Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Senior School. State Vs Private ?

Wikiposts

Senior School. State Vs Private ?

Old Apr 6th 2005, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Senior School. State Vs Private ?

Originally Posted by Berian
Don't be phased by references to a religious denomination. The Oz education system was set up by the church and thus there will always be that link. Some teachers I know seem to have even found their faith in order to progress careers! However there are of course more fundemental estbalishmnets and teaching based solely on the Bible can be a tad narrow.B
I'd agree with that. My kids have attended two private schools - an 'anglican' primary school and 'presbyterian' High School. In neither case was the religion promoted particularly - certainly nothing like it is in catholic schools. Neither school required baptism or letters from Ministers before the kids were offered places (wouldn't have many pupils if it did!). For a non-religious family like us, it has been quite bearable.

The schools with the biggest fundamentalist bent (and the ones to avoid if you don't want that sort of thing) are the 'Christian' schools - who promote their teaching as 'Christ-centred' - where even the Maths (!) text books have little Christian mottos on each page.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Seabird
Thanks Gday

You should have received some for being so kind and letting me know..

Thanks Seabird - you forgot to say whom it was from, but now I know

Last edited by G'Day; Apr 6th 2005 at 7:18 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Berian
Having worked in a private school on the Coast I can offer:

Don't be phased by references to a religious denomination. The Oz education system was set up by the church and thus there will always be that link. Some teachers I know seem to have even found their faith in order to progress careers! However there are of course more fundemental estbalishmnets and teaching based solely on the Bible can be a tad narrow.

Cetainly my experience of the top Coast private school for boys (TSS) was some way different to my daily work in the UK - no Sir, no thnak you for the lesson and getting away with as little as possible. It was laid back but with continual assessment pupils did take a real ownership of thier studies. The extra-curricular aspect was of course excellent with sport, a week's camp etc.

If we ever get back my daughters will go private - no question - given the eldest is rather shy and retiring. Don't think she'd survive in a large state school (where my wife worked) and needs the more 'caring' environment.

At the end of the day you know your children and what they need. For some state will be absolutley fine ... for others ...

B
You are absolutely correct, different strokes for different folks. But you are also correct in saying that there seems to be a bit of a more "caring" environment in private schools. Maybe you don't pay for a better education per se, but for a bit more personal attention to be paid to your children at school - and that's all I want. In the end each child will do according to their abilities and personal discipline.