Reload this Page >

Semi-rural Brisbane / Qld ?

Semi-rural Brisbane / Qld ?

Old Nov 10th 2004, 10:59 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Semi-rural Brisbane / Qld ?

The www.whereis.com.au site quotes Woodford to the City as:

Total travel distance: 73.21 km, Estimated travel time: 1 Hr 37 Mins

However that site isn't always correct on times. I checked one earlier that quoted 40 minutes for a trip that my wife used to do daily in 20-25 minutes.

But then sometimes it is pretty close ! From our current house to Brisbane CBD it quotes "Total travel distance: 39.58 km, Estimated travel time: 48 Mins", and on average it does actually take about 50 minutes to get in by either 7.30am or 8.30am.

Old Nov 10th 2004, 11:08 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

MrsJTL, me, pick a fight? Never . (seriously, Im not, I hate to see people thinking that they can get something when they cant & then being bitterly disappointed when it doesnt pan out for them)

Originally Posted by cadman
There have been a few comments on cheaper rural places to live inland within budget but my only concern is that these people my say they are within 1 hr of the CBD but do they actually do the journey themselves every day in rush hour?

Andy.
*kerching* we have a winner .

I have family that live in Elimbah (alot closer in to the city than Woodford, just past Caboolture) & neither of them can commute to work in under an hour in peak hour traffic. My brother lives at Murrumba Downs (Kallangur) & until he retired earlier in the year, he used to have a 45-50 min commute each day.

If you head down the Gold Coast corridor the traffic is even worse :scared:

I did a search on Realestate.com & these are the only 2 4br houses up to 350K in that area, 1 at Glasshouse mountains & one at Elimbah.

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...=&fmt=&header=

If you put in Woodford you get this one

Old Nov 11th 2004, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

philj6969 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
One hour drive from Brisbane - what is it in rush hour?

Woodford is inland, 62km northwest of the city in a straight line. We're (Ormiston, near Cleveland) 23 km and it still takes us an average of 40 minutes when there's no traffic to get to the CBD.

Mrs JTL
I have done the run from Chermside to woodford in rush hour in just over an hour. I wouldnt choose to work near Brisbane, but if I had to I wouldnt mind the commute. My neice drives from Nambour to Brisbane to work, two hours each way every day. She is a born Australian and its an accepted way of life to her. A large wide open country with lots of space has to have some disadvantages somewhere.

Phil.
Old Nov 11th 2004, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks again for all the advice! thanks Mrs. D, I always look for your opinion on anything re: Brissie, after all you're from there, you live there so if anyone knows about living there, you do.

Thanks to phil for giving me hope and anyone else in the sticks who replied also.

So, I'm now thinking, maybe we're being a bit selfish and that if we move to Bris and live in the hills perhaps our kids wouldn't be too happy, esp. as they will be 9,11 and 13 qwhen we get there!

(If we live in the hills I suppose the plus side would be that we'd spot any snakes cos we'd have 3 kids/kevins looking permanently at the ground!)

Maybe we should live nearer the sea / CBD (get a mortgage as big as we have to) where there are loads of things to do e.g. watersports etc., families with other kids, etc. etc., THEN, when they have grown up, retire to the hills!
(That again might mean that we have to live in Perth cos it's cheaper though? )

What d'ya think of that !

Let's start again then - 4 beds, suburban lifestyle, pref. nearish to the sea - how much and where ?
I reckon we would have if we came today approx. 350k plus a mortgage for 150k = A$ 500 k.
What will that get us and where?

WARNING - I'll spend the next 3 years doing this you know, I enjoy looking at houses on the net, I have broadband at work and at home, I know I'm an addict but I CAN HANDLE IT OK?
Cadman.
Old Nov 11th 2004, 9:49 am
ABCDiamond

Let's start again then - 4 beds, suburban lifestyle, pref. nearish to the sea - how much and where ?
I reckon we would have if we came today approx. 350k plus a mortgage for 150k = A$ 500 k.
What will that get us and where?
$465,000

Upstairs to capture the bay breezes includes 4 bedrooms with ensuite to the main bedroom plus study. Downstairs featuring huge open plan living areas with sunken lounge complete with 10 foot ceilings, large outdoor entertainment area overlooking a brand new in-ground pool.

Victoria Point

Old Nov 11th 2004, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Nice! That would do nicely.
Victoria point would be bayside yes?

I should have added that a pool would be essential as we have used the lure of one to curry favour with the kids re:moving to Oz!
that and getting a parrot / iguana to replace the cat we are leaving behind!

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
$465,000

Upstairs to capture the bay breezes includes 4 bedrooms with ensuite to the main bedroom plus study. Downstairs featuring huge open plan living areas with sunken lounge complete with 10 foot ceilings, large outdoor entertainment area overlooking a brand new in-ground pool.

Victoria Point
Old Nov 11th 2004, 10:44 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Nice! That would do nicely.
Victoria point would be bayside yes?

I should have added that a pool would be essential as we have used the lure of one to curry favour with the kids re:moving to Oz!
that and getting a parrot / iguana to replace the cat we are leaving behind!
Ditto - i'll be bidding against you at the auction cadman !!
Old Nov 11th 2004, 10:50 am

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice!!!! That would do most people very nicely - If it wasn't overlooked by another house and on a bit more land I would be sorted - don't mind going more remote.

Thanks for the pics

Lynn
Old Nov 11th 2004, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
Nice!!!! That would do most people very nicely - If it wasn't overlooked by another house and on a bit more land I would be sorted - don't mind going more remote.
Don't start that again !
Old Nov 11th 2004, 11:04 am

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't start that again !
ooohh sorry!
Old Nov 11th 2004, 11:28 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Wellington Point - $469K - 5 bed + pool

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Nov 11th 2004 at 11:44 am. Reason: cos Im a lazy git & didnt post pic
Old Nov 11th 2004, 11:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Here are a couple of houses near us in Ormiston.

4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 2 cars, no pool, on 997sqm at $519k

3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, no pool, 4 cars, on 2023sqm (half acre), at $470k

You see, even at $500k you still can't have everything. But with a large block like one of these, you can always add a pool later on. The second property's got plans for upgrade to 5 bedrooms.

Mrs JTL
Old Nov 11th 2004, 11:38 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun

Thanks for the pics

Lynn
Therein lies the main problem with Cadmans original spec - it was just too hard to achieve.

As soon as you work out which points are negotiable and lower your requirements a bit there is a lot more choice.

For cadman I guess they thing is to work out what is a must have (by your posts I guess the 4 bedrooms are a top priority) and what is a nice to have (the 1 acre block and the mortgage free thing). As soon as you come down to below a quarter acre (say 700-850 sq m) and are prepared to take on a smallish mortgage of 100-150k there are houses to look at.

The other thing to bear in mind is the pool. If a property does not have one, but has enough space in the backyard you could get a pool for between 15 and 25k (depending on size etc.) so do not rule out a property with no pool if it is 30k cheaper than one with a pool.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Nov 11th 2004, 11:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philj6969
I have done the run from Chermside to woodford in rush hour in just over an hour. I wouldnt choose to work near Brisbane, but if I had to I wouldnt mind the commute. My neice drives from Nambour to Brisbane to work, two hours each way every day. She is a born Australian and its an accepted way of life to her. A large wide open country with lots of space has to have some disadvantages somewhere.

Phil.
Note you say from Chermside to woodford in rush hour. Are you heading OUT of the city in the morning, and back in the evening, i.e. against the rush hour traffics general direction?

Also Chermside into the CBD in rush hour can still be another 20 to 30 minutes.

Cheers,
JTL
Old Nov 11th 2004, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dagboy,

Yep, 4 beds - 1 each for us and the 3 kids. 5 would be nice i.e spare room for guests but if not 1 of the kids will have to share when guests come.

Thanks for the pool info - you say 15-25K, I'm assuming we're talking below ground pool?
Also, my cous outside MB has an established 20 year old pool and during water restrictions they are allowed to top it up whereas new pools cannot be filled until restrictions relax.
Is this relevant in bris?

As I mentioned, rural living might suit us but not the 3 nearly teenage (when we go) kids and we may both have to work in the CBD.
We'll retire up to the hills and buy a 2 bedroom with land and live off the proceeds of selling the house in Vic. Point!

Thanks

Andy.
(cadman)

Originally Posted by DagBoy
Therein lies the main problem with Cadmans original spec - it was just too hard to achieve.

As soon as you work out which points are negotiable and lower your requirements a bit there is a lot more choice.

For cadman I guess they thing is to work out what is a must have (by your posts I guess the 4 bedrooms are a top priority) and what is a nice to have (the 1 acre block and the mortgage free thing). As soon as you come down to below a quarter acre (say 700-850 sq m) and are prepared to take on a smallish mortgage of 100-150k there are houses to look at.

The other thing to bear in mind is the pool. If a property does not have one, but has enough space in the backyard you could get a pool for between 15 and 25k (depending on size etc.) so do not rule out a property with no pool if it is 30k cheaper than one with a pool.

Cheers,

DagBoy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.