Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sending home movies to the folks via the net.

Sending home movies to the folks via the net.

Old Dec 28th 2005, 2:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sending home movies to the folks via the net.

Whats the best way, to send little movies, say 45megs, through to 200 megs, to the folks via the net. Email obviously is out because of the size. Before the advent of peer to peer programs, like napster and kazaa etc, I used to use FTP programs. Is ftp still the way to go ?

Torrentsn maybe ? I need to set something up in the next couple of days.

MSN doesn't do it does it ? I dont use msn currently, if it does, will sign on straight away
Old Dec 28th 2005, 2:39 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Sending home movies to the folks via the net.

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Whats the best way, to send little movies, say 45megs, through to 200 megs, to the folks via the net. Email obviously is out because of the size. Before the advent of peer to peer programs, like napster and kazaa etc, I used to use FTP programs. Is ftp still the way to go ?

MSN doesn't do it does it ? I dont use msn currently, if it does, will sign on straight away
Does your ISP provide you with some Free web space ?

If so, FTP it up to that, and they can download it from there.

Old Dec 28th 2005, 2:41 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I used skype the other day but that requires both ends to be online. ABCs method is good if you have the space.
Old Dec 28th 2005, 2:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Good idea never used that method before. I think I get 45 megs with IInet.

Thanks guys.
Old Dec 28th 2005, 3:02 am
birmingham to brisbane

cam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nice

i believe you can do it with msn which is a bit slower bit it works

if you zip the file and then grab it and drop it into the conversation box (the one you type into) it will ask the other user to accept and then it will start the transfer .. i used it a lot to send files to and from india when i was working with an indian company
Old Dec 28th 2005, 3:10 am
ABCDiamond

Good idea never used that method before. I think I get 45 megs with IInet.

Thanks guys.
If you do need more space, iinet charge $10 per Mb per year for any additional disk space.

Not good !
(I could sell you some of my spare space (I have over 9 Gigs of unused web space))

Old Dec 28th 2005, 4:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
If you do need more space, iinet charge $10 per Mb per year for any additional disk space.

Not good !
(I could sell you some of my spare space (I have over 9 Gigs of unused web space))

Lol,

Also Didn't realise that MSN, had that tool, that sounds like the easiest option.
Old Dec 28th 2005, 8:04 am
Living the dream downunde

Location: MeadowBank, Sydney, Aussie Land of Sea,Sun and Seashells
rapitts is an unknown quantity at this point

PM your email address and I will see what I can do.
Old Dec 28th 2005, 8:19 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

FTP it fella

Rich
Old Dec 28th 2005, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

extrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really nice

you can use http://www.yousendit.com/ to send up to 1Gb very easy. i've used it a few times with no hassle. You can put yourself, or a hotmail address as the recipient, then they send you an email with a link you download the file from. You can just send that link to your folks. It stays there for a week I think.
Old Dec 28th 2005, 9:15 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by extrameant
you can use http://www.yousendit.com/ to send up to 1Gb very easy. i've used it a few times with no hassle. You can put yourself, or a hotmail address as the recipient, then they send you an email with a link you download the file from. You can just send that link to your folks. It stays there for a week I think.
Job done!
Old Dec 28th 2005, 10:11 am
Sun Dodger

Bluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really nice

Why not use the regular post? I regularly send home DVDs by post for $1.60 each by Air Mail, which is a bloody bargain. Get The POSTpak CD/DVD mailers from Australia Post - especially designed for the job - they have a safe media insert in them to prevent the disk getting damaged, and have self-seals. I've even sneaked in 2 disks at a time on more than one occasion, or 1 disk & a few photos.

They get to UK in about a week - 10 days, but much less hassle than uploading IMO.
Old Dec 28th 2005, 10:24 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

I have sent dvd by email by first changing it to windows media player so smaller file size then can zip further if needs be. Got there ok.

And will replay on most systems as most people have media player.
Old Dec 28th 2005, 11:09 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Yahoo messenger works well too as they can grab it out of your shared file (which you have to give prior permission for them to access it) at anytime that suits them and dl it.

We used to do that before went to bed and then in the morning it was there to watch.
Old Dec 28th 2005, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't tried any of these - but did a quick google search and there seem to be loads of storage sites available.

Free Online Storage Sites

I'll have a look later and see if any are worth trying.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.