Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Selling Houses On Internet

Selling Houses On Internet

Old Apr 20th 2004, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

jwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura about
Default Selling Houses On Internet

Has anyone in the UK tried selling there house privately on the Internet/Papers ? and was it very successful ?

All the estate Agents are quoting us between £5K - £5K plus VAT which seems a hell of a lot of money for the amount of work they ever do.

Has anyone tried D. I. Y.

Jacquie
Old Apr 21st 2004, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

Yes we did it ourselves! Hubby found some wood in the garage, printed off some "for sale" details and put our own homemade sign out the front. I printed a sales leaflet to hand out to viewers. Within an hour of the sign going up, we had a phonecall. We had another call that evening. We came home from shopping the next day to find people peeping through our lounge window. There was a steady stream of interested people, we couldn't believe it! The only thing that worried me was that people wanted to come in straight off the street to have a look and during the day I was by myself, so I think "viewing by prior appointment only" is something to consider adding to your sign, you can also get their name and address details then. We certainly had a very neat and tidy house for several weeks, as we never knew when we might have to show someone around.

When we had a garage sale, me and the kids were busy serving people (and boy there were a lot of bargain-hunters!) while hubby showed yet more people around the house. We also gave out plenty of sales leaflets. We sold the house just a few weeks after putting the sign up. I never needed to send an ad into the paper even. I don't know if we just picked a good time to sell or what. We lived on a street near to a local primary school so there was a lot of through traffic, that must have helped. The people who bought our house were in fact driving past to go and look at another house in the area which was being sold by estate agents.

Needless to say, we were extremely pleased with the DIY method and will avoid using estate agents next time round too if we can.
Old Apr 21st 2004, 9:42 am
ABCDiamond

Just to add my 2p's worth.

The last 2 houses we bought were the result of a "For Sale" sign outside the house. They were with Agents, but even if they were private sale, it would have made no difference.

If the location is good, and it is well advertised to passing traffic, a private sale should sell just aswell as an agents sale.

The trick is getting the right price. Get 2 or 3 agents to give you an idea of what they would sell it for, and then you have your price guide