Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sending animals to Perth

Sending animals to Perth

Old Jul 22nd 2004, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

Salli is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Sending animals to Perth

Just had a chat with British Airways regarding sending our dog and cat to Perth.

They apparently won't deal with animals being sent by individuals, only agents, due to the animals swapping planes from BA to Quantas in Singapore. I understand that there is extra paperwork involved, but they won't accept this from an individual, only an agent

So, if you're looking at shipping your animals to Perth yourselves, don't bother with BA!
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

What a bummer, am sure you will find someone else - think I heard that Quantas do it. I'm sure fogmeister put a load of info up fairly recently.
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Hi Larissa,
just had a chat with Quantas and they are unhappy about us not going through an agent either....looks like we will be forced down the agent route. Ah well, the little furries are worth it.

Fogmeister was extrememly helpful and gave me lots of info. The problem with BA is because we are going to Perth. Apparently if you fly BA they have a long stop over in Singapore which necessitates the animals transiting in Singapore which means lots more paperwork which they won't accept from anyone who isn't a shipper...if we were flying to another Oz city there wouldn't be a problem.

Quantas have given us the name JCS Livestock who are prepared to oversee the paperwork we put together (thanks Fogmeister for all your info, without that we'd have been stuck with an enormous bill!) and just pick up the furries and deliver them to Quantas for the bargain price of £865....much, much cheaper than other quotes we've had.

To anyone shipping animals....Quantas won't take animals as cargo after November 18th for six weeks.

Last edited by Salli; Jul 22nd 2004 at 12:11 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Salli, I will pass that onto hubby. We are also going to Perth, what a shame. Ahh well, such is life!
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

Good luck Larissa
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Salli
Hi Larissa,
just had a chat with Quantas and they are unhappy about us not going through an agent either....looks like we will be forced down the agent route. Ah well, the little furries are worth it.

Fogmeister was extrememly helpful and gave me lots of info. The problem with BA is because we are going to Perth. Apparently if you fly BA they have a long stop over in Singapore which necessitates the animals transiting in Singapore which means lots more paperwork which they won't accept from anyone who isn't a shipper...if we were flying to another Oz city there wouldn't be a problem.

Quantas have given us the name JCS Livestock who are prepared to oversee the paperwork we put together (thanks Fogmeister for all your info, without that we'd have been stuck with an enormous bill!) and just pick up the furries and deliver them to Quantas for the bargain price of £865....much, much cheaper than other quotes we've had.

To anyone shipping animals....Quantas won't take animals as cargo after November 18th for six weeks.
Hi Salli,

I would really appreciate more info on this. I need to ship 2 cats to Perth in mid-January. Any info you have found out would be very useful

Cheers
Dave
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

Hi Dave,

there is a really good post by Fogmeister which details all the bits and pieces you need to know as regards DEFRA and AQIS...

Fogmeisters useful post

You can download the Applications for a Permit to Import Cats and Dogs into Australia from the AQIS website. You need to complete one form for each animal, but you can put them in the same pen at the quarantine station if they get on...

Permit forms

You can also download an information sheet which has tickboxes and step by step instructions of everything you need to do....

Info Sheet

If you have any questions regarding the Permits, just email Byford Quarantine station....they have been very helpful [email protected]

In order to get Export permits you need to get in touch with DEFRA. If you email [email protected] you can find out the details of your local DEFRA office who will send you the necessary paperwork. They can also supply you with a list of vets in your area that are qualified to do any blood tests etc.

JCS Livestock tel no is 01753 682244
Qantas freight details are available from their website www.qantasfreight.com (I believe their number is 0208 7541001)

We have also found a company that sells the IATA pet carriers at a reasonable price..... Puddle Pet Care, 0870 027 3434 (order line) 0870 027 3432 (customer services).

If you need any more info, just reply back or PM me and I'll see what I can find
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Hi Dave,

there is a really good post by Fogmeister which details all the bits and pieces you need to know as regards DEFRA and AQIS...

If you need any more info, just reply back or PM me and I'll see what I can find

Hi Salli

Thanks for the info. I have looked through the threads and duly phoned up BA. The first time I phoned they indicated that I could take the pets to the airport myself, the second time I called I was told that shipping to Perth must go through an agent due to a transit license etc etc.

I asked her to quote me on the box size I have estimated for two cats sharing a box (68cm * 55cm * 48cm) and she said that if they were going to a similar place where I could ship them without an agent (e.g. Sydney / Melbourne) it would cost £980!!

Your quote for your shipping was in the £800's i seem to remember and that was going through an agent. Was that for both of your pets etc.

Given there are another £350 of expenses the far end, I was hoping that the shipping was going to cost quite a bit less than £1000. I mean blimey our tickets cost less than that and a) weight more b) get food and entertainment!

Dave
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

But you don't get to lie flat for that

Our quote was from JCS Livestock and was for us doing most of the stuff and them handling getting the flights getting them the animals final checks/sealed in their carriers and taking them to the airport.

We've since been on the phone to a vets at Heathrow who says there is no problem with us doing it ourselves. We're just finding out some more info so I'll post more later when we've got to grips with what's going on!
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

But you don't get to lie flat for that

Our quote was from JCS Livestock and was for us doing most of the stuff and them handling getting the flights getting them the animals final checks/sealed in their carriers and taking them to the airport.

We've since been on the phone to a vets at Heathrow who says there is no problem with us doing it ourselves. We're just finding out some more info so I'll post more later when we've got to grips with what's going on!

Hi Salli,

Haha, yeah good point about the lying flat!!

Do you have a website address or phone number for JCS Livestock - I have been searching around but cant find anything on the web. Was your quotation for both your dog and cat? and if so was that assuming seperate boxes?

I just phoned Emirates and they don't ship pets to OZ because they dont operate direct flights. I dont really understand this because the BA route wasn't direct - this was a transit flight!! Why is there no single consistent story!!??

When you say 'doing it yourselves' do you mean the whole shipping process or the vetinary side of things. We have an approved vet in our town and we have already spoken to him about it.

Thanks for all the information

Dave