Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Selling houses send's you grey not children!

Selling houses send's you grey not children!

Old Aug 3rd 2003, 10:14 am
plumber39

Default Selling houses send's you grey not children!

Put house on the market 12 month's ago ,about 10 viewing's first 8 month's, but since christmas had about 30. Had 1st serious offer (full asking price)about 5month's ago they loved it returned 3 time's checking out area etc brought his binocular's to check out tile's on roof ,measured up for funiture decided which wall's they were going to knock down ,great thought good as sold but then 1 wk later leave's message on estate agent's answer phone saying offer with-drawn excuss found loose tile on roof!(b******k's). Then a wk later get 2nd offer again for full amount and we go through the same crap love it ,we want to move asap etc, then again offer later with-drawn(in other word's did'nt have the finances) then 1 month go's by and nothing,then we get various odd people turning up for a nose.Then we get a couple that said they liked the house but needed to sort out school's etc then went on holiday then finally decided to make an offer (again full amount) i said look we've been mucked about so much we will acept the offer but until a deposite was fourth comming it stay's on the market ,they told me how genuine they were( like all before them) took it with the usual pinch of salt,they said where their house is it will sell in day's but it did'nt matter because they could raise the deposit any way with out house sale. Now a about 8 wk's have passed and they've only just got a buyer.They completed the survey on our house about 6 wk's ago(£700 jobby) but now do not want to commit to putting down deposit.Then from out of the blue a jockey from surrey ring's saying he will have the house and his house sale is as good as complete and want's me to drop the other people. What could i do with these other people so far dowm the road(i did'nt want to lose them just in case,then jockey said look you can't expect me to enter into a contract spending money on a survey etc if these other peopole are so far ahead in the race and end up getting the house(i could see his point but still could;nt afford to lose these other people!) After talking to solicitor he recommended a contract race ,both interested partie's agreed , but when it came to the crunch the jockey could'nt raise the finances he said he had ,and made the excuss over the phone that he had to turn down his buyer's because of problem's at home ,so he was now pulling out. So now i'm back with dealing with the original purchaser's, who have now told me how unamused they were at being put in a contract race and that it had put them in a positon that they were now looking at other houses because they thought they would lose the race with the jockey,and then just when you think thing's can't get any worse. Out of the blue the farmer now want's to put the barn right next to my house up for sale!!! Then if this is'nt enough a couple who came to look at the house a 2 wk's before (which i thought were time waster's)were the one's to suggest the idea to the farmer! CAN YOU BELEAVE IT if these pepole end up buying the barn 1- they've devalued the house by at least £50000 and problably made it unsaleable and 2-the people who would possibly have ended up buying the house pull out ! YOU LOT THINK YOU'VE GOT PROBLEM'S.

BLOODY BEAM ME UP SCOOTY BEFORE I RAP MY PIPE BENDER ROUND SOMEONE'S NECK

PS Am i going to have a drink today or twenty!!!!!

THE VERY UNHAPPY PLUMBER!

Last edited by plumber39; Aug 3rd 2003 at 3:05 pm.

Old Aug 3rd 2003, 10:21 am
huge,throbbing member

baldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nice

Feel for you mate.Don't you love these people who whinge cos they aint sold after 3 weeks.
Won't bore you with our house sale up to now at the mo,put it on here before.
Now our latest "small chain "buyer has a sister buying his house waiting on a divorce settlement (like our last twat so-called buyers).

Keep Britain warm for me.

BB-If me butt weren't bald,it'd be grey.
Old Aug 3rd 2003, 11:23 am
plumber39

JUST GOING OUT- SIDE TO LIE DOWN AND SEE IF ANYONE WANT'S KICK THE F**K OUT OF ME!. IT WOULD BE NICE TO FINISH THE DAY ON A HIGH!!!!!!!

PS OH SORRY ABOUT THE GRAMMER! CAN ONLY SEE RED AT THE MOMENT!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by plumber39; Aug 3rd 2003 at 11:43 am.

Old Aug 3rd 2003, 12:01 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by plumber39
JUST GOING OUT- SIDE TO LIE DOWN AND SEE IF ANYONE WANT'S KICK THE F**K OUT OF ME!. IT WOULD BE NICE TO FINISH THE DAY ON A HIGH!!!!!!!

PS OH SORRY ABOUT THE GRAMMER!
Cheer up Plumber,
Our house was on the market for 5 full days before we sold it at the asking price. Stress-free? Naaaaaa don't be daft
Bloody teenage daughter is still going through rebellious stage, threatening not to come with us, out every night drinking and now we have the waste of space boyfriend who thinks it's a laugh to chomp his way around her neck like a bloody vampire. Tuesday she had a job interview and went looking like a cheap- tart, [I wouldn't give her a job on a building site making tea]. She then celebrated flunking the interview by having her tongue pierced.
I know she's had some serious problems in her life so far and I remember how bad the girls at school were all those years ago but I'd swap the teenage attitude for a longer house sale anyway.
Sean

Grey and Grumpy [and listening to something kids call music booming through the floor AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH
Old Aug 3rd 2003, 12:18 pm

kevwalt is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face slow down in housing

we have had our house on the market about 8 weeks not a single person to look

drives you around the ubend
kev

Brisbaine Bound soon
(just got back a week ago from Perth,Brisbain & Melbourne)
Old Aug 3rd 2003, 12:21 pm
plumber39

Oh, the house business is just part of it!, my eldest son said 2-week's ago , he had changed his mind and would never leave his girlfriend behind ,it was true love. Anyway she packed him in this week for a a little snotty nosed kid round the corner with a car!

Problem's ,Problem's we,ll get over them some how!!!

ps Plumber not so angry-drink kicking in!!!!!

Old Aug 3rd 2003, 12:22 pm

kevwalt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default spelling

Brisbane,
Old Aug 3rd 2003, 12:27 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: spelling

Originally posted by kevwalt
Brisbane,
Now write it out 100 times naughty boy :lecture:
I hate posting without the aid a spell-checker
Old Aug 3rd 2003, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute
Default sorry i'm laughing

I read this thread from you all about the houses, the neck bites, the tongue piercing and the girlfriend finishing with your son, and I am really sorry, but I had a great laugh. I have just read it out to my husband.
I am just so pleased that I am not the only one that is going crackers with one thing or another. Will any of us be sane when we get to Oz?
On a serious side, it really is about time that when someone says that they will have the house then they should be bound to it like Scotland and Australia.
I have an Auntie who goes round looking at houses at the weekend, who has no intention of buying, but goes to get ideas on how to decorate the house. That shouldn't be allowed either. They do not realise how much stress goes into selling a house, and having to live somewhere for however long with a hoover in one hand, and a broom stuck up your a**e, just incase someone should want to look at it at the drop of a hat.
My husband has found some damp in and around the skirting board in my daughters bedroom this morning, and has just said that when and if we get a buyer, he is going to get my poor 11 year old to lie in bed, and we will tell the surveyor that she is ill so that he doesn't spend too long in her room. Can you believe it!!!
I really do hope that things get better for you all, and lets hope that we all get buyers before we are all carted off to the loony bin. Until then, keep the posts coming, it really helps others that are going through the same or similar problems.

Whisky
Old Aug 3rd 2003, 4:23 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Hard luck, Plumber, I feel for you (took me about 20 months or more to sell my flat in Bristol! Plus loads of legal aggro and costs.) In the end I moved things on smartish by taking a much more realistic view of how much it was worth (about -10% versus what the most optimistic hopes were from estate agents. Completed very quickly after that. (Did it privately too, so sod the commission!)
Old Aug 3rd 2003, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

desmund is an unknown quantity at this point

know how you feel about going grey, thought we had it all made, lovely house great location, small morgage, looking to make a tidy profit, just had notification, they are about to erect a 90foot, yes 90 foot mobile phone mast just 200 yards from where we live, sods law, that what you get from feeling smug!!

arlene and desmund
Old Aug 3rd 2003, 5:11 pm

Originally posted by desmund
know how you feel about going grey, thought we had it all made, lovely house great location, small morgage, looking to make a tidy profit, just had notification, they are about to erect a 90foot, yes 90 foot mobile phone mast just 200 yards from where we live, sods law, that what you get from feeling smug!!

arlene and desmund
Think positive the estate agents will probably use it as a selling point. I can see it now excellent property with superb mobile phone reception throughout all rooms
Old Aug 3rd 2003, 5:16 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like a case for Captain Grinder!
Old Aug 3rd 2003, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all
Default Re: Selling houses send's you grey not children!

must agree with you about the stress. alan and i were assured our bungalow would sell quickly being sought after in the area so we did'nt worry beforehand. a loft conversion built by al to get us more money and all the little jobs done we agreed to put on the market and have an open day (back at the end of may) so the agent could show people round and we went out - great. had two verbal offers immediately, one £5k OVER the asking price. (it all seemed so easy back then!!)
you can guess the rest, the high offer had dropped out within the week - it suddenly became too small for them. the second couple were going ahead, they managed to wangle half our furniture as part of the deal! we went off happily to portugal for a week mid june and came home on the saturday evening to find our place in the property news, so realised it had fallen through for some reason.
by the way, our flights are booked for sept 21st, alan has to validate spouse visa, we thought we'd be well sold by then.
to be fait the couple who dropped out phoned us and apologised but it was for their son who had been given a contract abroad for a year so they did'nt need a house yet.
so, four weeks down the line we started again, you all know the feeling what with the keeping tidy, viewers not turning up, doorbell ringing in middle of dinnertime etc... just what we supposedly avoiding with the initial open day.
nothing much happened for a couple of weeks then a couple fell in love with the place but they had'nt even put theirs up for sale. and so it goes on.... because of that we kept advertising and an old boy of 82 and his companion - a jamaican nurse wanted it - for cash!! and they would also keep the cats!!!! what could be better!!! we settled on a price £3k under asking price and the day their funds had been confirmed in place, the same evening other couple rang to say they'd sold to a cash buyer but could we come down in price a bit. we told them the same price as the others and left the agent to inform the unlucky couple. al and i decided on the old man because no chain. then all hell let loose! we had a very angry call from the others, then calm for couple of days. on friday agent rang to say couple increased offer to original price and their sale definitely ready to go. we liked these people, in fact their daughter was married to one of our friends so accepted. then the old man offered the same, the £500 more.......
we hope we have made the right decision to stay with the married couple, in the meantime i have to find a home for my two cats, theres no way i'd take them to oz, think the journey would completely freak them out, they are very skittish.
so...... keeping everything crossed, even though we know completion will probably happen after we've gone.
we have not had a good nights sleep for a week and wish the next two months would just disappear!!!
good luck to you all
karen
Old Aug 3rd 2003, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Hope everything goes okay Karen. It makes you wonder why we ever buy a house really doesn't it?
Hope you can get it all through in time for September.

I have come to the conclusion that we must live within the Bermuday triangle, and only the odd few get to even come anywhere near our place.

Whisky