Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Selling our home - fustrating

Selling our home - fustrating

Old Apr 23rd 2006, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

paulaljones has a spectacular aura aboutpaulaljones has a spectacular aura aboutpaulaljones has a spectacular aura about
Default Selling our home - fustrating

Got our visa's 3 weeks ago , but not having much luck selling house. Been on the market 7 weeks now with one agent - no viewings at all, had 1 viewing with another agent who we are using also, but no luck. I presume the market is still slow as the moment - the thing is its so fustrating when you know this is all thats holding you back, we're ready to go but can't till we've sold it. what are other peoples experiences with selling, is it the same all round? It was a long waiting game for the visa but it could be even longer with selling up. :scared:
Paula & Dave
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling our home - fustrating

Originally Posted by paulaljones
Got our visa's 3 weeks ago , but not having much luck selling house. Been on the market 7 weeks now with one agent - no viewings at all, had 1 viewing with another agent who we are using also, but no luck. I presume the market is still slow as the moment - the thing is its so fustrating when you know this is all thats holding you back, we're ready to go but can't till we've sold it. what are other peoples experiences with selling, is it the same all round? It was a long waiting game for the visa but it could be even longer with selling up. :scared:
Paula & Dave

We got our Visa on Jan 4th, put the house on the market on Jan 24th. So I know what you mean about the nothing stopping you except selling the house. I think it's worse than waiting for the visa.

We had three viewings within the first 3 weeks, but 2 of them were the "lets just have a nosy" brigade. The other put an offer in but pulled out two days later.

We didn't hear anything else from the agents in the next few weeks, so we changed agents. It cost us £120 to get out of the contract !

Our new agents have been excellent. He had us a viewing within 6 hours of us signing up with him, however she hadn't sold so wasn't in the position to make an offer. Ten days later we had another viewing, she put an offer in which we accepted.

The market is still quite slow, but I also believe that some agents don't do enough to get you viewings. The lady who has put in the offer on our house actually wanted another house just down the road, but the agent told her to look at ours as well. She likes ours better, because it's bigger and also doesn't need any work at all whereas the other house is the same price, but needs re-decorating throught out (unless you actually like Pink everywhere that is, and don't mind having no bath).

So if you feel your agent isn't doing enough, change them.
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

Mel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really nice

Paula & Dave
Congratulations on getting your visa's!

We put our house on the market last August! :scared: We have still not sold.
So i think the market is still pretty slow. We are still not in any rush at the moment as we haven't got our visa's yet, but it is disheartening when you don't get many viewers.

Hope things pick up for you.

Melissa
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 11:18 am
One of Big G's girls.

Loubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to behold

Paula & Dave
We're in the same position. Visas in hand but no luck selling the house. Accepted a low offer 10 weeks ago,( a cash buyer who wanted to move in asap ) then they backed out a couple of days before exchange, so that wasted around 8 weeks
I've now lost the job I was supposed to start at the begining of June, as well.
A couple of time waster viewings since, but not a hint of an offer. House on all websites, local paper etc. Have got the agent coming round tomorrow evening to discuss a plan, but wont hold my breath. Will probably need to get another couple of agents on board.
It doesn't seem like the market is picking up around here, despite what the agents say!
Need to try and stay positive- I find that sampling Australian wines ( purely in the interests of migration research ) helps
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

We put our house on the market in early January and the estate agents were a waste of space. We have now changed estate agents so hopefully things will improve but as yet we have not even had a viewer. It is so frustrating as we have seen a house here we like and would like to buy but we cannot do anything till ours sells. I really don't think that estate agents deserve their money as they don't actively sell houses, they seem to rely on people going to them.
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 11:33 am
flirt

stutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond repute

Paula & Dave
I know exactly what you mean, been on the market 9 weeks now , had 1 viewing with no luck, it's really getting us down. we've dropped our price nearly 10.000 too
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 12:08 pm
Home at last

michellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to all

You might not want to hear this but things are moving a bit in the market. No viewings would indicate to me that the house is priced too high and/or the marketing material doesn't present the house in the best light, therefore people don't see "value" in your house and won't go look at it.

We had a problem with our house in that the front of our house was a bit of a mess. I'd been pregnant or had a small child for the two years previous and my hubby doesn't "do" gardening so it was pretty rough although the inside (if I may say!) was gorgeous. We found people would drive past (saw loads of people having a nosey) but wouldn't come in for viewings. Compared to other houses on the street, we were good value but they all had nicer front gardens.

We changed agents when our contract was up - in that time we had *one* viewing from someone who apparently loved it but it wasn't the right location. The new agents took new pics and marketed it at the same price for a few weeks with nothing, then we dropped it by £10K and got two viewings - first woman put in 1.5K under asking price and then bought our furniture and we were out 8 weeks later.

Michelle
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

SBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud of

We're at the other end of the stick! we sold to early we think,as you can see below we hope our buyer holds out till June/July ?? we have our doubts but we'll just have to see
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

paulaljones has a spectacular aura aboutpaulaljones has a spectacular aura aboutpaulaljones has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for all the replies. Its kind a reassuring to know that we're not the only ones.
Have already dropped price of house £7,000 but no viewings, thinking we're going to look on websites in Australia see how much property is to buy (even though we plan to rent initially) and see what house we would be able to purchase it we drop our house price by the same again. Just want to get out there.
Done plenty of sampling of the Aussie wine which certainly picks your spirits up at the time!! Cheers again
Paula & Dave
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 4:42 pm
Bloomin' well done it!!!!

ladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SBUK
We're at the other end of the stick! we sold to early we think,as you can see below we hope our buyer holds out till June/July ?? we have our doubts but we'll just have to see
Hi,
We are in this position too. Just accepted good offer and house only on the market 2 weeks . We haven't got visa yet but stipulated that in order to accept the offer we would not move out until end June. Buyers ok with this luckily.

I figured though, that it would be more frustrating to have a visa and be stuck with the house - - might backfire on us though - -may use toooooo much wonga on rent!!! :scared:

Good luck to everyone trying to sell up.

xRachx
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

Rachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud of

We're just in the process of putting ours on the market and after reading this thread I'm dreading it even more than I was before - has anyone used the houseladder website to advertise their house? and if so how did you find that - did you get any where with that? We're thinking of using it and a local agent - any advice re houseladder would be welcome!
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 5:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rachelle
We're just in the process of putting ours on the market and after reading this thread I'm dreading it even more than I was before - has anyone used the houseladder website to advertise their house? and if so how did you find that - did you get any where with that? We're thinking of using it and a local agent - any advice re houseladder would be welcome!

We used it. We got 5 requests for viewings through it, but since we hadn't paid we couldn't access their contact details. Only reason we didn't upgrade to get their numbers was that they looked like agents and we had some viewing lined up so thought we'd hang on a while.

What I did do though was to post a picture of the front of my house, making sure the for sale sign was in view, that way they could see who it was on the market with

I got the pics and description from the estate agents web page and just amended a few minor things to make it a bit more personal.

We did have one guy turn up on the doorstep through the ad though, I told him if he wanted to view to speak to the estate agent as we were just on our way out. He never got in touch though. Don't know if it was because he wanted us to reduce a lot or if I put him off by not dropping everything.