Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Selling the House - nightmare or not?

Selling the House - nightmare or not?

Old Jan 21st 2004, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Barron Fam
We have sorted ,decluttered ,coffee pot ,bread baking kids out !!the whole thing but the village next to ours is having an estate built so the new homes are more appealing at the moment but fingers crossed,just so frustrating

SAlly B

The best advice I can give anyone, is to make yourselves scarce when the viewers come, leave it to the agent to show them around.....it's what you pay them for and they're more likely to give him feedback there and then if you aren't around to overhear.
Old Jan 21st 2004, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

ace ventura is an unknown quantity at this point

Ours has been on the market since july , two sales fallen thru , first estate agents let this couple offer with no finance in place .second ones brought us up to signing of contracts ............. and never said a word to anybody and withdrew but the market is busy where i am i'm just glad i put the house up when i did , so no rush just yet

Ace
Old Jan 21st 2004, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

We're supposed to be signing contracts 'any day now' but then we were in the same situation for most of December. Same buyers, different attached chain.

As we haven't got the visas yet we're planning on moving into a holiday cottage for a few weeks to fill the gap. Rentals are mostly unfurnished round here and holiday lets (everything provided) are easy in Feb. What's more the rent isn't much more than an unfurnished flat and you don't need to go through all that providing references bit. My mum and dad lived in a holiday cottage for several months when they decamped.

The main problem with the waiting is having to keep everything in place in case we have to go back on the market. No getting rid of the lawn mower or all the plants in the conservatory or emptying the loft.....
And things keep breaking - a wall lamp then a loo handle, then a roof tile, then we needed a plumber and now we're running out of heating oil.

Old Jan 21st 2004, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

cruisey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rossi
The best advice I can give anyone, is to make yourselves scarce when the viewers come, leave it to the agent to show them around.....it's what you pay them for and they're more likely to give him feedback there and then if you aren't around to overhear.
That's good advice, we had a lot more success once we let the Agent show people around, people must have trusted them more for some reason. Make sure the agent is ok though, we had one agent (old bag) that was dreadful towards 'younger' couples, just glad we switched agents!

Sounds like the house selling bit is the most stressful part of emigrating from these posts!!!! Fingers crossed we all sell.....
Old Jan 21st 2004, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

UK system sounds a complete pain, the OZ one is without a doubt much easier, bearing in mind tho, you usually have to be prepared to move out within 30 days so renting between houses is common here.

One thing I would say tho having seen heaps of houses in the UK in December. Crap and clutter put us off of so many houses. It makes them look cheap and often dirty. We had to envisage removing everything and making it clean with new paint and carpets etc. That of course = money so we were automatically deducting this in our heads from the asking price.

How people can live with so much rubbish is beyond me. Get rid of it, your selling a house not a pile of rubbish. Oh and multi coloured rooms, what is worse in a house than every room different colours/carpet/wallpaper. Scary decor over there.
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

cruisey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dotty
UK system sounds a complete pain, the OZ one is without a doubt much easier, bearing in mind tho, you usually have to be prepared to move out within 30 days so renting between houses is common here.

One thing I would say tho having seen heaps of houses in the UK in December. Crap and clutter put us off of so many houses. It makes them look cheap and often dirty. We had to envisage removing everything and making it clean with new paint and carpets etc. That of course = money so we were automatically deducting this in our heads from the asking price.

How people can live with so much rubbish is beyond me. Get rid of it, your selling a house not a pile of rubbish. Oh and multi coloured rooms, what is worse in a house than every room different colours/carpet/wallpaper. Scary decor over there.
It's true, loads of houses are full of clutter. Even though we are 'clutter free' we still cleared most of the house to present it better. Even stuck unused cabinets and a spare sofa in the garage, it's amazing the difference it makes.

I have to say, even though it took us 4 months to get our only offer, that was the EASY bit. Going through the actual selling bit is the most frustrating thing I can remember....

Last edited by cruisey; Jan 22nd 2004 at 9:37 am.
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 10:53 am
Adelaide here we come

kittenlips is an unknown quantity at this point

Our house has only been on the market 2 weeks and I'm already getting stressed out about it! To top it all the house 2 doors down from us has gone up for sale for £17,000 less than ours!

Bloody bloody typical! I know ours is not over valued and that we have 1 or 2 things extra than theirs, but £17,000 that just taking the p---! I can't understand why it's so cheap, but whatever the reason it makes ours look ridiculously overpriced!
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

Location: From Oxfordshire, to the Out Laws in Bucks, to Cleveland in Brisbane
josiejo1974 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

We have had our's up for sale since June, have had a total of 10 viewings now, 6 of which have been in the last 3 weeks. 2 of them wanted to do a second viewing, which has failed to materialise, 1 wanted to make an offer, who hasn't sold her property or physically made an offer and even more irritating is the stupid couple who were gushing over everything, stayed in my house for over an hour!! sat on MY furniture and then never fed back to the Estate Agents... Grrr makes my blood boil.

Anyroad, the hosue is still up for sale and we are waiting for those lovely serial viewers to come knocking on our door.

Jo
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 12:48 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of
Default Re: Selling the House - nightmare or not?

Originally posted by cruisey
Is it just me, or is the house selling process a complete and utter nightmare?

We accepted an offer on our house at the begining of October and were still here!!! Our buyers are a pain, it's been "oh, we're waiting for this.......we haven't got that.......we've got this problem". It's just endless.

We've been expecting to exchange contracts "in a matter of days now" but the weeks just keep slipping by. We're losing confidence in the whole thing, but our solicitor says this is all normal.

Is this par for the course, or just me???

Mr. Grumpy
We are in the same boat but in reverse. We have nowhere to sell, have the money ready and are keen to move. The sellers though are taking their time to find somewhere and are really starting to irritate. When it came to us making offers to them, they were adamant that the housing market is so buouyant that they would not go down much. Now they have secured our offer we are regularly updated on their progress - they keep on making rediculously low offers for places and unsurprisingly getting knocked back. A case of wanting their cake and eating it I think. I'll give them a few more weeks and then will walk away and find someone else who wants a chain free buyer!
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 1:11 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

You can come an buy my house if you like!!!! 4 Beds....nice area..... Go on!!! you know you want to!!!
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

Close to just giving ours away!
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

I'm not looking forward to this bit at all. Never sold a house before. I know it took us over 3mths of aggro to buy this one. Do you guys reckon its more stressful being the buyer or the seller ??

If I plan to leave for Oz in September, when do you think I should put the house on the market? I live in Central London. Do you think May is too late?
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by sjn2003
I'm not looking forward to this bit at all. Never sold a house before. I know it took us over 3mths of aggro to buy this one. Do you guys reckon its more stressful being the buyer or the seller ??

If I plan to leave for Oz in September, when do you think I should put the house on the market? I live in Central London. Do you think May is too late?

Selling definitely! I'd stick it on now, seems like there's a slump for us southerners...
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 1:21 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

We gave up trying to sell ours - not that people didn;t want it, they did but then came all the problems..... - so we are renting - mind you that has bought us a whole new set of things to sort out.

Hey ho.
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by josiejo1974
Selling definitely! I'd stick it on now, seems like there's a slump for us southerners...

Hmmmm. Thought you would say that!

And its still raining outside. I'm really fed up now

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.