Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

sending gift i purchsed from oz home?

sending gift i purchsed from oz home?

Old Nov 23rd 2004, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default sending gift i purchsed from oz home?

Hi there i purchased a real croc head from darwin and i asked the lady where i purchased it if it was ok to post it home, they said no customs will take it away and i will lose my money is this right?

As i have spoken to someone before that said they sent there one to someone and it was ok,i have the papers with it so i cant see any problems with sending it back as it would be one less item i take back home with me.

Does anyone know if this is right as it there was a problem then i just take it with me as i go home soon.

Also has many people taken a diji home with them in the plane as i purchased one and it was real expensive about $75 to send home and as i was going home soon i thought i would take it with me is it real safe to do so or does a lot go missing.

I was an expensive diji well more than some and i just did not want to pay the extra to send home, also when i was in darwin and thats where i got it i saw in the post office a box i could buy for about $4 but since i have looked in others i have not seen any, are these available in most post offices or not as i have not seen it again or would i need to ask as maybe they are not available on shelfs.

I am in adelaide and heading for darwin so i could get one in these places.
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 12:37 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: sending gift i purchsed from oz home?

I dont know how big you'd need it, but this is all the Post Office seems to sell as standard. http://www.auspost.com.au/BCP/0,1080...7EMO19,00.html
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 1:47 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I would imagine UK Customs might have a problem with the croc head - does it come under the imported endangered species laws? Also I know you can't send live animals through the mail...maybe dead animals come under the same rules?
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I would imagine UK Customs might have a problem with the croc head - does it come under the imported endangered species laws? Also I know you can't send live animals through the mail...maybe dead animals come under the same rules?
i dont have clue i just know that its dead and well dead and is sold in gift shops and has some paper work with it that i have not looked at that much so you think i better carry this home with me?
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 2:32 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brian.w
i dont have clue i just know that its dead and well dead and is sold in gift shops and has some paper work with it that i have not looked at that much so you think i better carry this home with me?
To be honest I don't know and can't find an answer on the customs site. ABC Diamond might know, hes a mine of info!
Or try emailing Customs -
[email protected]

I would guess that taking it on the plane would be better than sending by post......
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 6:57 pm

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light

About the didj,

My other half bought a didj (not sure that's the right spelling!) in Oz and brought it back to the UK (he brought it with him on the aircraft, rather than posting it). What he did was wrap it in *a lot* of bubble wrap (no box) and write fragile all over it, then he checked it in when he got to the airport. It arrived in the same condition as when it left!

-Sara.
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 11:23 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by brian.w
Hi there i purchased a real croc head from darwin and i asked the lady where i purchased it if it was ok to post it home, they said no customs will take it away and i will lose my money is this right?

As i have spoken to someone before that said they sent there one to someone and it was ok,i have the papers with it so i cant see any problems with sending it back as it would be one less item i take back home with me.

Does anyone know if this is right as it there was a problem then i just take it with me as i go home soon.

Also has many people taken a diji home with them in the plane as i purchased one and it was real expensive about $75 to send home and as i was going home soon i thought i would take it with me is it real safe to do so or does a lot go missing.

I was an expensive diji well more than some and i just did not want to pay the extra to send home, also when i was in darwin and thats where i got it i saw in the post office a box i could buy for about $4 but since i have looked in others i have not seen any, are these available in most post offices or not as i have not seen it again or would i need to ask as maybe they are not available on shelfs.

I am in adelaide and heading for darwin so i could get one in these places.
When you purchased the farmed croc head (or any animal product such as that)you should have had a small certificate with it ( check your paperwork in the box, you may have one). Any good reputable shop should have advised you of this when you bought it, which basically clears it for export, and British customs should and do accept that.

I purchased a few cane toad purses a while back to send home for people. They all came with a certificate ( which did not cost any more on top)clearing them with the customs. I can't remember what the exact wording on them were.

If you notice in this below link ( online shop croc heads and such), they charge $30 on top for export clearance, the wildlife act. Basically it is a certificate which clears them with the customs. And the Brits normally accept this.

http://www.univenter.com/crocodile_stuffed.html

.................................................. .....................

What I would do if it were myself, is to contact AQIS. Phone or email them. Ask for their advice, and how to obtain the export certificate for yours if you do not have one, or phone them anyway if you do;for their advise. They'll either advise you or pass you onto the right departmental body who deals with this "clearance cert". If you ever buy anything like this again,make sure it comes with clearance certificate before you purchase it. And also check with the British customs too. email them to double check

http://www.affa.gov.au/content/outpu...ntType=outputs

cheers

P.S For the didgeridoo, they should accept it as hand luggage, depending on what class you are flying may come into it too - A few years back hubby took a fishing rod on the plane with him, but it was business class. He even strapped it into the empty seat next to him .. it's own seatbelt ..lol.

simple answer - phone the airlines and ask them. If not, ask the PO for advice, or go with a courier.
.................................................. ........................................

P.S. contact details below, try phoning them for their advice on this matter, and how you can get the clearance certificate for it. They'll probably know with their dealings/expriences if the Brit customs accept them or not too.

ANIMEX contacts :

ANIMEX is AQIS's live animal and reproductive material export conditions database

Location Email Address Phone
Canberra [email protected] 02 6272 4581
New South Wales [email protected] 02 8334 7434
North Queensland [email protected] 07 4063 2059
Northern Territory [email protected] 08 8999 2093
South Australian [email protected] 08 8305 8752
South Queensland [email protected] 07 3246 8731
Tasmania and Victoria [email protected] 03 8318 6969
Western Australia [email protected] 08 9311 5334

Last edited by Ceri; Nov 24th 2004 at 1:02 am.