Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

sending my purchased gifts etc to uk from oz

sending my purchased gifts etc to uk from oz

Old Mar 1st 2007, 3:04 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default sending my purchased gifts etc to uk from oz

I am in oz right now heading home in a few weeks time after being here 3 months,i have purchased a few items while being here and getting them ready and packed to send home just items and gifts i have purchased while here for myself and family and also a few little items from fiji,what i need to know is what are you allowed as in value to send stuff back home,do i give it a value or not i dont think its insured with the service i am using do i give proper list of each item or just say personal items,clothing etc,but then saying that some items in there from fiji might look like weapons when scanned but there only wooden wall hanging type things,guys i am sending with said im best to mention whats inside incase they wonder what they are,i thought the less info the better as does that not give to much info as to whats inside box therefore items going missing or being stolen,need advise here as plan on sending the box soon and dont know what i should do regarding the list of items and what i say etc.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sending my purchased gifts etc to uk from oz

Personally I always write exactly what is in the package
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

anyone else?
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 5:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

I always declare exactly what is in the parcel as well. I'd say especially if you have something that looks like a weapon it is best to list it. From the UK Customs site:

It is in your own interest to ensure, wherever possible, that the sender abroad makes a complete and accurate declaration. If no declaration is made, or the information is inaccurate, the package may be delayed while we make further enquiries, or in some cases the package and its contents may be seized.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 6:14 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't your last post talk about posting a samurai sword or something? If you really are sending stuff like that, I wouldn't bank on it being accepted by Aus Post, never mind it getting to the Royal Mail. Remember Aus Post will record your ID details when posting it, and will come back to you if it is stopped at Customs somewhere.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Didn't your last post talk about posting a samurai sword or something? If you really are sending stuff like that, I wouldn't bank on it being accepted by Aus Post, never mind it getting to the Royal Mail. Remember Aus Post will record your ID details when posting it, and will come back to you if it is stopped at Customs somewhere.
I did not go for the samurai swords but the things i have that look like weapond if scanned are wooden hanging clubs and cannibal forks etc from fiji.
But what about value how much is allowed before customs hit you with fees,i know that if i put say gifts and personal belongings i should be ok?
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

See here:

The section on gifts is below:

2.4 Gifts
Goods sent as a gift are not free of import duties and import VAT. However, customs duty will not be collected if the amount is less than £7, and under EC Directives and Regulations excise duty and import VAT is not chargeable if:
  • the value of the gift does not exceed £36
  • the customs declaration is completed correctly
  • the gift has been sent from a private person outside the EU to a private person(s) in this country
  • the gift is for the use of either yourself or your family
  • there is no commercial or trade element and the gift has not been paid for either directly or indirectly
  • alcohol, tobacco products etc are within the allowances detailed in paragraphs 2.5 and 2.6
  • the gift is of an occasional nature only eg for a birthday or anniversary.