Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Selling UK house after moving to Oz?

Selling UK house after moving to Oz?

Old Feb 24th 2006, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

ScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud of
Default Selling UK house after moving to Oz?

We're in a situation where we're just not getting a lot of activity in our house. We've dropped 10k, but the agents say the market is still v.quiet, so we're thinking of moving to Perth where we have jobs waiting and selling the house from there. Has anyone tried that and know if there are any issues?

Scott
Old Feb 24th 2006, 9:12 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Selling UK house after moving to Oz?

Originally Posted by ScottDavis
We're in a situation where we're just not getting a lot of activity in our house. We've dropped 10k, but the agents say the market is still v.quiet, so we're thinking of moving to Perth where we have jobs waiting and selling the house from there. Has anyone tried that and know if there are any issues?

Scott
You could arrange an Ordinary Power of Attorney with your solicitor/family member who can then act on your behalf for the house sale and sign documents etc. THis would be easier than getting the docs sent to you etc etc.

Ordinary Power of Attorney
Ordinary Powers of Attorney are created for a set period of time in cases where the Donor is going abroad or is unable to act for some other reason and wishes someone else to have the authority to act on his or her behalf. An Ordinary Power of Attorney will usually end either at a specified time or upon the request of the Donor at any time using a Deed of Revocation and will automatically be revoked if the Donor loses mental capacity.

This Ordinary Power of Attorney gives the Attorney authority to take decisions and actions on behalf of the Donor, as if the Donor were taking them himself or herself, in relation to nearly all the Donor's property and affairs. This could include buying or selling property or shares, signing cheques etc. It does not enable the Attorney to exercise functions which the Donor has as a trustee or personal representative (i.e. where the Donor is the co-owner of land or the administrator of someone's estate). It allows you to appoint up to four Attorneys.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 9:22 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Scott
I disposed of a property whilst in Australia. Just ensured that I left a power of attorney with my solicitor who would deal with me by email.

Just ensure that you leave all the papers with the solicitor to do with the property.

Its not a problem at all.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Couldn't sell ours before we left so we took tenants (didn't cover the mortgage but better than nothing) and thankfully they bought it at the end of their lease. Took them 4 months to get the paperwork together and lots of distress (isn't there always) but it worked out well in the end.

We had to get a point of contact with our mortgage company and bank account as we had a lot of cock-ups when we first arrived and we had an excellent solicitor who usually came to the phone when called as it was such a distance and always gave sound advice.

Before we left we'd done the inventory, filled in most of the forms, etc. There were still a few forms, contracts, etc to go back and forth but the timing of stuff in the UK is so slow that we were still ready ages before our buyer.

Just make sure you appoint a solicitor who knows your circumstances, get a personal contact (with a direct line number as 0845 costs a fortune and leaves you listening to music for hours) at your banks and ensure you're very happy with your estate agent. If you have wonderful family and/or friends to let you know what's going on and chase stuff if necessary that's a big help too.

Otherwise selling from here isn't much different and at least you're getting on with your new life straight away.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

ScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Centurion
I disposed of a property whilst in Australia. Just ensured that I left a power of attorney with my solicitor who would deal with me by email.

Just ensure that you leave all the papers with the solicitor to do with the property.
Thanks. Looks like that is going to be our preferred option now rather than waiting indefinitely....
Old Feb 24th 2006, 10:44 pm

Scotty123 is an unknown quantity at this point

we are moving to aus without selling the house as in the area we are in it is only going to go up in value at least for the next year or so...

so we are giong to sell in about a years time while in aussie
Old Feb 24th 2006, 11:40 pm
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute

If you do sell your house in the UK while you are in Oz, someone said to us there are tax implications on the money leaving the UK and entering Australia, does anyone know if this is true??
Old Feb 24th 2006, 11:49 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toon williams
If you do sell your house in the UK while you are in Oz, someone said to us there are tax implications on the money leaving the UK and entering Australia, does anyone know if this is true??

There is such a thing as capital *gains* tax (and income tax), however contrary to popular myth there is no such thing as capital *transfer* tax.
Old Feb 25th 2006, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Scott
Good luck and go for it ! would be my advice.If you can afford to go without selling your house first then you are really lucky .Leave it down to the agent.A lot less hassle than having to put up with the world and his wife trapsing through your home.
Old Feb 25th 2006, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
There is such a thing as capital *gains* tax (and income tax), however contrary to popular myth there is no such thing as capital *transfer* tax.
I dont think you have to pay capital gains tax if it is your only home you own. If you decide to buy a house in oz get your UK property valued by a proper valuer and its the difference between the value then and the value when you sale that you pay cap gains on. If its your only home then there is no cap gains for 6 years (is this right). correct me if I'm wrong someone. Its so confusing.

I am now in the process of selling our UK property from here. We didn't give power of attorney to anyone. Its gonna be a bit of a hassle, especially as we cant seem to get our solicitors email to except scanned attachments, still if we pull our finger out and get everything sent over now the only thing that will cause an issue will be the contract.

Jo
Old Feb 25th 2006, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

barkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nice

Originally Posted by joho
I dont think you have to pay capital gains tax if it is your only home you own. If you decide to buy a house in oz get your UK property valued by a proper valuer and its the difference between the value then and the value when you sale that you pay cap gains on. If its your only home then there is no cap gains for 6 years (is this right). correct me if I'm wrong someone. Its so confusing.

I am now in the process of selling our UK property from here. We didn't give power of attorney to anyone. Its gonna be a bit of a hassle, especially as we cant seem to get our solicitors email to except scanned attachments, still if we pull our finger out and get everything sent over now the only thing that will cause an issue will be the contract.

Jo
We still own a house in the uk and were under the impression that if you do not live in it for 3 years then when you sell you have to pay capital gains tax.
To avoid this we would have to return to the uk and live in it for 18 months before selling it.
I would be interested to know if anyone has the correct information on this as it is a worry and we are currently renting over here as we dont have a deposit, particularly as we live in Sydney which is very pricey.