Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Selling a house and want to rant.

Selling a house and want to rant.

Old Feb 10th 2010, 5:19 am
Forum Regular

sunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant future
Default Selling a house and want to rant.

Hello, we currently have our house up for sale and the market is pretty slow where we live.
What I want to rant about is the people that have come through our opens.
The daft things they say, like: " I want a 6car garage" when it states that it is a double garage and "i don't need 5 bedrooms" when it states that it is a 5 bed house. " don't like the street" when they have obviousley driven up it to get here. " I don't like the 2 storey house next door" when it is there to be seen at the front of the house. ''I don't like the position of the house".

Then after 2 or 3 times of people coming back, they come up with the most supidist offer $50 grand below, which of course is turned down. Then they offer a bit more and is turned down again and then they say they can't afford anymore. Why of why does these people look at houses beyond their budget? We knew what we could afford and looked at houses in that range. This has happened on 2 occassions now and is so infuriating.
The estate agent is trying to get us to accept any offer now because she is close to the end of her contract. We keep stating that offers will only be accepted in the price range and not to even phone us with anymore silly offers.
We really want to move now but not enough to give our house away, so that the stupid agent can get her fat fee.

Sorry,rant over, just thought I would let you know that selling your house in australia isn't easier than the UK, especially when the market has now slowed down a lot in adelaide.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling a house and want to rant.

Perhaps your asking price (acceptable range) is above the value of the property. A house is only worth what is paid for it, not what is asked for it. If the market has slowed down, then the values of property probably have as well.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 6:00 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We used to live in a second floor flat (in the UK) which only had stairs. When we were selling it, the agents sent an elderly lady round who got to the front door and had to sit and get her breath back and let her legs recover. She'd not long come out of hospital for breathing problems and had asked the agent to only send her to ground floor flats.

She said she felt she needed to get to us to explain why she wouldn't be buying our flat I'd rather she'd not bothered, we were worried sick she was going to drop dead on us Not had the 'pleasure of selling here yet, I look forward to it!

Hope you find a seller soon
Old Feb 10th 2010, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sunnyj,

Take the 'stupid' offer and get out while you can.

Only mugs pay the asking price, and if the only offers you're getting are 50k below your asking price, then it's a pretty good indication that your asking price is $50k above it's true market value.

The excuses from prospective purchasers of the house being in a bad street, next door to a larger house etc, are just euphemisms for "How much ??? you must be joking !!! )

Bite the bullet and drop the price................ Do it, deal with it and move on.........much easier in the long run

Originally Posted by sunnyj
Hello, we currently have our house up for sale and the market is pretty slow where we live.
What I want to rant about is the people that have come through our opens.
The daft things they say, like: " I want a 6car garage" when it states that it is a double garage and "i don't need 5 bedrooms" when it states that it is a 5 bed house. " don't like the street" when they have obviousley driven up it to get here. " I don't like the 2 storey house next door" when it is there to be seen at the front of the house. ''I don't like the position of the house".

Then after 2 or 3 times of people coming back, they come up with the most supidist offer $50 grand below, which of course is turned down. Then they offer a bit more and is turned down again and then they say they can't afford anymore. Why of why does these people look at houses beyond their budget? We knew what we could afford and looked at houses in that range. This has happened on 2 occassions now and is so infuriating.
The estate agent is trying to get us to accept any offer now because she is close to the end of her contract. We keep stating that offers will only be accepted in the price range and not to even phone us with anymore silly offers.
We really want to move now but not enough to give our house away, so that the stupid agent can get her fat fee.

Sorry,rant over, just thought I would let you know that selling your house in australia isn't easier than the UK, especially when the market has now slowed down a lot in adelaide.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 7:24 am
Account Closed

No 15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hino
Hi Sunnyj,

Take the 'stupid' offer and get out while you can.

Only mugs pay the asking price, and if the only offers you're getting are 50k below your asking price, then it's a pretty good indication that your asking price is $50k above it's true market value.

The excuses from prospective purchasers of the house being in a bad street, next door to a larger house etc, are just euphemisms for "How much ??? you must be joking !!! )

Bite the bullet and drop the price................ Do it, deal with it and move on.........much easier in the long run
Totally agree
Old Feb 10th 2010, 7:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

The first home I owned was a one bedroom flat in Wlimbledon. When I was selling it, the estate agents sent around a family to view! They turned it down because not enough space for children. Doh.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 9:39 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Perhaps your asking price (acceptable range) is above the value of the property. A house is only worth what is paid for it, not what is asked for it. If the market has slowed down, then the values of property probably have as well.
Agree
Old Feb 10th 2010, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

sunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant future

It's not a bad street that I live in, it's just that 1 person didn't like it. My point was why look at a house in a street that you are not keen on. Houses in our area are taking longer to sell but they are selling and people are getting more or less what they want for it.
If it was on the market in the 600's plus 50 grand could be justified.
You people who tell me to sell at way below cost obviously are that well off that 50 grand is nothing to you. Of course I would have sold it at 1st open if I had put it on for that price. Even the estate agent said she would have snapped it up. It just amazes me that people really come up with some daft reasons, when you could quite easily see these things by driving past the house.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 8:44 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

To be honest I don't consider a lot of the comments you mentioned to be daft. If you're house searching in an area you don't know well you then there's a good chance the people are seeing the street for the first time.

Obviously some people do drive by the place first to check it out, but I suspect lots of people see houses on the internet and then go have a look at them. We've bought two houses so far now and not once did I drive by all of them first. Mostly I just stick to things that are within budget or maybe just barely above and see things that look nice on the listings. If it happens to have a crap street, no parking, etc, it's something you find out when you get there.

If you take the time to arrange a booking with an agent you're not just going to drive up to it and refuse to check out the inside.

The other comments are a bit silly but I can understand the reasons some people might have when they say them.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

We have had open inspections every time. A simple drive by could have given them a view of position of house, what the street looks like, a 2 storey house next door etc.
The house is in a good price range. There are some even more expensive than ours and are only a 3 bed and don't look any more special than ours.
I think we just have to sit back and wait, we have already dropped the price. People are obviously taking their time to make a decision. Gone are the days when the houses used to "fly off the shelves" at the first open, I admit that.
We will just sit tight for a while.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 12:26 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

We have had open inspections every time. A simple drive by could have given them a view of position of house, what the street looks like, a 2 storey house next door etc.
Yes agreed. But if it's an open inspection anyway then they might as well stop in and have a look. Honestly, the more people that look at your house the better. Perhaps someone might not be thrilled with the street but will love the inside. You won't know unless you get them in the door. By your theory people shouldn't bother coming inside unless they like the outside. To me the more important bit of the house is the part I actually spend time in (ie. the inside). So I could overlook parts of the outside if the inside was what I wanted.

The whole point of open inspections are to get lots of people through the door who might not otherwise book an appointment to view. Perhaps if you don't like the people they are attracting you could do away with the open houses.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

You people who tell me to sell at way below cost obviously are that well off that 50 grand is nothing to you.
Or alternatively, $50,000 means a huge lot to us and we're fed up with current owners wanting to sell "at a profit" or at a certain price just because 6-12 months ago similar houses went at those prices, when the current actual value of the house isn't the same.

Selling a house for more than you bought it for, or at a certain level of profit is not a right or certainty - the expectation should be to sell it at the real value, not the value perceived by the owner. If you're selling at a loss, deal with it - it's the current value of the house.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 1:40 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Or alternatively, $50,000 means a huge lot to us and we're fed up with current owners wanting to sell "at a profit" or at a certain price just because 6-12 months ago similar houses went at those prices, when the current actual value of the house isn't the same.

Selling a house for more than you bought it for, or at a certain level of profit is not a right or certainty - the expectation should be to sell it at the real value, not the value perceived by the owner. If you're selling at a loss, deal with it - it's the current value of the house.
However, if it is literally "below cost" i.e. $50k below what they paid for it then I wouldn't be selling either, unless I absolutely HAD to sell.

For me to sell my house I'd only do it if I sold it for what I paid, plus the $40k stamp duty I paid plus whatever the estate agent charges are - or more, natch. Otherwise I'm staying put. Fortunately I don't have to sell at the moment.

If it's $50k below what the OP "thought" it was worth and would still be up - then all I can say is "Suck it up princess"

Last edited by renth; Feb 11th 2010 at 1:42 am.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 1:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hino
Hi Sunnyj,

So true.... or I would buy and compromise at the right price. IE they are buying on price and stretching.

When the market does slow the traditional selling house owner actually becomes a buyer of money.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Feb 11th 2010 at 1:45 am.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

Just a little remark.

Looks like a lot of comments re real estate situation in UK.

As far as I understand the OP is selling a house in Adelaide in Oz where prices have not dropped over last year or so, just the opposite.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.