Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Selling your UK house from Australia

Selling your UK house from Australia

Old Jan 7th 2014, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light
Default Selling your UK house from Australia

I'm looking for advice from people that have experience in this.

How did you do it from a distance ?
Its been many years since we last sold a house and I can't remember if you need funds in place to pay for solicitors etc, or whether they take their cut after everything is finished

Any advice or comments would be most appreciative

Stu
Old Jan 7th 2014, 9:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling your UK house from Australia

I have sold and bought a house in the UK from overseas. It was very straightforward really.

Some people talk about power of attorney, but I would never give anyone that myself, I want to retain responsibility for my affairs and there is no need to give anyone power of attorney. My solicitor just sent things to us that needed signing and we sent them back, we used DHL or similar for couriering papers.

You will need to pay for some things in advance, like a property pack, but most of the expenses will be taken from the sale proceeds by the solicitor when these are received. I always had a UK bank account so was able to make disbursements along the way very easily.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 11:36 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stu Ward
I'm looking for advice from people that have experience in this.

How did you do it from a distance ?
Its been many years since we last sold a house and I can't remember if you need funds in place to pay for solicitors etc, or whether they take their cut after everything is finished

Any advice or comments would be most appreciative

Stu
Easily done

We sold a property in the UK and did it by giving power of attorney to our solicitor (who happens to be a close family friend)

There were a few hiccups (which were to do with the pathetic conveyancing system that England has, not the lawyer) but it all went through in the end
Old Jan 8th 2014, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

Icecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I have sold and bought a house in the UK from overseas. It was very straightforward really.

Some people talk about power of attorney, but I would never give anyone that myself, I want to retain responsibility for my affairs and there is no need to give anyone power of attorney. My solicitor just sent things to us that needed signing and we sent them back, we used DHL or similar for couriering papers.

You will need to pay for some things in advance, like a property pack, but most of the expenses will be taken from the sale proceeds by the solicitor when these are received. I always had a UK bank account so was able to make disbursements along the way very easily.
As easy as explained. A lot done electronically now so no reason to be in the UK.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

I sold a house in NZ recently and it was 99% via the internet. Only had to print off one documents that had to be signed and witnessed by JOP during the whole process.
Most documents I just received via email and if I had to sign them just printed them off, signed them, scanned and returned via email.
Most just wanted a reply via email.

Make sure the sol you use is internet aware (my first choice wasn't which caused a slight hipcup until I dumped him).
Old Jan 10th 2014, 6:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul
I sold a house in NZ recently and it was 99% via the internet. Only had to print off one documents that had to be signed and witnessed by JOP during the whole process.
Most documents I just received via email and if I had to sign them just printed them off, signed them, scanned and returned via email.
Most just wanted a reply via email.

Make sure the sol you use is internet aware (my first choice wasn't which caused a slight hipcup until I dumped him).
Yep, pretty much how we did last year too. Easily done. Most fees were paid once the money was received by the Sol.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

al_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud of

We did it once we moved to Perth, all done via email A decent solicitor and estate agent makes the thing much easier.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 11:27 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If you have already moved to Australia, there may be capital gains tax in both the U.K. and Australia, although also opportunities to offset one against the other. You may want to research if any taxable gain is being realised in either/both the U.K. and Australia as you will need to include on your taxes if so.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 1:26 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Stu, we are right in the middle of this process now. Our UK house is on the market and all dealt with via email between us, Estate Agent abd Solicitor. WE had copied and emailed back all our signed forms and sent the originals via Registered Post (5 - 8 days).
Hopefully the sale won't take too long, but we have allocated funds to pay mortgage now our Tenants have vacated, and the house is in a really good sales area (Hook, Hants) at the moment. As soon as it goes through transferring the funds here for the deposit on our first home in The Gong!! The quicker the better because right now the exchange rate is pretty good!
Old Jan 20th 2014, 10:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
Stu, we are right in the middle of this process now. Our UK house is on the market and all dealt with via email between us, Estate Agent abd Solicitor. WE had copied and emailed back all our signed forms and sent the originals via Registered Post (5 - 8 days).
Hopefully the sale won't take too long, but we have allocated funds to pay mortgage now our Tenants have vacated, and the house is in a really good sales area (Hook, Hants) at the moment. As soon as it goes through transferring the funds here for the deposit on our first home in The Gong!! The quicker the better because right now the exchange rate is pretty good!

Indeed, the x-rate is good. Good luck.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 4:17 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers...here's hoping