Reload this Page >

Send 136 application to DIMIA minus Employer Reference

Send 136 application to DIMIA minus Employer Reference

Old Feb 10th 2005, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

paramch is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Send 136 application to DIMIA minus Employer Reference

Hi,

I'm in a bit of a fix. I have everything (almost!) ready for my 136 application to DIMIA, but am yet to receive a Reference from my employer. Ideally I would have waited, but I quit work mid-Aug '04 and have been studying since then, which means that I need to get my application in to DIMIA by mid-Feb, to be able to satisfy the recent work experience criteria.

What would happen if I send off my application, and then follow it up with the employer reference as soon as I need it. I worked for the same company for 5 years until I quit in Aug 04, and hence the reference letter will provide evidence for both recent and the specific work experience points (10 points) that I've claimed.

Please advise, I need help.
Thanks
Old Feb 11th 2005, 4:59 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Send 136 application to DIMIA minus Employer Reference

Originally Posted by paramch
Hi,

I'm in a bit of a fix. I have everything (almost!) ready for my 136 application to DIMIA, but am yet to receive a Reference from my employer. Ideally I would have waited, but I quit work mid-Aug '04 and have been studying since then, which means that I need to get my application in to DIMIA by mid-Feb, to be able to satisfy the recent work experience criteria.

What would happen if I send off my application, and then follow it up with the employer reference as soon as I need it. I worked for the same company for 5 years until I quit in Aug 04, and hence the reference letter will provide evidence for both recent and the specific work experience points (10 points) that I've claimed.

Please advise, I need help.
Thanks
]

You don't need to provide an employment reference with your application. But you have a potentially big problem here - the 6 months deadline since you finished work is just about up.

Jeremy
Old Feb 11th 2005, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

nursenancy has a spectacular aura aboutnursenancy has a spectacular aura aboutnursenancy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by JAJ
]

You don't need to provide an employment reference with your application. But you have a potentially big problem here - the 6 months deadline since you finished work is just about up.

Jeremy
hi jeremy, when you say a 'big' problem, do you mean that you cannot claim the 10 points or the full 60? I only say this because I'm in the same situation (gave up work in July 04). With the recent work experience it would give me 135 points, without it 125 points. Is it better to submit the application without claiming the recent work experience?
Old Feb 11th 2005, 5:29 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nursenancy
hi jeremy, when you say a 'big' problem, do you mean that you cannot claim the 10 points or the full 60? I only say this because I'm in the same situation (gave up work in July 04). With the recent work experience it would give me 135 points, without it 125 points. Is it better to submit the application without claiming the recent work experience?

My response was to the first question, not to any situation you may have.

Jeremy
Old Feb 11th 2005, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
My response was to the first question, not to any situation you may have.

Jeremy
Strange I thought this was a discussion forum? Lighten up JAJ! Nancy, try posting your thread on the immigration forum you might get more of a valuable response! I don't know the answer but someone else will I'm sure X
Old Feb 11th 2005, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

nursenancy has a spectacular aura aboutnursenancy has a spectacular aura aboutnursenancy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by glittababe
Strange I thought this was a discussion forum? Lighten up JAJ! Nancy, try posting your thread on the immigration forum you might get more of a valuable response! I don't know the answer but someone else will I'm sure X
how rude! Not sure I'll bother if thats the response you get!
Old Feb 11th 2005, 6:07 pm
JAJ
Retired

how rude! Not sure I'll bother if thats the response you get!

My apologies. I misread your question.
Let me start again.

Unfortunately this is a big problem if you have not applied to DIMIA by January. The reason for this is that with a 60 point occupation you need 12 months experience in the last 18 months *before application* to meet the basic requirements.

IF you don't meet the basic requirements you will be refused before they even look at the points test.

You need to either get back into the workforce to meet the basic requirements, or look at an Employer Nominated visa (read booklet 5 - not 6 - for information on this).

Unfortunately this issue catches out so many nurses. If you go for the Skill Matching visa, sponsored by Victoria, South Australia or Tasmania, you can become eligible with 6 months work experience. Or if a relative in a designated area sponsors you.

Otherwise it's going to be 12 months. But look at the Employer Nominated visas, ENS and RSMS, as these have different requirements.

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Feb 11th 2005 at 6:16 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2005, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
My apologies. I misread your question.
Let me start again.

Unfortunately this is a big problem if you have not applied to DIMIA by January. The reason for this is that with a 60 point occupation you need 12 months experience in the last 18 months *before application* to meet the basic requirements.

IF you don't meet the basic requirements you will be refused before they even look at the points test.

You need to either get back into the workforce to meet the basic requirements, or look at an Employer Nominated visa (read booklet 5 - not 6 - for information on this).

Unfortunately this issue catches out so many nurses. If you go for the Skill Matching visa, sponsored by Victoria, South Australia or Tasmania, you can become eligible with 6 months work experience. Or if a relative in a designated area sponsors you.

Otherwise it's going to be 12 months. But look at the Employer Nominated visas, ENS and RSMS, as these have different requirements.

Jeremy
Ohhhhhhhhhh (thats a BIG oh)!!! i thought I had loads of time! Whilst studying I have been working part time (14 hrs a week) for the same NHS Trust. Would that count? Cannot believe it! I've had my meds, police check and everything! Thanks for getting back to us, now's the time I wish I had a glass of strong wine!
Old Feb 11th 2005, 7:55 pm
JAJ
Retired

Ohhhhhhhhhh (thats a BIG oh)!!! i thought I had loads of time! Whilst studying I have been working part time (14 hrs a week) for the same NHS Trust. Would that count? Cannot believe it! I've had my meds, police check and everything! Thanks for getting back to us, now's the time I wish I had a glass of strong wine!
Unfortunately less than 20 hours a week does not count for this purpose.

Your work-arounds are:

1. Get back into the workforce for 6-12 months, depending on whether you want to go for Skilled Independent or Skill Matching; or
2. If you can get to the pass mark with a 50 or a 40 point occupation, and can get a Vetassess assessment this might be a work around as the basic requirements are different (2 years in the last 3 - for subclass 138). However you'd need professional advice on this. The problem is you need to have a degree level qualification to get a Vetassess 50 point assessment and it's not clear whether your nursing certs will do. Also, it's only likely to work if you have a relative in Australia to sponsor you
3. Find an Australian employer to hire you and sponsor for ENS or RSMS. Agencies will generally not sponsor for permanent visas, but some hospitals will:
http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/employers/index.htm

Jeremy
Old Feb 11th 2005, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Unfortunately less than 20 hours a week does not count for this purpose.

Your work-arounds are:

1. Get back into the workforce for 6-12 months, depending on whether you want to go for Skilled Independent or Skill Matching; or
2. If you can get to the pass mark with a 50 or a 40 point occupation, and can get a Vetassess assessment this might be a work around as the basic requirements are different (2 years in the last 3 - for subclass 138). However you'd need professional advice on this. The problem is you need to have a degree level qualification to get a Vetassess 50 point assessment and it's not clear whether your nursing certs will do. Also, it's only likely to work if you have a relative in Australia to sponsor you
3. Find an Australian employer to hire you and sponsor for ENS or RSMS. Agencies will generally not sponsor for permanent visas, but some hospitals will:
http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/employers/index.htm

Jeremy
Another big ohhhhh! Will sit down and rethink options! Thanks again, glad I found out now before i submitted the application. Time for that drink!
Old Feb 13th 2005, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

paramch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
]

Jeremy
Thanks a lot, Jeremy. Well, my last day at work was 16th Aug 04, and my application to DIMIA was posted off by Express Post from Sydney (by my sister - the authorised recepient) on 11th Feb, so hoping it should be in DIMIA's post box by 14th Feb.

Is it necessary that the credit card transaction for payment of application fees has to be processed on or before the 16th, for the application to be considered valid (and within the recent work exp time limit)?
Old Feb 14th 2005, 5:13 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by paramch
Thanks a lot, Jeremy. Well, my last day at work was 16th Aug 04, and my application to DIMIA was posted off by Express Post from Sydney (by my sister - the authorised recepient) on 11th Feb, so hoping it should be in DIMIA's post box by 14th Feb.

Is it necessary that the credit card transaction for payment of application fees has to be processed on or before the 16th, for the application to be considered valid (and within the recent work exp time limit)?
Normally date of receipt is what matters even if they take payment a day or two later. However if they can't process the credit card payment they may send the application back to you as invalid.

Jeremy