Default senior schools year 9 and up in w.a

Hi all has anyone got a girl aged 12 into school and how did she settle.Our daughter goes to a private school at the moment here and we are thinking of doing the same over there because we have heard that the level of education in W.A is a year maybe two behind ours.Is this true?
Any advice would be much appreciated thanks .
Old Mar 16th 2007, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: senior schools year 9 and up in w.a

My eldest was 11 when we arrived (5 years ago) and was a bit miffed at having to go back into primary, having spent nearly 2 years at middle school in the uk (children are classed as primary at age 12, high school starts age 13 at year 8). We were able to get all the children into private school though and have been very pleased with their progress. My son is now 12 and at private school and he is being challenged more with the work than my girls were at state primary, which they had to see out until year 7 due to the private school waiting list. I would say my son is doing work comparable to what he would have been doing at middle school in the same year but I couldn't say the same of state primary.

However having said that, my children attended "beacon" schools in the uk - top-ranking schools with high ofsted scores, so I'm not comparing like with like. I'm sure other people will come from poor primary schools in the uk to good ones here, state or otherwise. If your daughter is already getting excellent private education in the uk, I don't think you have much choice but to stick with private, she won't find state primary challenging enough, unless you can get her into a top achieving primary such as Rossmoyne or Applecross - but you'd be lucky to be able to buy a house in the catchment area.

The main priority now is getting her onto a waiting-list. Forget any of the top girls schools in Perth, you have to get on the lists before the baby's even born! If you wait until you arrive, you will have to take whatever school has places and that might not be in your chosen area to live, or maybe will not be your preferred religion. Where in WA are you heading for? Then maybe someone here can give you more info about schools in that area. If you know where you're heading, then you can go onto all the schools websites for that area and download applications forms and get them sent in, get your daughter on their lists asap. There will be an application fee for each one, $50 or so, but it's worth thinking about.

Last edited by Jacqui; Mar 16th 2007 at 2:05 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 10:11 pm
ASHO

ASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really nice

Hi Jacqui,
Thanks for the advice, we dont at the moment quite know where we want to live only that it will more than likely be W.A possibly Bunbry,Busselton or even Mandrah as we have family in Dunsborough.We hope to come over end of this year so we will look into the schools in a big way and get the ball rolling as
you suggested.
Can you also tell me at what age you can start college as my son will be 16 when we arrive and will be looking to start in construction?
Thanks Alison.
Old Mar 17th 2007, 4:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Santa is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to behold

We live in Dunsborough, there is no senior education here so all children have to travel to Busselton. Our daughter who is 12 goes to an Anglican School called Georgiana Molloy in Busselton. You pay fees, but you'll be very happy with the amount after paying fees in the UK !
Other options include Cornerstone and Mackillop College which also are fee paying school. My daughter has friends at these school and on the whole seem very happy.
Busselton Senior High is much the same as any other Senior school, some say it has problems, others say it's excellent. Who do you believe ? It's a big school, so I guess you have to take the word of everyone.
One other option is Bunbury Grammer. A number of children from Dunsborough go to Bunbury, only problem is the time it takes to travel, I heard it's 1 hour 30 on the coach. Having said that, it's excellent.
Hope this helps
Mark
Old Mar 17th 2007, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Santa View Post
We live in Dunsborough, there is no senior education here so all children have to travel to Busselton.
Well I never knew that, that would put me off settling in Dunsborough for sure. I know that families living in Harvey or Waroona have similar dilemmas, there are plenty that travel to Mandurah for schooling, and that must be a good an hour or more on the school bus. I've never heard of the private schools you mentioned Mark. Our kids all being competitive swimmers, get to compete in all the Interschool events, the most recent one being held at Bunbury, and they meet up with other children from all over the state. Apart from a better education, kids at private schools get more opportunities to represent their school in sporting events too, whether it's swimming, athletics, equestrian, hockey, there's always something going on (and of course extra costs for the separate uniform, bus & entry fees to the stadium, etc )

My daughter has just turned 16 and is in Year 11. The school leaving age has been raised, so at this age they have to either complete years 11 and 12, go to college, or start an apprenticeship. So your son will be able to start college ok. You'll have to do a search and see where the local TAFE colleges are located, and together with the private school search, this will help narrow down your location choices! There is a TAFE in Mandurah on the same site as the Murdoch Uni campus, over the road from the top-scoring private school Frederick Irwin Anglican. So we're lucky, we have all 3 located close together, just 10mins from where we live. I don't know if Busselton or Dunsborough have a TAFE but Bunbury will.

We've holidayed in Bunbury, Busselton and Dunsborough, all lovely places for a holiday, we couldn't live there though, too far from Perth (hubby's in I.T.). Even if you end up living away from your rellies, it will always be nice to visit them in Dunsborough. My sister lives in Australind so we don't see as much of her as we'd like, but at least the journey is easy and only just over an hour.
Old Mar 17th 2007, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

hi, i live in Bunbury, Dalyellup. There is a few private schools here.
I work next door to the Grammar school, its a good school and is about 12,000 per year. In Dalyellup there is also the Lutheran college, that cost about 1300 per year, very nice school.
We are in the process of building a middle shool in Dalyellup, to be completed in 2008.
Kids can leave school after year ten if they have a apprentiship or go to TAFE [ college] . If they are going to Uni. they would stay on until year 12.
Denise