Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sending presents back to the UK

Sending presents back to the UK

Old Aug 13th 2004, 5:03 pm

chris n will become famous soon enoughchris n will become famous soon enough
Default Sending presents back to the UK

Thinking ahead for next year (bithdays & Christmas etc) - how do people send presents back to the UK for family members? Do you all send presents back or was migration a good excuse to stop sending presents to all your members of the family?

Would especiallty like to hear any responses from people already in Australia.

Cheers,

Chris
Old Aug 13th 2004, 9:31 pm
mick n cheryl

Default Re: Sending presents back to the UK

Originally Posted by chris n
Thinking ahead for next year (bithdays & Christmas etc) - how do people send presents back to the UK for family members? Do you all send presents back or was migration a good excuse to stop sending presents to all your members of the family?

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris,

We still send pressies and cards back to the uk from here in Mackay. The post takes around 10 days and we tend to send LIGHT pressies back
The cost is not that great a card only costs $1.50 I thing and the most we have paid so far for pressies was about $20 (NRL beach towels & stubby coolers, towels a bit heavy!!). As far a recieving pressies though not really had any Kids tend to get sent Aussie dollars in cards from Grandad etc back in UK.

Mick n Cheryl

Old Aug 13th 2004, 9:32 pm
Hilton`s

Hilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to all

My husbands brother and his wife and 2 kids aged 7 and 3 emigrated last
Nov. Nothing was said beforehand but when it came to my niece`s
birthday we just sent a card and when it was one of my son`s birthday a
month later they did the same. It wasn`t being stingy or anything like that
it just seems easier as I don`t know what my niece has and hasn`t got out
there and as my son`s are older they usually get given money and this
would also be awkward. If and when we get our visas (fingers crossed)
and we join them it may well go back to how it used to be but until then
everybody seems fine with the way things are.

Bye for now,

Tracey x
Old Aug 13th 2004, 10:54 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Parcels sent regular post (even recorded delivery or registered post) have been known to 'disappear' in the postal system.

Jeremy

Cheers,

Chris

Last edited by JAJ; Aug 13th 2004 at 11:05 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2004, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

jinxnkay is on a distinguished road

i still have a bank account with cash in in england with a switch card and also an english visa card. i order stuff off english websites to be delivered in uk. some websites only deliver to address that the visa card is registered which isnt a prob for me, i changed my address to my parents before i came so if the present gets delivered there my mum passes it on for me. some sites even gift wrap.
Old Aug 13th 2004, 11:07 pm
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jinxnkay
i still have a bank account with cash in in england with a switch card and also an english visa card. i order stuff off english websites to be delivered in uk. some websites only deliver to address that the visa card is registered which isnt a prob for me, i changed my address to my parents before i came so if the present gets delivered there my mum passes it on for me. some sites even gift wrap.
We do exactly the same, buy stuff online from shops in UK.....Next M&S etc. Same with buying flowers, its much easier and saves stuff going awol in the post.
Old Aug 14th 2004, 12:03 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Cheers,

Chris

Chris

I had to send my mums bday present last weekend. I had searched the web and found only one site that would ship internationally. I wanted to purchase a present here so I could pay dollars I did not want to pay pounds and then it work out loads in dollars.

Interflora was $100 for the cheapest bouquet. And not really what I wanted. In the end I decided to buy a pressie here and send by post.

I actually bought her pressie from the Australian Geographic shop which has great pressies representing the country we now reside in.

I sent it Saturday afternoon and it was delivered to her on Wednesday. Auspost has boxes that are decorative for pressies.

It weighed 600g but I discovered that the price I paid $20.50 Airmail delivery 3 -10 days was the price for 500g - 20kg,

Had I known this I would've preplanned and sent over a few pressies at the same time. For xmas I am sending one parcel for the recipient to distrubute for me.

I was impressed with how quick the parcel was received in the UK.

Hope this helps

Jo
Old Aug 14th 2004, 12:07 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

My Mum sent me a letter in the post from Bendigo in Victoria on a Friday afternoon. I had it here in my hand on Monday morning post....

Without a word of a lie!!!! It got here quicker than a letter that was posted to me on the same day from Central London...and I live in Middlesex...
Old Aug 14th 2004, 12:10 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Our first year here we sent back Xmas presents in December but the bloody postage cost more than the pressies. Now we buy in July / Aug & post them normal post in September i.e they go by ship. Its much cheaper & fingers crossed so far all arrived on time.
Old Aug 14th 2004, 1:59 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
Our first year here we sent back Xmas presents in December but the bloody postage cost more than the pressies. Now we buy in July / Aug & post them normal post in September i.e they go by ship. Its much cheaper & fingers crossed so far all arrived on time.
Theres an option called "Economy Air" as well, only a couple of days longer than normal air, and its cheaper. I shall use Surface Mail for Christmas though, send it late September.

Remember to post a parcel from a here, you need to take passport or driving licence to prove your identity at the Post Office first! Caught me out the first couple of times!!
Old Aug 17th 2004, 5:50 pm

chris n will become famous soon enoughchris n will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the responses & ideas. Do people that use UK sites use both UK and Australian credit cards to order with?

Cheers,

Chris
Old Aug 17th 2004, 6:20 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the responses & ideas. Do people that use UK sites use both UK and Australian credit cards to order with?

Cheers,

Chris
Yes........I use both AUS and UK credit card to buy things with and it depends on the exchange rate or how flush I am which one I use

I also use a combination of all advice offered above. I still have a UK cheque book and account to send birthday cards with money(?) in to special nephew!

Other family combinations we agree to buy pressies ourselves in the country and write from Auntie/Uncle/Gran etc on the labels and pre warn them the kids will be thanking them for the lovely necklace/skateboard/boogie board etc.

We also send loads back with visiting rellies when we can, and get them to distribute gifts when the time is right.

Best presents we recieved/sent to date are the personal letters that you can keep...giving family news without rancour.

Other pressies that hit the spot.
M&S knickers in post for me....just thongs!
Sent Kangaroo skin back for nephew.....well pleased???!!!
'Through the Keyhole' self made video of our house
Other DVD made up photo albums
Kids school photos.....and any other bits of kids memoribila that is easy to post.

with visiting rellies also have IOU accounts....means we owe them and if we know people are coming we save up the pressie and will all dine out with us paying when they arrive.

PS family owe me loads at the moment...my 40th this year!

Cheers
Old Aug 17th 2004, 7:21 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sandra
PS family owe me loads at the moment...my 40th this year!

Cheers
You sad old fart.

Like me.