British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Selling houses in Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/selling-houses-australia-894749/)

Buzzy--Bee Mar 31st 2017 8:42 am

Selling houses in Australia

I went to an auction of a house round the corner from us to be nosy. Unusually, it was held on a Thursday evening.

I went through the front door of the house and it was like being at the best house party ever. The auctioneers had put on beer, wine, food, a live duo singing elevator music, the works. There were about 300 people there, about half of whom I knew. We were quite sad when it was time to start the bidding and end the party.

The whole gig must have cost the agents about $2000 tops, but as a way to demonstrate to potential purchasers what a friendly neighbourhood we live in, it was priceless.

Beoz Mar 31st 2017 9:44 pm

Re: Selling houses in Australia

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 12217976)
I went to an auction of a house round the corner from us to be nosy. Unusually, it was held on a Thursday evening.

I went through the front door of the house and it was like being at the best house party ever. The auctioneers had put on beer, wine, food, a live duo singing elevator music, the works. There were about 300 people there, about half of whom I knew. We were quite sad when it was time to start the bidding and end the party.

The whole gig must have cost the agents about $2000 tops, but as a way to demonstrate to potential purchasers what a friendly neighbourhood we live in, it was priceless.

Get the punters drunk, they tend to extend their upper limit and become more competitive.

spouse of scouse Mar 31st 2017 10:16 pm

If you did your research Buzzy, you could wine and dine every night for free :lol:

Clever marketing/selling strategy by the agent.

moneypenny20 Apr 4th 2017 11:43 am

Did it work though?

astera Apr 5th 2017 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 12221123)
Did it work though?

Good question.

What a great and unique idea though - never seen anything of the sort on those Aussie tv shows showing home makeovers/auctions/etc.! :)

P.S. Did you post a short video on youtube from the party?

moneypenny20 Apr 5th 2017 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by astera (Post 12222333)
Good question.

What a great and unique idea though - never seen anything of the sort on those Aussie tv shows showing home makeovers/auctions/etc.! :)

P.S. Did you post a short video on youtube from the party?

I'd be a bit twitchy about having that many people in my home. A fair chance of having something nicked or damaged I'd have thought. I don't even like the idea of having open house days. Maybe I'm just a bit paranoid. :lol:

Beoz Apr 6th 2017 12:24 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 12222640)
I'd be a bit twitchy about having that many people in my home. A fair chance of having something nicked or damaged I'd have thought. I don't even like the idea of having open house days. Maybe I'm just a bit paranoid. :lol:

If it gives you an extra 100,000 on your house sale, steal all you want.

moneypenny20 Apr 6th 2017 12:40 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12222651)
If it gives you an extra 100,000 on your house sale, steal all you want.

You may have a point! :lol: However if it doesn't sell and someone's taken Aunt Matilda's pearl necklace you'd be pissed.

Beoz Apr 6th 2017 4:13 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 12222659)
You may have a point! :lol: However if it doesn't sell and someone's taken Aunt Matilda's pearl necklace you'd be pissed.

That's disgusting

moneypenny20 Apr 6th 2017 4:19 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12222731)
That's disgusting

:rofl: That is not what I meant!:lol:

spouse of scouse Apr 6th 2017 5:05 am

Beoz wins BE today :rofl:

al dente Apr 16th 2017 5:48 am

What happened at the actual auction? Did the ploy work? (sounds like a fun neighbourhood!)