Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sending flowers in the UK

Sending flowers in the UK

Old Apr 2nd 2004, 12:06 am
owieb

Default Sending flowers in the UK

I've just ordered some flowers for my mum as it's her birthday. Ordered them through a UK website so that they will be delivered tomorrow.

I was gobsmacked at the price!
Some sites wanted £40-£50 for a standard bouquet, even a single stemmed rose was £18!!!!!

I think the cheapest bunch that I could find was £27, plus £3.50 for delivery. Not saying my mum isn't worth it, but for $75 i could by a monstrous bunch of flowers in Perth.

Old Apr 2nd 2004, 12:08 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I sent some for 30 GBP for mothers day from M&S.
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 12:14 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Sending flowers in the UK

Originally posted by owieb
I've just ordered some flowers for my mum as it's her birthday. Ordered them through a UK website so that they will be delivered tomorrow.

Some sites wanted £40-£50 for a standard bouquet, even a single stemmed rose was £18!!!!!

I think the cheapest bunch that I could find was £27, plus £3.50 for delivery. Not saying my mum isn't worth it, but for $75 i could by a monstrous bunch of flowers in Perth.
And there was me thinking that $90 for a dozen long stemmed red roses and a box of chocolates delivered, (in OZ), on valentines day was expensive

Old Apr 2nd 2004, 2:35 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by owieb

I used this company just back a few months ago ( for mums birthday) - I ordered it on the Friday night ( our time in Brissie).. and she had it the very next day, Saturday - on her birthday.

http://www.hampersexpress.com/

I ordered one of the hampers, with cheese and two bottles of wine £39.40 - it had red and white wine (one was an Aus wine) , and two pats of Scottish cheese in a wicker basket - without ploughing through the whole web site to find the one I ordered.... but she was well chuffed with it - loved it .. and adored the cute little basket too - which she says she'll be using for a picnic hamper.

I had no problem with this company at all , very quick delivery - so I'll recommend it ( and I'm not advertising!.. I have no association with this company)( I only recommend to others, companies that I have personally tried myself).

Last edited by Ceri; Apr 2nd 2004 at 2:44 am.
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

Location: From Port Talbot, South Wales to Ascot Vale, Melbourne
jonah66 is an unknown quantity at this point

G'day All

I ordered flowers for Mothers Day over the net from ... Tescos.

26.50GBP including delivery!!

Regards

Ian
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 3:21 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

we've ( as in we.. my mum and I ) ( .. gawd I sound as if she's in a chair up in the loft!!! like psycho , she's alive and kicking back in Wales - kicking my father I hope !) .. have never celebrated Mothers day. It's a commercial rip off ( we don't believe in flowers on graves either.. oh be jesus!!! .. when she dies and if I place some flowers on her grave.. she will surely come back to haunt me !.. long story! so I won't go into that one.) .

Apparently, Mothers day came about when in the "olden days" (imagine the spooky mist of time now!.. and jack the ripper) it was the maids one day off in the year( sounds like Saturday in Singapore with the Philippina's in orchard road ) .. when they used to go home to their families on their only day off in the year .. they used to take flowers with them... later years it was carried on... becoming mothers day

the mist of time closes ..

Last edited by Ceri; Apr 2nd 2004 at 3:35 am.
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Posted this somewhere before I think

Too late for this year but tuck the idea away for Christmas or next time. Daughter & I have done this both ways - ie UK to NZ and vice versa.

We used the net yellow pages to find a local flowershop. They don't even need to have a website. just the phone number. Watch the time difference but then phone and discuss what you want to send, pay by credit card.

You get Mum's favourite flowers at a fair price and only local delivery. All the shops we have used have been really pleased that someone so far away has taken the trouble to look them up and contact them direct.

Also my daughter did the M&S vouchers thing last time as I said I would like to be able to get reasonable flowers several times instead of one huge arrangement.

HTH