Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

selling your home in the U.K

selling your home in the U.K

Old May 25th 2003, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

Garland is on a distinguished road
Default selling your home in the U.K

There seem quite a few of us who are waiting to sell our houses as the final step before the big move. Just wondered what options people felt they had if their house really doesn't seem to be selling? Are most people simply tied to having to wait til it sells? or are there other options you are considering?
Old May 25th 2003, 7:13 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: selling your home in the U.K

Originally posted by Garland
There seem quite a few of us who are waiting to sell our houses as the final step before the big move. Just wondered what options people felt they had if their house really doesn't seem to be selling? Are most people simply tied to having to wait til it sells? or are there other options you are considering?
I couldn't sell my flat for nearly 2 years (legal problems) but managed it in Feb this year. I was on the point of / considering remortgaging up the maximum allowed by the bank (checked it out and without a UK job they said 50%, I reckon if you manage it whilst still in a UK job you could get 90-100%) and then letting it out. Would have made sense as I could get out a lot of the capital value for use in NZ and if I fixed a long mortgage deal, could have been fairly confident of the rent paying the interest/ maintenance costs.

Cheers - Don
Old May 25th 2003, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

We have to sell our property in order to buy in oz. dont want to rent it out as this seems to me as a half hearted attempt to go to oz. Plus I wouldnt trust anyone to live in my house and keep it properly.
the profit from the sale of my home will buy us a home outright in Australia. So we are keeping our fingers crossed and I say a little prayer every now and again.

Cheers
BooBoo
Old May 25th 2003, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

xpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nice

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Garland
Just my experience ( we're from Bristol too Originaly ! ) but I wish we hadn't rushed to sell our house before moving to NZ - I feel if we'd rented it out untill we'd been here a year or so we would have had more choice if we'd decided to move back. As it is, we can't afford to move back now because of the ridiculous house prices in the UK
saying that, we don't intend to return to the UK, we are very happy here, but untill we got our PR agreed which took over a year, it was quite an unsettling feeling.
where abouts in Brissol are you from ?]
Old May 26th 2003, 1:05 am
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all

our house only went on the market on friday, we are confidant of selling (bungalow, they queue round the block) but if not completed for any reason before we go will appoint our solicitor power of attorney and the money will be sent straight over if we want. as it is we may leave some in the uk for a bit anyway, its all those complicated tax issues which need looking into. thankfully we have enough money for the first six months at least anyway, and will be renting initially so determined not to let any prospective buyer push us into a corner!
karen