Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Selling UK shares whilst in Oz....

Selling UK shares whilst in Oz....

Old Jun 4th 2006, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

MrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the rough
Default Selling UK shares whilst in Oz....

Hi guys,

Just a quick question...hoping someone can help as I feel I have been running around banging my head against a brick wall trying to sort this out....

I have some share certificates for a company in the UK that is listed on the AIM market. I have altered the shares so that they are registered to my Australian address (was told I had to do this by ComputerShare in the uK)..I am finding it a nightmare to try and sell the bleedin' things!! I have been told by a few of the online places that they dont deal with the AIM market in the UK......

Would really really appreciate any help anyone can give.

Cheers
Old Jun 4th 2006, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

MrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Selling UK shares whilst in Oz....

Originally Posted by MrFlibbleUK
Hi guys,

Just a quick question...hoping someone can help as I feel I have been running around banging my head against a brick wall trying to sort this out....

I have some share certificates for a company in the UK that is listed on the AIM market. I have altered the shares so that they are registered to my Australian address (was told I had to do this by ComputerShare in the uK)..I am finding it a nightmare to try and sell the bleedin' things!! I have been told by a few of the online places that they dont deal with the AIM market in the UK......

Cheers
Blimey....slippin faster than a slippy thing..on.a..erm...very slidey thing. Thought I would bump it back to the top again.....
Old Jun 4th 2006, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

sion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud of

Blimey....slippin faster than a slippy thing..on.a..erm...very slidey thing. Thought I would bump it back to the top again.....

just thought I would jump in, I am in the same boat regarding shares

anyone out there that can help
Old Jun 5th 2006, 1:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sion
just thought I would jump in, I am in the same boat regarding shares

anyone out there that can help
If I find out anything I will let you know (just found out that ComputerShare have an office in melbourne...might give them a ring)...would appreciate it if you find out anything you could let me know.

Cheers
Old Jun 5th 2006, 1:22 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

we have shares, but are FTSE 100 companies. The share certs are held with Hoodless Brennan and when we come to sell it can be done on line.

Have a check with them to see if they do AIM shares
Old Jun 5th 2006, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,

Cheers

We have a financial adviser in the UK who handles this sort of thing for us. I am completely clueless with this sort of thing!! He sends me regular reports on stuff and I know if I wanted to sell things he could organise that. He's someone my parents have used for years so I have trusted their judgment when I decided to leave things with him

Is there someone you could contact in the UK like this?

Rudi
Old Jun 5th 2006, 4:21 am
Forum Regular

Fardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the rough

Good news is that it can be done from Australia .. use the contact form at www.exfin.com ... but the bad news is that it's a bit pricey. I think the fees were around 1% local brokerage plus about AUD90 for UK costs, whatever they are. I am sure you could do it through a UK broker by "snail mail" for less - I guess it depends how much the shares are worth and what your time frame is.

Cheers
Old Jun 5th 2006, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Set yourself up with an account with TD Waterhouse. I deal in AIM shares no problem.
Old Jun 5th 2006, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

Fardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the rough

I've got a feeling you are in the UK :-) My understanding, or maybe things have changed recently, is that you cannot be a member of the online share sites in the UK if you are not a resident of the UK. I would love this to be wrong, dealing in foreign shares from Australia is ridiculously expensive.
Old Jun 5th 2006, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fardell
I've got a feeling you are in the UK :-) My understanding, or maybe things have changed recently, is that you cannot be a member of the online share sites in the UK if you are not a resident of the UK. I would love this to be wrong, dealing in foreign shares from Australia is ridiculously expensive.
Unless your dad is a stockbroker in the UK
Old Jun 5th 2006, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

I asked them this question 6 months or so ago and after checking with someone said it wasn't a problem.
Old Jun 5th 2006, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

Using your father could be considered as "cheating" - particularly if they funded any purchases?? For some reason I can't access the tdwaterhouse.co.uk site at the moment ... typical!

Internaxx is also another alternative - great range of exchanges - but expensive unless your volume/trading frequency is high.
Old Jun 5th 2006, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

For some reason I can't access the tdwaterhouse.co.uk site at the moment ... typical!
Yep - seems to be down at the moment.
Old Jun 5th 2006, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

Anyone trading might be just a little peeved, I'm glad to know it's not just me who is locked out of the TDW site. The MSN cache suggested there was something available, I guess we will just have to wait and see. I was declined by 3 sites in the UK about 12 months ago because of "non-residence", so it might be an attractive option.

I'm not sure it's a practical option for people in Oz with a few shares to sell though, unless they want to regularly trade. They would have to establish an account, inject some funds, need to have a UK bank account (I assume) and somehow "transfer" their current shares into the account (not always easy) - before selling them. Call me old fashioned, or lazy .. and it has happened .. but sometimes I just want to talk to a broker, stuff my certificates in an envelope and let them deal with the cr*ppy paperwork.

Cheers
Old Jun 5th 2006, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Anyone trading might be just a little peeved, I'm glad to know it's not just me who is locked out of the TDW site. The MSN cache suggested there was something available, I guess we will just have to wait and see. I was declined by 3 sites in the UK about 12 months ago because of "non-residence", so it might be an attractive option.

I'm not sure it's a practical option for people in Oz with a few shares to sell though, unless they want to regularly trade. They would have to establish an account, inject some funds, need to have a UK bank account (I assume) and somehow "transfer" their current shares into the account (not always easy) - before selling them. Call me old fashioned, or lazy .. and it has happened .. but sometimes I just want to talk to a broker, stuff my certificates in an envelope and let them deal with the cr*ppy paperwork.

Cheers
It's a doddle to transfer stock in. Just print off a CREST transfer form from their site - fill it in and send it with your cert. A week or so later stock is added to your account. REALLY cuts down on the paperwork. Just wish I'd done it years ago!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.