Selling Property in the South East of England

Selling Property in the South East of England

Old Oct 31st 2003, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

Location: From Oxfordshire, to the Out Laws in Bucks, to Cleveland in Brisbane
josiejo1974 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Selling Property in the South East of England

Hi

I have had my house up for sale now since July and have had 4 viewings to date, the last of which was at the beginning of August.

We are now on our second Agent, have lowered the price, reached the end of the 8 week tie in period and have had no viewings with this agent.

Is anyone else having similar problems? Just need to feel that we're not alone as we love our house and can't understand why no one wants to come and see it....

Jo
Old Oct 31st 2003, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Selling Property in the South East of England

Originally posted by josiejo1974
Hi

I have had my house up for sale now since July and have had 4 viewings to date, the last of which was at the beginning of August.

We are now on our second Agent, have lowered the price, reached the end of the 8 week tie in period and have had no viewings with this agent.

Is anyone else having similar problems? Just need to feel that we're not alone as we love our house and can't understand why no one wants to come and see it....

Jo
Hi Jo,
i work for an estate agent, although only as a SECRETARY, i dont sell houses! but we are pretty slow, have been for a month or so, its really early for a slow down, doesn't usually get this quiet till mid november, so i'm not sure why its like it is?!?! I understand your frustration very well, we have vendors who feel exactly the same, all i can say is someone will come along and buy it, you may just have to wait a while longer,
sorry i've no good news for you,
rach
Old Oct 31st 2003, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Rach, I know it's everywhere at the moment, most of the houses in Witney with the exception of the brand spanking new ones all have for sale boards up.

I just thought for some daft reason that we'd have more interest in it that what we have done. I'm finding the house sale or lack of it more stressful and depressing than waiting to hear from Adelaide!

Oh well, back to the wait then.....

Jo
Old Oct 31st 2003, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default waiting...nightmare!

Thanks Rach, I know it's everywhere at the moment, most of the houses in Witney with the exception of the brand spanking new ones all have for sale boards up.

I just thought for some daft reason that we'd have more interest in it that what we have done. I'm finding the house sale or lack of it more stressful and depressing than waiting to hear from Adelaide!

Oh well, back to the wait then.....

Jo
Hi Jo
it is depressing, im far too nice to be an estate agent, i get too emotional when things dont' go right for people
how long in with your app are you? we're only just in and thinking of putting the bungalow on the market after the new year, i know i will be a nightmare vendor!
keep smiling and just think it'll all be over soon.
hugs
rach
Old Oct 31st 2003, 8:15 pm
Finally back home

sally1968 is on a distinguished road

Hi

Jo
Hi Jo,

Although we haven't had our house on the market quite as long as you, we also feel really frustrated that we haven't had that much interest. All the estate agents that came to value it said it should sell really quickly and we are just getting to the stage of thinking of changing our agent.

We are feeling particularly frustrated as hubby already has his visa (spouse visa) and although he doesn't need to validate until end of May we were really hoping to be gone before then.

I have to agree this is definately worse than waiting for the visa!

At least we aren't he only one in the same boat.

Take care and good luck

Sally and family
Old Oct 31st 2003, 8:33 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

We had our house on at the beginning of june and had had only 4 viewings. Had to drop 20k to get an offer in the end but have sold now hopefully ... ( as its never certain)
Old Nov 1st 2003, 9:18 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Hi

Jo
Change your estate agents Quick it is made not to have had more than that in the south east We were inundated and we refused to tie ourselves into a lengthy contract but have no complaints about our agents they were excellent it was the buyers who were pillocks. If they tell you it is because the price is wrong then they should have said so in the very first place.
Old Nov 1st 2003, 9:33 am
Anxiously awaiting March

vicky o will become famous soon enoughvicky o will become famous soon enough

We tried to sell our house just recently and have now taken it off the market because we don't want to sell over Christmas. We had 3 viewings over a 10 week period, not even one offer! Sucks!!
Old Nov 1st 2003, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

Hi

Thanks for all your encouragement, I'm relieved to know I'm not alone.

We're in week 26 of the 136 Independent Visa, it hasn't been granted yet, we're waiting in line for the request for Med's and Police Cert's. We only wanted to sell it so early as we're moving in with family rent free until we've saved enough money to pay for move so we're not eating into our equity. So.... the planned date for departure is ebbing further away. Ho-Hum.

Will think about changing agents again, although Witney only has about 10 agency's and we're on agent number 2, they might blacklist or something if we change again...

Jo
Old Nov 1st 2003, 12:01 pm

kevwalt is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry selling houses

Our house as been on the market for about 5 months, only 2 viewers got one at 3 oclock to day so see how it goes. Most people that come to look are just nosy
Old Nov 1st 2003, 2:07 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice
Default Re: selling houses

Originally posted by kevwalt
Our house as been on the market for about 5 months, only 2 viewers got one at 3 oclock to day so see how it goes. Most people that come to look are just nosy

good luck for today (How about getting trading up in then the advertisement gets the sale?? l0l
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

alrobson will become famous soon enoughalrobson will become famous soon enough

Hi,

I just recently completed the sale of my house so I know how you all feel! I spoke to my solicitor about it when I went in to sign the forms and he said that it was definitely slowing down. I have no issue with estate agents but they will tell you that they can sell your house no problem, it's their job to get as many decent houses as possible to ensure that they have a full quota with variety for when customers come knocking at their door. All sales people do it, it's just a fact of life. Anyway, I would be concerned if I had a lack of viewings. When I was selling my house I had quite a few people around in the first week and then nobody for the next two weeks and you do start to think what's wrong with my house!! It doens't help with the media talking about interest rates going up and housing crash virtually every day. Buyers also know they are in a really good position. I work with a few people who don't own their own home but are thinking about it and they all think they are going to get a right bargain when they buy because of all the info the media is putting out. Hassle the estate agent and be PRO-ACTIVE, don't just sit there waiting for it to sell, get onto other estate agents, go in and see them instead of phone so they know who you are.

Get onto the estate agent and find out why the lack of viewings. Ask them how many people they have looking for properties of your type on their mailing lists etc. Ask other sellers in the same area how they are going on. We hardly ever spoke to the woman across the road from us but since we both put our houses up at the same time we were chatting everyday. It's nice to talk to other people who are in the same position as you especially in the same area.

Good luck to everyone selling their house.

Adrian
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

dibrucewillis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re:lull in housing market -NW england

We too are expereincing a lull in the housing market.
We haven't had any viewings for over two weeks now and its making me feel very frustrated.
We have our house up for sale privately since mid July and in all we have only had about 6 viewers.
I have been checking out all the property websites looking at houses similar to ours and nothing seems to be budging.
Is it because we are coming up to Xmas?

I am tempted to put it onthe market with an estate agent because I am also wondering if people feel happier using a middle man.
Any thoughts on this

Diane
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 12:57 pm
too busy to work members

Originally posted by dibrucewillis
We too are expereincing a lull in the housing market.
We haven't had any viewings for over two weeks now and its making me feel very frustrated.
We have our house up for sale privately since mid July and in all we have only had about 6 viewers.
I have been checking out all the property websites looking at houses similar to ours and nothing seems to be budging.
Is it because we are coming up to Xmas?

I am tempted to put it onthe market with an estate agent because I am also wondering if people feel happier using a middle man.
Any thoughts on this

Diane

There is a problem with private house sales - as estate agents in a chain do not have the contact with an estate agent to find out how things are going and you as a private seller cannot contact amny of the solicitors except your own.

However as you have not had any offers this HAS NOT YET COME UP - BUT IT MAY???

A good agent is worth his money believe me but it has to be a good one - go for an independent and do not tie yourself down to a contract just confirm you will give them 2 weeks written notice of cancellation this is so they do not waste an advertisement which has to be arranged early.
Good luck.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

dibrucewillis is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Colin & Yvonne

I think that I will put it up with an agent,but the question is should I wait until after Xmas or do it now.

We did have somebody make us an offer back in August and it wasn't a very good offer( £18k less than asking price) and I was very insulted by it.

If an agent is doing the negotiating then I suppose I won't have to know about any stupid offers

Diane
Originally posted by yafm
There is a problem with private house sales - as estate agents in a chain do not have the contact with an estate agent to find out how things are going and you as a private seller cannot contact amny of the solicitors except your own.

However as you have not had any offers this HAS NOT YET COME UP - BUT IT MAY???

A good agent is worth his money believe me but it has to be a good one - go for an independent and do not tie yourself down to a contract just confirm you will give them 2 weeks written notice of cancellation this is so they do not waste an advertisement which has to be arranged early.
Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.