Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sending Meds Unrequested

Sending Meds Unrequested

Old Oct 20th 2004, 4:25 pm
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough
Default Sending Meds Unrequested

I was toying with the idea of sending our medicals to Adelaide unrequested, as there is a lot of talk about it on here.
Our skilled independant application was received early february 2004.
Anyways I rang the medical place to book an appointment for my family and I, they said I needed a 'form 20'.
So I rang my agent to enquire about this and he said that we cant possibly send our meds unrequested as they require an official seal from Adelaide. Plus if we did this they could possibly ask to do them again, therefore making us pay twice!
When I pointed out that many people on the forums have sent them unrequested he got all shirty and reckoned they were lying!
In the end he said he would send me the appropiate forms but also a letter for me to sign absolving him from any responsibility.

So what should I do?
Bite the bullet and wait...or ignore his advice and get the meds done?
Old Oct 20th 2004, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Sending Meds Unrequested

Hi

we did ours unrequested, applied Aug 2003, got meds & police check done Nov 2003 and granted visa's Jan 2004, so go for it if you are ready to go within the year of first dated, either police check or meds, should be an agent now...lol
Old Oct 20th 2004, 4:42 pm
Go Banana's !!

We also did ours unrequested after weighing up all the pro's and cons. In the end it saved us at least 3 months.

Its a gamble only in terms of you timing out if you are not validated within 12 months of your meds or polic check date (which ever is soonest).

Remember to ensure that you put a covering letter in and your case number. I have never heard of an official seal before ?

Good luck.

Warren
Perth in 1 week today !!

Old Oct 21st 2004, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

We did our medicals requested and the only difference on our forms was that the CO had handwritten our case number on the form and stamped them with the Sydney address (post July application)
Old Oct 21st 2004, 8:57 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

plenty of people have gone unrequested (we're just about to front-load ours)

Agents will tell you letter of law - thats their job. Strictly speaking they're right the option to front-load is a little bit being cheeky you are supposed to wait for DIMIA to request the meds. But use of the word lying just shows a bit of ignorance of the whole concept of front loading which is pretty well known.

Having said that - nobody to date on this forum has had an issue doing them unrequested.

But.. On Gomatilda.com there is a news article dated 12th Oct this year saying that they 'expect' DIMIA to start refusing unrequested medicals...
The GoMatilda guys are very reputable and highly respected here so kinda trust their opinion.

In the end - it will save you maybe 21-25 days in what is a long process... so probably not worth the risk if you are pre-july. (21 days is 2 x 7 days post + 7 days for blood tests to come back). Since the meds are private you can get an appointment quite quickly.

This whole process has delay in-built to it, even as post July we've been working hard to get Skills Assesments, Meds, Pcc checks, etc and its taken 3-4mths of prep work to get ready to send the 47sk we hope to send next week (when bloods come back). it is awful to have to wait, but perhaps there is something in it.. at least it makes you really think about how much you want to go ! if it was easy I guess there'd be more boomerangs.