British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Sending home movies to the folks via the net. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/sending-home-movies-folks-via-net-344740/)

ozzieeagle Dec 28th 2005 2:31 am

Sending home movies to the folks via the net.

Whats the best way, to send little movies, say 45megs, through to 200 megs, to the folks via the net. Email obviously is out because of the size. Before the advent of peer to peer programs, like napster and kazaa etc, I used to use FTP programs. Is ftp still the way to go ?

Torrentsn maybe ? I need to set something up in the next couple of days.

MSN doesn't do it does it ? I dont use msn currently, if it does, will sign on straight away

ABCDiamond Dec 28th 2005 2:39 am

Re: Sending home movies to the folks via the net.

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Whats the best way, to send little movies, say 45megs, through to 200 megs, to the folks via the net. Email obviously is out because of the size. Before the advent of peer to peer programs, like napster and kazaa etc, I used to use FTP programs. Is ftp still the way to go ?

MSN doesn't do it does it ? I dont use msn currently, if it does, will sign on straight away

Does your ISP provide you with some Free web space ?

If so, FTP it up to that, and they can download it from there.

bondipom Dec 28th 2005 2:41 am

I used skype the other day but that requires both ends to be online. ABCs method is good if you have the space.

ozzieeagle Dec 28th 2005 2:48 am

Good idea never used that method before. I think I get 45 megs with IInet.

Thanks guys.

cam_uk Dec 28th 2005 3:02 am

i believe you can do it with msn which is a bit slower bit it works

if you zip the file and then grab it and drop it into the conversation box (the one you type into) it will ask the other user to accept and then it will start the transfer .. i used it a lot to send files to and from india when i was working with an indian company

ABCDiamond Dec 28th 2005 3:10 am

Good idea never used that method before. I think I get 45 megs with IInet.

Thanks guys.

If you do need more space, iinet charge $10 per Mb per year for any additional disk space.

Not good !
(I could sell you some of my spare space :D (I have over 9 Gigs of unused web space))

ozzieeagle Dec 28th 2005 4:00 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
If you do need more space, iinet charge $10 per Mb per year for any additional disk space.

Not good !
(I could sell you some of my spare space :D (I have over 9 Gigs of unused web space))

Lol,

Also Didn't realise that MSN, had that tool, that sounds like the easiest option.

rapitts Dec 28th 2005 8:04 am

PM your email address and I will see what I can do.

rossifumi Dec 28th 2005 8:19 am

FTP it fella

Rich

extrameant Dec 28th 2005 9:09 am

you can use http://www.yousendit.com/ to send up to 1Gb very easy. i've used it a few times with no hassle. You can put yourself, or a hotmail address as the recipient, then they send you an email with a link you download the file from. You can just send that link to your folks. It stays there for a week I think.

rossifumi Dec 28th 2005 9:15 am

Originally Posted by extrameant
you can use http://www.yousendit.com/ to send up to 1Gb very easy. i've used it a few times with no hassle. You can put yourself, or a hotmail address as the recipient, then they send you an email with a link you download the file from. You can just send that link to your folks. It stays there for a week I think.

Job done!

Bluerobot Dec 28th 2005 10:11 am

Why not use the regular post? I regularly send home DVDs by post for $1.60 each by Air Mail, which is a bloody bargain. Get The POSTpak CD/DVD mailers from Australia Post - especially designed for the job - they have a safe media insert in them to prevent the disk getting damaged, and have self-seals. I've even sneaked in 2 disks at a time on more than one occasion, or 1 disk & a few photos.

They get to UK in about a week - 10 days, but much less hassle than uploading IMO. :eek:

annqldau Dec 28th 2005 10:24 am

I have sent dvd by email by first changing it to windows media player so smaller file size then can zip further if needs be. Got there ok.

And will replay on most systems as most people have media player.

Siren & Brian Dec 28th 2005 11:09 am

Yahoo messenger works well too as they can grab it out of your shared file (which you have to give prior permission for them to access it) at anytime that suits them and dl it.

We used to do that before went to bed and then in the morning it was there to watch.

marco121068 Dec 28th 2005 12:09 pm

Haven't tried any of these - but did a quick google search and there seem to be loads of storage sites available.

Free Online Storage Sites

I'll have a look later and see if any are worth trying.