Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sending references with Resumes?

Sending references with Resumes?

Old May 3rd 2006, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Sending references with Resumes?

I read someone that it is standard practice in Australia to attach references to your resume/CV when applying for jobs? Is this really the case?
Old May 3rd 2006, 9:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sending references with Resumes?

Originally Posted by sparkley23
I read someone that it is standard practice in Australia to attach references to your resume/CV when applying for jobs? Is this really the case?
I am a former human resources manager, left Oz 8 yrs ago. It was definitely the practice when I left. As for now? Well, I know a lot of things can change in this time, but if/when I apply for jobs there, I'll def attached references....and also copies of relevant certificates/course attendances.

Good luck with it.
Old May 3rd 2006, 10:58 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

I suppose it might depend upon how much weight your prospective employer would put on those references. If they are there just to confirm you are what you say you are then you can leave them off. If they add more to your application then include them.

FWIW I haven't included refs on my resume for a few years now, and I'm not aware that it has lost me any jobs (but then how would I know?).
I much rather be in control of someone contacting referees. I can then choose at that time whose details I wish to give and advise that person that they will be contacted by so and so and the reasons why. My referee might not be aware that I am applying for jobs, so I'd like to be the first to tell them.
The last line of my resume is: References can be provided.

HTH.
Old May 4th 2006, 12:00 am
Coventry to Caloundra....

joeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
I suppose it might depend upon how much weight your prospective employer would put on those references. If they are there just to confirm you are what you say you are then you can leave them off. If they add more to your application then include them.

FWIW I haven't included refs on my resume for a few years now, and I'm not aware that it has lost me any jobs (but then how would I know?).
I much rather be in control of someone contacting referees. I can then choose at that time whose details I wish to give and advise that person that they will be contacted by so and so and the reasons why. My referee might not be aware that I am applying for jobs, so I'd like to be the first to tell them.
The last line of my resume is: References can be provided.

HTH.
i think...have your referees on you resume cos its easy and open for employers to see/contact them. also as long as they dont say 'resume and selection criteria only' send copies of references and testimonials cos its all adds to the evidence of your experience/skills
Old May 4th 2006, 12:03 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

I work in recruitment here and I would only attach references if they specifically ask for them.
Old May 4th 2006, 12:19 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by joeyballantyne
i think...have your referees on you resume cos its easy and open for employers to see/contact them. also as long as they dont say 'resume and selection criteria only' send copies of references and testimonials cos its all adds to the evidence of your experience/skills
Maybe we should have a poll?

Just to clarify, when I talk about references I mean the name, contact details and relationship of people who can answer questions regarding their experience of your aptitude/attitude/experience.

I don't mean written testimonials expounding your credentials.
If I had any I would include them
Old May 4th 2006, 12:31 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience most employers want to to write a report on how well you address the selection criteria. The CV although important is not as important as the report.

Also at my place my reference givers were contacted by phone and were asked detailed questions about my past performance including any weaknesses in might have had.
Old May 4th 2006, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by renth
In my experience most employers want to to write a report on how well you address the selection criteria. The CV although important is not as important as the report.

Also at my place my reference givers were contacted by phone and were asked detailed questions about my past performance including any weaknesses in might have had.
I got the impression that along with your 2-3 page resume, you should attach actual page references. I would much rather just give the names of the referees they can contact so think I will just do that and see how far it gets me!
Old May 4th 2006, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Alison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond repute

I put email addresses for the people giving the references on my CV instead of phone numbers due to time difference between Oz and UK. This made it easier for verification of my references and any further questions they may have.

Ali
Old May 4th 2006, 11:25 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
That has me worried :scared: Here in the UK it's now standard practice for large companies to just give out a generic reference. It confirms that John/Jane Bloggs has worked for the company from [date] to [date] as [job title] and earned [£ gross salary]. If you're lucky, they may add a sentence like "we are sorry to see him/her leave". (In my old company, if you had a performance grade of 1 - the top - you got the last sentence added.)

That's all a company will say! If Oz employers expect they can phone someone and ask them "detailed questions" and are given the brush off, they'll think that's fishy and not give me a job!

Gina
Old May 4th 2006, 11:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaUK
That has me worried :scared: Here in the UK it's now standard practice for large companies to just give out a generic reference. It confirms that John/Jane Bloggs has worked for the company from [date] to [date] as [job title] and earned [£ gross salary]. If you're lucky, they may add a sentence like "we are sorry to see him/her leave". (In my old company, if you had a performance grade of 1 - the top - you got the last sentence added.)

That's all a company will say! If Oz employers expect they can phone someone and ask them "detailed questions" and are given the brush off, they'll think that's fishy and not give me a job!

Gina

A lot of UK businesses now have a policy of not giving verbal references. This is certainly true of the last two places I have worked.
Old May 4th 2006, 11:34 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Gina
I had this situation with my UK emplyers, as they were not allowed to give very personal references, just the generic stuff. I got round this by having some of the senior staff, including my supervisor, write e refernces before I left. They understood that I would not use them in the UK. I took them to interviews in Aus, where they were accepted. I also explained the situation with generic references to prospective employers, and provided them with personal phone numbers and email addresses for the guys willing to help me out. I know a couple of emails were sent to the UK, one by a major motoring organisation, and one by the Qld Govt, both of whom preferred to contact a supervisor, rather than a faceless HR department!
Old May 4th 2006, 11:37 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Gina
I can only give you the experience I have had at UWA. Different sectors might be different but if you want to work at a Uni, and I suspect in either local, state govt or in the health system you might find your references are checked.

Or am I confusing references with referees?

Any nurses out there who can offer a different experience?
Old May 4th 2006, 5:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
Maybe we should have a poll?

Just to clarify, when I talk about references I mean the name, contact details and relationship of people who can answer questions regarding their experience of your aptitude/attitude/experience.

I don't mean written testimonials expounding your credentials.
If I had any I would include them

Ah - you mean referees
Old May 4th 2006, 8:49 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I had this situation with my UK emplyers, as they were not allowed to give very personal references, just the generic stuff. I got round this by having some of the senior staff, including my supervisor, write e refernces before I left. They understood that I would not use them in the UK. I took them to interviews in Aus, where they were accepted. I also explained the situation with generic references to prospective employers, and provided them with personal phone numbers and email addresses for the guys willing to help me out. I know a couple of emails were sent to the UK, one by a major motoring organisation, and one by the Qld Govt, both of whom preferred to contact a supervisor, rather than a faceless HR department!
Thanks, Pollyana,

that sounds like a plan: will try something along similar lines for hubby and myself. Very glad I found out about this now.

Thanks.

Gina

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.