Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

selling our house

selling our house

Old Mar 4th 2004, 3:39 pm
Lanarkshire Lass

sandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the rough
Default selling our house

We have had our house on the market since last September and nothing remotely resembling a sale. We had our medicals in Dec and they have asked us for our $100,000. We were hoping to leave for Perth in April, no chance now, even May isn't looking likely. Anybody else in a similar position? Anybody left for Aus or planning to leave with their house still up for sale? We have dropped the price but wonder if changing agents will benefit us.
Old Mar 4th 2004, 4:01 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Default Re: selling our house

Originally posted by sandradee
We have had our house on the market since last September and nothing remotely resembling a sale. We had our medicals in Dec and they have asked us for our $100,000. We were hoping to leave for Perth in April, no chance now, even May isn't looking likely. Anybody else in a similar position? Anybody left for Aus or planning to leave with their house still up for sale? We have dropped the price but wonder if changing agents will benefit us.
Hi SD

Soz to hear about house selling probs

We're selling too. Told it should sell quickly but after 6 weeks encountering same probs as you. Anything in first time buyer range is selling fast. Outside of this seems to be a slower market.

We intend to sell ours before we go. Will change agents in few weeks time.

Keep your chin up. Someone will come along eventually

Phoenixuk2oz

Old Mar 4th 2004, 4:26 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

mine's been on 4 weeks now and not even a sniff When I eventually get someone round to look.....think I'll maybe just have to hold them hostage until they agree to buy it!!! ....no REALLY

Petra
Old Mar 4th 2004, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally posted by sandradee
Sandra
Ours was put on the market late June and we only got an offer mid nov. We have still not even signed contracts yet as the buyers have been stalling.

Good luck.
Old Mar 4th 2004, 5:03 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

We have been looking to buy in Surrey. We have nothing to sell so are in a strong position as buyers. I think the market certainly has cooled a bit because we have had sellers instructing their agents to chase us to let us know they are prepared to be VERY flexible on price. Some sellers have had their agents call us daily to try to tempt us to make ANY offer we like.
As a seller I think a bit of realism is required and try not to believe the crap estate agents spout. Likewise as a buyer, we have ignored the agents crap - telling us we must move quickly on properties we know have been on the market for months etc etc. Estate agents really are scum and my advice if you really want to sell is do lots of research and pitch your property at the low end of the comparable range and take their valuations with a pinch of salt. We've seen agents trying to push prices up in the area we are looking at over the past few months, with each 'new instruction' being a few percent more expensive than those a couple of weeks before, despite the fact that about 90% that came on the market since November/December when we first started looking remain unsold. I've said it before on this forum and I'll say it again - estate agents are scum and in a large part responsible for the British housing boom. They have consistently pushed the boundaries on price as they know there have been good mortgage deals out there. They capitalise on other peoples fears and mysery and have the business ethics of your average mafia don.
Anyway, we had an offer accepted on a place this week so it looks like our search is over. There are so many properties to choose from that we were able to select only those that are chain free or where the seller was prepared to move out whatever their circumstances and were able to negotiate 10% off an asking price that was last April's selling price (a sale fell through and they put it back on at the original price).
Some more advice to you sellers - be prepared to move out when the buyer wants. We walked away from a number of properties, despite loving them, because the old farts who owned them said they had not found anywhere yet and they were not prepared to move out until they were good and ready.
Old Apr 10th 2005, 10:44 pm
Banned

sam1967 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sandradee
can i ask you how much you are asking and where it is ?