Reload this Page >

Sending presents back to UK

Sending presents back to UK

Old Oct 20th 2009, 11:24 pm
Mikey82

Mike82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Sending presents back to UK

Hi guys

We are heading for our first xmas in oz and just wondered what is the best way or recommended way to send presents back to family? Also does anyone know the cut off dates to send them to make sure they arrive for xmas?

Any info would be greatfully appreciated.

Mikey an Claire
Old Oct 20th 2009, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sending presents back to UK

According to the Aus Post website (for parcels) "Sea Mail delivery can take between 2 and 3 months" - so you'd have to send them now (or last month!) to guarantee delivery by Christmas

What about shopping online @ UK stores and getting the presents sent directly from them ... save you the postage (pretty expensive to send stuff from here)

cheers
shears
Old Oct 21st 2009, 4:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mike82
Hi guys

We are heading for our first xmas in oz and just wondered what is the best way or recommended way to send presents back to family? Also does anyone know the cut off dates to send them to make sure they arrive for xmas?

Any info would be greatfully appreciated.

Mikey an Claire
21st September by boat. Cheaper to fly back with them yourself than send anything heavy by air.......
Old Oct 21st 2009, 9:05 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gjn200
21st September by boat. Cheaper to fly back with them yourself than send anything heavy by air.......
I'm a firm devotee now of Amazon who will deliver direct to the UK address, and often gift wrap too
Old Oct 21st 2009, 9:40 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I use internet companies who gift wrap and deliver. I never actually see the pressies You're too late for ship post and air post is painfully expensive. However, if you do use airmail don't put down the true value of the gift. Just say 'gift' and put about $25 on the form (or less of course).
Old Oct 21st 2009, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
However, if you do use airmail don't put down the true value of the gift. Just say 'gift' and put about $25 on the form (or less of course).
Is that really ok to do, just write 'gift'? I always try to be creative with the truth and make things sound more boring than they are. It's horrible to send, and receive, gifts with the true contents listed cos it takes all the fun out of the surprise of opening a parcel from overseas
Old Oct 21st 2009, 11:36 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cappuccino
Is that really ok to do, just write 'gift'? I always try to be creative with the truth and make things sound more boring than they are. It's horrible to send, and receive, gifts with the true contents listed cos it takes all the fun out of the surprise of opening a parcel from overseas
I put gift and not had any comeback. I sometimes put a bit more info but like you object to sending something and having the contents labelled on the outside sort of defeats the object.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Our local post office makes you write what the gift is on the customs form!

I've sat and done a huge amount of Christmas Shopping today. All going to a friend who will deliver in the UK for me. I've used QVC, Liz Earle, Amazon and Hotel Chocolat. Easy!
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 12:42 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

I never post pressies home either - I'm an online shopper all the way
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 3:20 am
Mikey82

Mike82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Sending presents back to UK

Thanks for the info guys, looks like i will be doing quite a bit of internet shopping then!!

Cheers

Michael
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the customs form says you must not just put gift down and items must be listed.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 8:51 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I'm a firm devotee now of Amazon who will deliver direct to the UK address, and often gift wrap too
Me too. It used to drive me mad looking for something ok to post and then paying for the postage. Now I can choose big things or more delicate things that I would never have posted from here before.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 8:55 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Yes the customs form says you must not just put gift down and items must be listed.
I guess it depends on how nice your Customer Services Representative () is at Aus Post. We've got a nice bunch, even the cow who must have been suffering PMS one time and I've often got away with gift.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

No, I mean it says on the actual form that you stick to the parcel 'do not put gift'.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 9:46 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
No, I mean it says on the actual form that you stick to the parcel 'do not put gift'.
I realise that, however the lovely lovely ladies (in case they're reading) at the Aus Post I use check the form and have let 'gift' through on many occasions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.