Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

sending furniture to perth before getting our visa!!

sending furniture to perth before getting our visa!!

Old Feb 26th 2008, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

Ozbound08 has a spectacular aura aboutOzbound08 has a spectacular aura aboutOzbound08 has a spectacular aura about
Question sending furniture to perth before getting our visa!!

Hi this may sound a crazy idea, but my husband and I are currently waiting for our visa, which was lodged at the beginning of August! we have been told by our agent that he thinks it should come either March or April, so hopefully not long! we are currently renting as we sold our house last year! we have to give 2 months notice on our rental here! we think we are going to take a risk and send all our main household stuff out now to Perth as it will take approx 10 weeks! then we will live with the stuff we are not taking, and then if needs be go into a holiday let that is fully furnished! Any how enough waffle, has anybody done this ie send stuff before getting your visa, or is it just a crazy idea?????
Old Feb 26th 2008, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud of
Default Re: sending furniture to perth before getting our visa!!

Originally Posted by Ozbound08
Hi this may sound a crazy idea, but my husband and I are currently waiting for our visa, which was lodged at the beginning of August! we have been told by our agent that he thinks it should come either March or April, so hopefully not long! we are currently renting as we sold our house last year! we have to give 2 months notice on our rental here! we think we are going to take a risk and send all our main household stuff out now to Perth as it will take approx 10 weeks! then we will live with the stuff we are not taking, and then if needs be go into a holiday let that is fully furnished! Any how enough waffle, has anybody done this ie send stuff before getting your visa, or is it just a crazy idea?????
We were in the same position as yourselves, but our shipping company would not ship until we got the visa grant. Other companies might be different.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

bubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant future

Have you looked at the cost of putting it all in storage in the UK?

If the plan is to give your two months notice in now but you are worried about a time gap between handing the keys in and flying out it could be an option rather than sending it all over now

Old Feb 26th 2008, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

The Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to all

We had to show copies of visa in passport to crown before they would ship any of our stuff

Sam
Old Feb 27th 2008, 12:45 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I hate to play devil's advocate, but what happens if for some reason you don't get your visa?
Old Feb 27th 2008, 5:35 am
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

I had no problem sending my goods out to australia with no visa, I come to australia on 6 months tourist visa Oct till Apr then go to spain Apr till Oct
Old Feb 27th 2008, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

Ozbound08 has a spectacular aura aboutOzbound08 has a spectacular aura aboutOzbound08 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks everybody for all your advice so far! looks like its unlikely it will be possible then! I know there is always the possiblity we get refused our visa, but as we have gone with an agent who is very confident, Go matilda and we have passed our medicals etc, we thought it would be a risk worth taking! hopefully??