Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Semi-rural Brisbane / Qld ?

Semi-rural Brisbane / Qld ?

Old Nov 5th 2004, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light
Default Semi-rural Brisbane / Qld ?

Views on living semi-rural around Brisbane please?

Too hot inland?
Poor infrastructure?
Too far for work iin CBD?

I'll try and help you out, my wife and I would like a 4 bed house (pref. a queenslander or pole house type with verandas and maybe a pool) but we really don't want to live on a "suburban estate".
We would prefer to live on the edge of things if possible.

Now, I know that these things are relevant - we have 3 kids who will be the following ages when we go to Oz, they will be 9,11 and 13 approx.

Jobs - my wife will be a mental health nurse and I am a civil/structural draughtsman (I draw anything from housing estates to offices to shopping malls, petro-chem, railways etc. etc.).
Will these jobs only be available in the CBD or could we live in a smaller town say?
I would commute up to 1 hour to work, my wife maybe 1/2 that.

I realise that areas such as Ferny Grove/Mitchelton/Samford are considered quite far from the CDB but are they just new areas built on the outskirts of the suburbs?

ANY advice gratefully received, we haven't been to Qld or Brisbane yet (went to stay with rellies in Melbourne for our validation trip) and probably won't be able to afford to go before we emigrate!
We aren't going for 3 years yet so you have plenty of time to reply!
Old Nov 5th 2004, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Semi-rural Brisbane / Qld ?

come on, someone must live in the sticks around brissie / other part of QLD.

Is everyone who's going to Brisbane going to live in a 700m sq. plot in the suburbs of the city?
Old Nov 5th 2004, 5:05 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cadman
come on, someone must live in the sticks around brissie / other part of QLD.

Is everyone who's going to Brisbane going to live in a 700m sq. plot in the suburbs of the city?
I'd imagine they do live there but maybe they are asleep, it being the middle of the night and all ... or maybe they are just waiting for the 3 years to pass
Old Nov 5th 2004, 7:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Why not just type samford etc into the search box at the top of page.
Old Nov 5th 2004, 8:58 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Cos he will mainly get posts from me saying how hot it is out there .

Cadman, at the end of the day, it comes down to where you are likely to get work. If its the CBD, then for the commute times you quoted, you will struggle to even reach Samford! I have no idea about your professions, your best bet is to look at job sites for jobs outside of Brisbane.

At least Samford is a nice little village & has a rural feel, although alot of it is being cut up into estates now, but Ferny Grove & Mitchelton are just suburbs of Brisbane, I certainly wouldnt consider them semi-rural! Someone mentioned Dayboro in another thread, my niece lives there & loves it, but yes, theres no infrastructure (no public transport, nothing more than a couple of local shops, & she drives her kids 35 mins every morning & afternoon to private school) & its hot as hell in summer & freezing in winter (dont forget you will be coming out to a house thats just a shell, no insulation & no central heating when it reaches -3 degrees :scared: )

Whats your definition of semi-rural & how much land do you want? Does it have to be semi-rural around Brisbane? Have you considered places up the coast like Sunshine Coast (plenty of places for pole homes etc up there), Bundaberg, Rockhampton, Cairns, Townsville? Completely different to Brisbane & unfortunately the heat tends to be offputting, but it may be worth considering. What about Toowoomba or northern NSW? Im betting that your wife will probably be able to get a job just about anywhere thats big enough, I think its really your profession that will be the key link to where you live. Everything also depends on how much money you have, you can have acreage in the area we live only 15kms or 30 mins drive from the CBD, but you will need $1M+ :scared: ). Also look at Pullenvale/Anstead area (pricey as well, but not as bad), possibly Karalee? Mt Tambourine & Gold Coast hinterland? At least those places fit the bill for the land & pole home idea if not the commute times from the CBD.

Sorry I cant be more helpful, but at least it gives you some ideas to go on.
Old Nov 5th 2004, 8:58 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

live in rural Qld 20 mins from the huge metropolis of Gympie City population 17,000 The town that saved QLD when Nash discovered gold here in the 1860's . There's plenty of work here and land is still cheap by comparison [5 acre blocks are approx 65/70K].
What else do you need to know?
Old Nov 5th 2004, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

RozfromOz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,
I live on an acreage estate just south of Brisbane. My husband works in the CBD in Brisbane and often further north. We have a huge home/ pool and an acre of land - look in these areas - Ormeau, Pimpama, Yatala, Kingsholme.(These are older, established acreage communities with good infrastructure) There is a new corridor between the Gold Coast and Brisbane and is booming. We have since decided we are not acreage people - you really have to be a man of the land to enjoy the immense amount of lawnmowing and up-keep required. Alot of our aussie bloke neighbours would be shocked but we are more beach people! A word of warning - with all the new emerging communities being built - the land sizes of house blocks makes London homes look spacious!! 4000sqm is an acre (in case your wondering) and land size is usually marked on these websites - so hope that helps with your search.
Old Nov 6th 2004, 12:13 am
ABCDiamond

You can get 5 acres, with House, in Sheldon from $549,000
30kms SE of Brisbane CBD

Old Nov 6th 2004, 9:38 am

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Cos he will mainly get posts from me saying how hot it is out there .

Cadman, at the end of the day, it comes down to where you are likely to get work. If its the CBD, then for the commute times you quoted, you will struggle to even reach Samford! I have no idea about your professions, your best bet is to look at job sites for jobs outside of Brisbane.

At least Samford is a nice little village & has a rural feel, although alot of it is being cut up into estates now, but Ferny Grove & Mitchelton are just suburbs of Brisbane, I certainly wouldnt consider them semi-rural! Someone mentioned Dayboro in another thread, my niece lives there & loves it, but yes, theres no infrastructure (no public transport, nothing more than a couple of local shops, & she drives her kids 35 mins every morning & afternoon to private school) & its hot as hell in summer & freezing in winter (dont forget you will be coming out to a house thats just a shell, no insulation & no central heating when it reaches -3 degrees :scared: )

Whats your definition of semi-rural & how much land do you want? Does it have to be semi-rural around Brisbane? Have you considered places up the coast like Sunshine Coast (plenty of places for pole homes etc up there), Bundaberg, Rockhampton, Cairns, Townsville? Completely different to Brisbane & unfortunately the heat tends to be offputting, but it may be worth considering. What about Toowoomba or northern NSW? Im betting that your wife will probably be able to get a job just about anywhere thats big enough, I think its really your profession that will be the key link to where you live. Everything also depends on how much money you have, you can have acreage in the area we live only 15kms or 30 mins drive from the CBD, but you will need $1M+ :scared: ). Also look at Pullenvale/Anstead area (pricey as well, but not as bad), possibly Karalee? Mt Tambourine & Gold Coast hinterland? At least those places fit the bill for the land & pole home idea if not the commute times from the CBD.

Sorry I cant be more helpful, but at least it gives you some ideas to go on.
Do temperatures in Brisbane/ Sunshine coast really go as low as -3 oc in winter!!!??? I thought it was scorching in summer and cooler in winter but still 50-70 oc!!!??? Maybe better do some more research, never realised it got that cold! Do they get ice?

Sorry for daft questions!

Lynn
Old Nov 6th 2004, 10:09 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
Do temperatures in Brisbane/ Sunshine coast really go as low as -3 oc in winter!!!??? I thought it was scorching in summer and cooler in winter but still 50-70 oc!!!??? Maybe better do some more research, never realised it got that cold! Do they get ice?

Lynn
It depends on the different areas of the Brisbane district
I assume the 50-70 reference is in Farenheit ? I have been here so long now, I am used to Centigrade.

Here's one link to check Brisbanes temps for the last 13 months.
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/ID...9.latest.shtml

I haven't seen ice in my area here since we arrived almost 2 years ago, and I think the lowest recorded was 3.6°C.
The Ipswich area did record -4.0°C at the end of June 2004.
Ipswich weather

Maroochydore recorded a low of 2.2°C in August 2004

Old Nov 6th 2004, 11:05 am

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It depends on the different areas of the Brisbane district
I assume the 50-70 reference is in Farenheit ? I have been here so long now, I am used to Centigrade.

Here's one link to check Brisbanes temps for the last 13 months.
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/ID...9.latest.shtml

I haven't seen ice in my area here since we arrived almost 2 years ago, and I think the lowest recorded was 3.6°C.
The Ipswich area did record -4.0°C at the end of June 2004.
Ipswich weather

Maroochydore recorded a low of 2.2°C in August 2004
Thanks for the links. Yeah sorry I was talking about farenheit. The temps for winter are a lot cooler than I had imagined! Suppose it would be a welcome break when the summer is so hot.

Thanks again

Lynn
Old Nov 6th 2004, 11:14 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

interesting thread!
at the moment we travel to and from school on public transport here in sheffield and it takes 35-45 minutes if we are lucky, so long journeys have never been a problem for us we are so used to it now!! hopefully by the time we get out there i will have passed my driving test...so even a journey of half an hour would be heaven for us!!!
does anyone have any usefull website links that show the travelling distances round qld?? i had a link a while ago but have lost it!!

sue
Old Nov 6th 2004, 11:28 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
interesting thread!
at the moment we travel to and from school on public transport here in sheffield and it takes 35-45 minutes if we are lucky, so long journeys have never been a problem for us we are so used to it now!! hopefully by the time we get out there i will have passed my driving test...so even a journey of half an hour would be heaven for us!!!
does anyone have any usefull website links that show the travelling distances round qld?? i had a link a while ago but have lost it!!

sue
Using this link
http://www.whereis.com.au/whereis/ma...ctionsEntry.do
will give you distances between two points, and approx travel times.

Old Nov 6th 2004, 11:35 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Using this link
http://www.whereis.com.au/whereis/ma...ctionsEntry.do
will give you distances between two points, and approx travel times.
Old Nov 6th 2004, 12:11 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun

Lynn
Hi Lynn, sorry to confuse you, no, Brisbane itself doesnt get that cold, but you asked about Dayboro, which certainly gets below 0 on a regular basis in winter. Brisbane on average gets between 5 & 10 but as you go west it gets colder in winter (& hotter in summer). One consolation is that you would never have to scrape ice off the car windows - not because it doesnt get cold enough, but because in winter there is almost no humidity in the air, so no ice.

The big difference in the weather here is that although its quite cold in the evenings in winter, the days are almost always around 21 degrees (celcius that is!).

ABCs link is a good one, gives you an idea of the extremes of temps. Hope you arent confused anymore .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.