Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

selling your house

selling your house

Old Sep 5th 2005, 7:55 am
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute
Default selling your house

what does everyone think of the house market at the mo ?
when do you think the house should be put on the market ?
do we wait till visa is approved or the tra approved ?
we wanted to go more or less as soon as we get the nod but we also cant go without seeling first

all help and advice welcomed and needed

jan & gaz xx
Old Sep 5th 2005, 7:59 am
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: selling your house

Originally Posted by robos
we wanted to go more or less as soon as we get the nod but we also cant go without seeling first

jan & gaz xx
Hi, we can't help you but wanted you to know that we are in exactly the same position. I think we have decided to put the house on the market when we submit the visa application. But the thing that is worrying us is if we sell the house (quickly fingers crossed) do we complete before we have the visa approved or do we try to postpone people until we get it through, which could potentially be 6 months or so. Decisions, decisions!!
Old Sep 5th 2005, 8:10 am
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wavy_davy
Hi, we can't help you but wanted you to know that we are in exactly the same position. I think we have decided to put the house on the market when we submit the visa application. But the thing that is worrying us is if we sell the house (quickly fingers crossed) do we complete before we have the visa approved or do we try to postpone people until we get it through, which could potentially be 6 months or so. Decisions, decisions!!

sorry to say this but glad we are not the only ones
our worry is if we sell and we dont get accepted we do love this house and hubby and my dad have put a lot of work into it and we would never be able to get one as good for what we paid for this
it is a hard decision to make
good luck with yours we hope it all goes well

jan & gaz xx
Old Sep 5th 2005, 8:35 am
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute

sorry to say this but glad we are not the only ones
our worry is if we sell and we dont get accepted we do love this house and hubby and my dad have put a lot of work into it and we would never be able to get one as good for what we paid for this
it is a hard decision to make
good luck with yours we hope it all goes well

jan & gaz xx
Hiya
Same dilemma here
I think we are going to put it on the market once we have a case officer for main application!
Like you if everything goes pear shaped would not want to live anywhere but this house if we have to stay in the UK and couldnt buy anything similar for the money we bought it as a wreck and Rob has worked really hard on it!
I will drag out the sale until we get visa! At the same time if it takes a while to sell we wont be panicking too much coz we will still be waiting for the visa!
It seems a really strange market at the minute a house similar to ours in our road sold in a week about 8 weeks ago!!
Not much help i know!
What to do?

Kris xx
Old Sep 5th 2005, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

I would sell it as soon as you can, you can always move in to temporary accommodation if need be. It's another big hurdle out of the way. I wish we had sold ours a lot earlier as we would be over on the gold coast now. We complete on Friday and i am currently waiting for the shippers to arrive so they can take our stuff and then hopefully we can relax a little :scared:. Good luck to all those that are selling property
Old Sep 5th 2005, 9:26 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

jan & gaz xx
I think the market is not particulary strange. Its the crappest time of year for trying to sell your house with schools only going back this week and the second house selling season beginning. The general housing outlook is reasonably optomistic, despite the doomsayers predictions of a house crash looking as likely as Bush being re-elected

What I think is perhaps a factor is that most people on here looking to sell their house want to do it asap since they want to get on and move so there is a lot of impatience. Sure, we'd have loved to have sold our house a while ago but the reality is that its the single most important asset we have and I'm was not about to dispose of it knowing it would set us back financially for many many years if we did not get our visa.

At the time the wait for visa was over a year so things could have changed for us a lot
Old Sep 5th 2005, 12:21 pm
one day rodders !!!

Originally Posted by Centurion
I think the market is not particulary strange. Its the crappest time of year for trying to sell your house with schools only going back this week and the second house selling season beginning. The general housing outlook is reasonably optomistic, despite the doomsayers predictions of a house crash looking as likely as Bush being re-elected

What I think is perhaps a factor is that most people on here looking to sell their house want to do it asap since they want to get on and move so there is a lot of impatience. Sure, we'd have loved to have sold our house a while ago but the reality is that its the single most important asset we have and I'm was not about to dispose of it knowing it would set us back financially for many many years if we did not get our visa.

At the time the wait for visa was over a year so things could have changed for us a lot

thanks for all the different advice guys
havent spoke to hubby about it yet but i think once tra say yes we will put it on the market then we can hold out for the best price while waiting for visa
what dya all think ?

jan xx
Old Sep 5th 2005, 12:41 pm
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute

havent spoke to hubby about it yet but i think once tra say yes we will put it on the market then we can hold out for the best price while waiting for visa
what dya all think ?

jan xx

I pretty much think that's what we'll do Jan. Good luck! Katy x
Old Sep 5th 2005, 12:57 pm
one day rodders !!!

Originally Posted by wavy_davy
I pretty much think that's what we'll do Jan. Good luck! Katy x

good luck to you too katy will keep everything crossed for you
jan xx
Old Sep 5th 2005, 1:43 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

what dya all think ?

jan xx
I think whatever you two decide will be the best thing for you

And yes - at the end of the day you dont have to sell - putting it on the market and accepting an offer are two different things!
Old Sep 5th 2005, 1:56 pm
Jammy Dodger

floss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nice

Originally Posted by Centurion
IAnd yes - at the end of the day you dont have to sell - putting it on the market and accepting an offer are two different things!
And if you are in the U.K. accepting an offer and actually exchanging contracts are two different things!!!! It's awful to think of it if you are buying, but I have heard of sellers pulling out or at least stalling only hours before contracts were due to be exchanged.... it's what some people call "testing the market" and others call "driving your purchaser to drink"!!!