Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sending house funds to UK

Sending house funds to UK

Old Feb 3rd 2010, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

big_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud of
Default Sending house funds to UK

Hi All,

Have searched threads on this topic and have got some good advice but I just wanted to ask this specific question:

We just sold our flat in Melbourne and return to London later this year for 18 months. Given the good forex rate at the moment we are considering sending the full amount to the UK. Note we dont need this money as we will be renting in UK and it would just be going in a term deposit.

We have taken care of capitol gains tax etc and know about the tax on profit through forex deals.

Apart from that though, is there any regulations we have to meet to move this money? It just seems wierd wiring so much money to my current account in the UK. Will it raise suspicions etc?

Cheers
Matt
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 4:37 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sending house funds to UK

Originally Posted by big_matt
Apart from that though, is there any regulations we have to meet to move this money? It just seems wierd wiring so much money to my current account in the UK. Will it raise suspicions etc?
Nothing weird about it. There are no other regulations to consider.

Hopefully you will use a registered Forex broker. We used Ozforex.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 4:39 am
Forum Regular

big_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud of

Thanks. I use ozforex too. I couldnt find any reason for it not to be ok legally, I just thought it would raise suspicions when halifax suddenly get hundreds of thousands (aud) into a current account that hasn't been touched for 2 years lol!
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 4:47 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Hi All,

Have searched threads on this topic and have got some good advice but I just wanted to ask this specific question:

We just sold our flat in Melbourne and return to London later this year for 18 months. Given the good forex rate at the moment we are considering sending the full amount to the UK. Note we dont need this money as we will be renting in UK and it would just be going in a term deposit.

We have taken care of capitol gains tax etc and know about the tax on profit through forex deals.

Cheers
Matt

Interest rate for term deposit sucks in the UK. Would you not get a far better rate in a term deposit in Australia ?
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 4:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BAY
Interest rate for term deposit sucks in the UK. Would you not get a far better rate in a term deposit in Australia ?
We've thought about that but the rate is to come up in the UK as property interest rates rise, and we aren't too sure what will happen in the future. I'm from the UK and wouldnt like to leave it here only to find out in 3 years i want to stay in uk and the fx rate is now 35p and the amount in pounds has therefore almost halved.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 5:27 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

We've thought about that but the rate is to come up in the UK as property interest rates rise, and we aren't too sure what will happen in the future. I'm from the UK and wouldnt like to leave it here only to find out in 3 years i want to stay in uk and the fx rate is now 35p and the amount in pounds has therefore almost halved.
That would be nice, if the fx rate goes to 35p , I'm waiting to bring funds over to Oz from England, but only when the fx rate improves.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Why would you need to pay capital gains tax anyway unless its not your only property of course and if not why on the exchange rate. If you are returning to live in UK then you are entitled to move it over there its not like you moved money over here, banked it then moved it back at a favourable time. You sold a house. Of course I find tax a mine field and have no idea really but my understanding is if its you only residence you are selling and its the one you lived in, no tax is payable.

Jo