Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sending home movies to the folks via the net.

Sending home movies to the folks via the net.

Old Dec 31st 2005, 6:20 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sending home movies to the folks via the net.

Can they only view your shared file though not delete stuff in it???
Old Jan 15th 2006, 6:02 am

So have any of you used free storage sites and if so which???
Old Jan 15th 2006, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by extrameant
you can use http://www.yousendit.com/ to send up to 1Gb very easy. i've used it a few times with no hassle. You can put yourself, or a hotmail address as the recipient, then they send you an email with a link you download the file from. You can just send that link to your folks. It stays there for a week I think.
Just checked movies I want to send more than 1GB but it was worth a try.
Old Jan 15th 2006, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

extrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really nice

Originally Posted by annqldau
Just checked movies I want to send more than 1GB but it was worth a try.
If you are set on doing it, you can get utilities that split files into any size (Winrar for one)
However, if you need that size of file, it makes a lot of sense to just post it as someone said.
It would be worth considering learning about DIVX, which compresses your video a lot. You need to watch it on a special DVD player or a computer with DIVX on it though. Typically, a 1/2 hr video would be about 250Mb.
Old Jan 15th 2006, 7:42 pm

Think i'll use the post method starting to sound way to complicated especially at the other end they are over 70yrs.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 7:41 am

Sorry to harp on but need to try and send something before the mother disowns me, has anyone sent files with msn, skype or aol and which will let you send the largest...it says online yahoo will file transfer but then can't send anything in the yahoo messanger prefferences to say it will transfer them as peer to peer.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

I would burn it to a disc and post it, then they've got it for ever, it's on disc so they can watch it/show it to others on a DVD player in their living room.
Also, if you send it to their PC online, would they know how to burn it to DVD from their PC? do they even have a DVD burner drive?

BTW - I use www.yousendit.com for large files but I have unlimited upload/downloads with works and home broadband. I believe in oz you may have limits on broadband?

Andy
Old Jan 16th 2006, 2:38 pm
Gold Member

skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond repute

You can put it on a hub and send it with dc++ or bit torrents!
Old Jan 17th 2006, 12:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies guys.... yousendit, seems a great option.

My father can burn his own DVD's

I'm orf to look up dc++ now lol
Old Jan 17th 2006, 12:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I'm orf to look up dc++ now lol

Blimey another one that I Hadn't heard off.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 6:19 am

Most files are to big for sendit as it is a sony dvd recorder, could send it on dvd but if I can figure out an email or messanger way I can send it to more people.

I think I will have to find the old programme I had that converted them to windows media files...as tried to send one on aol this morning as peer to peer drop in and it crashed when only 150 kb left to send of 2,000 kb's can't win... .

Think the torrent bit is to complicated for parents but they do have lap top so can watch on either computer if I can figure out easy way to get file to them and they know how to do ordinary download and save.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 6:20 am

PS... did find this site http://www.megashares.com/ which offers bigger file size than sendit but does use frequent advertising while things are going on and the advertising seemed a bit on the raunchy side, may be ok for some others to use though.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 11:16 am

Did find a program that will reduce dvd handycam recordings to smaller size by making them windows media acceptable.

Window Media Encoder from Microsoft of all people but it like everything else seems to be tempramental when it comes to the larger files.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 11:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Just making this a general discussion (because I'm about to purchase a camcorder), is a good way to go to record whatever on a DVD camcorder (making sure the recipient's player will accept +R, +RW, -R, -RW or whatever format your camcorder has)?

The 8 cm DVD discs which are used can be put into any player/PC/laptop which has the little recess in the tray (I've yet to see one without). Does anyone have a DVD camcorder or have any recommendations?

The new Canon DC20 seems to be quite highly regarded but I did read somewhere that someone experienced 'freezing' between scenes when the disc was put into their player which could only be fixed by switching on and off each time!

It seems so easy to film direct to DVD, edit on PC or camcorder, pop the DVD in the post (burn copies if you want them to go to > 1 person).

http://www.prcdirect.co.uk/PRC/PRC.s...N/product/DC20

Any comments greatly appreciated.

OzTennis
Old Jan 26th 2006, 8:51 am

We bought a Sony Handycam for those reasons but, once here realised that being able to email the file would be easier than sending dvd as you had to duplicate and lost the time element of quick send and were limited to sending to one person instead of lots in one email. So would recommend some sort of camera that is windows media/email compatable.

Sony Handycam was supposed to video stream salesman told us turned out to bollocks it doesn't and most movie editing programmes won't recognise it as a capture device. Have uploaded dvd to pc but then it's mpg and most programmes won't recognise that or change it to wmv to email.

So your choice of Cannon may well be worth further investigation as on the ease of transfer/sending back home Sony gets the thumbs down... .