Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sending a bike any ideas

Sending a bike any ideas

Old May 30th 2011, 2:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all
Unhappy Sending a bike any ideas

I'm going to Perth in the next few weeks on a 457 visa and would like to take my mountainbike.
I've considered selling it in the Uk and buying another IN Oz but the difference between Uk used prices and new prices in Oz are just to great. It cost £2400 new 2 years ago.

Anyone one got a cheap way of sending it as I'm pulling my hair out to find a reasonable cost of doing it.

I'm going with Emirates so have a 30kg baggage allowance but most of this will be used for clothes. The bike and a bag for it weigh 20kg so if I use emirates the excess baggage charge will be £280 assuming I can use 10kg of my allowance plus I need to buy a bag.

I came up with airfreight my clothes (take the bike on the plane) using anglo pacific door to door and that will cost £260 plus the bike bag.

I've also considered sea freight as there's a ship leaving next week from Glasgow which arrives july 23rd Freemantle and this will be £170 door to door.

Anyone with a better way to ship it?
Old May 31st 2011, 7:24 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sending a bike any ideas

Originally Posted by mvagusta
I'm going to Perth in the next few weeks on a 457 visa and would like to take my mountainbike.
I've considered selling it in the Uk and buying another IN Oz but the difference between Uk used prices and new prices in Oz are just to great. It cost £2400 new 2 years ago.

Anyone one got a cheap way of sending it as I'm pulling my hair out to find a reasonable cost of doing it.

I'm going with Emirates so have a 30kg baggage allowance but most of this will be used for clothes. The bike and a bag for it weigh 20kg so if I use emirates the excess baggage charge will be £280 assuming I can use 10kg of my allowance plus I need to buy a bag.

I came up with airfreight my clothes (take the bike on the plane) using anglo pacific door to door and that will cost £260 plus the bike bag.

I've also considered sea freight as there's a ship leaving next week from Glasgow which arrives july 23rd Freemantle and this will be £170 door to door.

Anyone with a better way to ship it?
Shame you're going with Emirates, Singapore look to have a good deal with bikes: http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/tr...ggage-outsize/ However you are so sorry. Don't forget that if you do the shipping, you'll have storage fees on top of the $170. There's a company called 'Excess Baggage' who are good, they supply Bike boxes and are relatively reasonable. Worth getting a quote from them.
Old May 31st 2011, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Shame you're going with Emirates, Singapore look to have a good deal with bikes: http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/tr...ggage-outsize/ However you are so sorry. Don't forget that if you do the shipping, you'll have storage fees on top of the $170. There's a company called 'Excess Baggage' who are good, they supply Bike boxes and are relatively reasonable. Worth getting a quote from them.
Thanks moneypenny I've requested a quote so we'll see what they come up with.

Does anyone know what the customs charges are for unaccompanied baggage?
Old May 31st 2011, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

When we migrated, hubby put 2 of his bikes in the container and 1 of them we took with us in his bike bag as part of our hold luggage, we were tight for kg so used clothes to pack round the bike instead of the padding. I think we had 40kg for the flight about 5-7kg each hand luggage, we used it all plus some....Make sure bike is spotless as they checked the one we took over and also the two that followed in the 20' container were opened and checked, was no problems with them as they are hubby's pride and joy.
Old May 31st 2011, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

apobateman is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you thought about selling the bike in the UK and then ordering a new one from wiggle or Evans when you are here? You don't pay the % vat though depending on the price of the bike you may have to pay the tax over here. I bought a bike from wiggle a Few weeks back that was on sale with 40% off, plus the vat savings meant it was pretty cheap.

You may find that bikes aren't actually that bad over here. There are good buys on eBay and also gumtree. I brought a lot of stuff over thinking that it would be too pricey here but it isn't that bad. I'm looking at a trek ex8 which is about $2800 I think.
Old May 31st 2011, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by apobateman
Have you thought about selling the bike in the UK and then ordering a new one from wiggle or Evans when you are here? You don't pay the % vat though depending on the price of the bike you may have to pay the tax over here. I bought a bike from wiggle a Few weeks back that was on sale with 40% off, plus the vat savings meant it was pretty cheap.

You may find that bikes aren't actually that bad over here. There are good buys on eBay and also gumtree. I brought a lot of stuff over thinking that it would be too pricey here but it isn't that bad. I'm looking at a trek ex8 which is about $2800 I think.
Yes I've checked the prices over in Oz and they are a good bit dearer. My bike is a Marin mount vision 5.8 which I upgraded from the Trek fuel ex8 so I would be looking at between $3500-$4000.
Secondhand prices in the Uk are about half the original price so I would have an $1800 deficit to make up.
I can't justify buying a new one when the one I've got is in great condition.

It looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and pay the carriage over to Oz.
Old May 31st 2011, 1:54 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

I may be wrong but someone once told me you got a higher luggage allowance if you fly via the US.

Ignore the above if you've already booked your flight.
Old May 31st 2011, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

australianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud of

It may sound daft but have you thought of posting it. You can dismantle it and pack it into a smaller box or boxes. It may work out cheaper. Wont hurt to ask at the local post office.
Old May 31st 2011, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by australianinleicester
It may sound daft but have you thought of posting it. You can dismantle it and pack it into a smaller box or boxes. It may work out cheaper. Wont hurt to ask at the local post office.
Good idea.

Unfortunately after checking on Parcelforce/Post office and the Ups websites it's costing £230 plus I need to strip the bike and reassemble it.

I've got a quote from Anglo pacific door to door for £168 sending it by sea so it looks like this may be my cheapest option although I'll need to wait 6-8 weeks for it.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 7:08 am
Just Joined

gabster78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Recently sent my bike from London to Sydney by ship with Freedom Shipping.

Cost £80 - and it took about 10 weeks door to door.

Reliable service - not a problem at all with my boxes when they arrived.

Taking it as part of your hold luggage on your flight is an option - but you would have to weigh up how urgent you need your bike (ie. as soon as you land) - or if you could wait a few months, and pack other important stuff in your 20/30 kg luggage limit.

I had a 20kg hold limit on my flight over from the UK and found it was just enough to include all initial essentials ie. adequate clothes, personal docs and other stuff I needed for my initial relocation efforts.

Good luck with your move !
Old Jul 14th 2011, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

I sent mine by air with the Excess Baggage company. Cost me about 150 pounds.

Took about 6 days. Too easy.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 7:53 am
Account Closed

billingham is an unknown quantity at this point

Have a look at on-one (mountain bikes) / planet- x (road bikes) they are the same company. Shipping costs for a new bike are about $150 and their bike prices are really good for the spec. You can specify Oz dollars on the website and it will deduct vat and work out shipping automatically. Prices for parts are about 30-50% Oz prices.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by billingham
Have a look at on-one (mountain bikes) / planet- x (road bikes) they are the same company. Shipping costs for a new bike are about $150 and their bike prices are really good for the spec. You can specify Oz dollars on the website and it will deduct vat and work out shipping automatically. Prices for parts are about 30-50% Oz prices.
I sent the bike by anglo-pacific and it cost £169 door to door. It was the cheapest I could find at the time.

Your right about parts etc.
I managed to buy a car with a thule aero roof rack so I thought I would get a thule 591 bike carrier for it.
The cheapest in Oz that I could find was $199 which I thought was a bit of a rip off as Evans were advertising the same thing in the Uk for £67. I ended up ordering from Evans and paying £40 postage to Perth and it still worked out about $30 cheaper and was delivered in 5 days.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 11:36 am
Living our life wherever

Location: came back to oz after moving back to uk but not settled here so uk here i come, last time im moving
Trevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of light

Just be ready for customs, i had a light weight aluminum mountain bike that had only been used on roads/ dust tracks and it was clean as when we left uk but customs here picked on it and gave me a option of having it cleaned for $150 or scrap it, and after i got it back they had damaged it when they turned it upside down to wash it, the seat had a small rip in it and the brakes/ handle bars had been scratched.
customs are very help full people
Old Jul 14th 2011, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Trevski
Just be ready for customs, i had a light weight aluminum mountain bike that had only been used on roads/ dust tracks and it was clean as when we left uk but customs here picked on it and gave me a option of having it cleaned for $150 or scrap it, and after i got it back they had damaged it when they turned it upside down to wash it, the seat had a small rip in it and the brakes/ handle bars had been scratched.
customs are very help full people
My bike was damaged too. The quick release lever of the front wheel had been scratched, and a clip on the forks for the front brake pipe (hydraulic brakes) had been snapped, and my front disc was bent. Unsure whether it was customs or happened in transit. It was packed extremely well when it left me (it took me 3 hours to pack it), and when it got to me, there was hardly any bubble wrap to be seen!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.