British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Selling your car once you're ready to leave (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/selling-your-car-once-youre-ready-leave-659701/)

travelbug Mar 16th 2010 6:42 pm

Selling your car once you're ready to leave

Hi All, just wondered how people have found it best to get rid of their UK car's just before they leave for Oz? Not sure whether to just advertise outside our house/on the car, put it on ebay, find a 2nd hand car dealer or use one of those "webuyanycar.com" companies....:confused:

Thanks!
:)

I should prob add that our car is not worth a huge amount...

Pozz Mar 16th 2010 6:49 pm

Re: Selling your car once you're ready to leave

Ebay it then its done in a week.

The 'we buy' places will rip you off they offer you a price before you go then knock loads off for any mark or ding etc and make you wait all day until you just accept what they'll give you.

GoldCoastOrBust Mar 16th 2010 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Pozz (Post 8424619)
Ebay it then its done in a week.

The 'we buy' places will rip you off they offer you a price before you go then knock loads off for any mark or ding etc and make you wait all day until you just accept what they'll give you.

Just sold one on Autotrader inside a week, if the price is right, it will sell... and that price was a LOT better than we buy.

Dreamy Mar 16th 2010 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by travelbug (Post 8424597)
Hi All, just wondered how people have found it best to get rid of their UK car's just before they leave for Oz? Not sure whether to just advertise outside our house/on the car, put it on ebay, find a 2nd hand car dealer or use one of those "webuyanycar.com" companies....:confused:

Thanks!
:)

I should prob add that our car is not worth a huge amount...

We had a look at those 'webuyanycar' type places.. and they were a bit of a rip off.

We took ours back to our local dealer and they sold it for us on their forecourt. We agreed the price we'd be paid and they stuck their margin on top of that. It meant we could have the car right to the very last moment which, as a family of 5, was fairly necessary

(They were fabby and even took me and Himself to the train station after we dropped the car off!)

GoldCoastOrBust Mar 16th 2010 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by Dreamy (Post 8425046)
We had a look at those 'webuyanycar' type places.. and they were a bit of a rip off.

We took ours back to our local dealer and they sold it for us on their forecourt. We agreed the price we'd be paid and they stuck their margin on top of that. It meant we could have the car right to the very last moment which, as a family of 5, was fairly necessary

(They were fabby and even took me and Himself to the train station after we dropped the car off!)

Hadn't thought of that, got one more to shift, but that's a couple of months away

clarinsred Mar 16th 2010 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by GoldCoastOrBust (Post 8424956)
Just sold one on Autotrader inside a week, if the price is right, it will sell... and that price was a LOT better than we buy.

I agree, sold my sons banger last month in one day, the phone was none stop, and we ended up having 3 people sat in our close waiting to see the car, whilst the first person was test driving it. Needless to say we got the asking price. :thumbsup:

travelbug Mar 17th 2010 7:37 am

thanks everyone for your replies. :)
Looks like we will try the alternatives before approaching one of those webuyanycar type companies then!