Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Selling House before Visa arrives

Selling House before Visa arrives

Old Sep 24th 2007, 10:03 am
Jelly-Belly, tbh

FluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Selling House before Visa arrives

I know quite a lot of people sell their houses before they get their Visas. I just wondered if people might be able to share their personal experiences of this, the pros and cons etc yadda yadda.

I'm pro-selling because I personally don't see any reason for our 175 MODL to be refused - we're both young and healthy so I'm sure we'll whizz through our meds and our history is completely clean. What grounds could they possibly refuse us on..?

My husband is very anti-selling because he's Mr Safety and doesn't want the hassle of trying to get back on the housing ladder if our 175 is refused - this in complete contrast to me not wanting the hassle if our 175 is accepted!!!

I'm concerned that it will take 6 months or so to get the Visa and if it does then we'd only need 2 or 3 sales to fall through and then we'll be out of time. He doesn't see this.

I'm not asking people to support my choice, I'd just like to be able to see things from both sides with a few more opinions and experiences.

Hope you can help.
Old Sep 24th 2007, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Selling House before Visa arrives

could compromise and say put on the market in 3 months that way theres no real risk of being homeless and you get a 3 months head start

Martin
Old Sep 24th 2007, 10:20 am
Account Closed

Up To Late is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Our house is on the market at the moment even though we don't have the visa! We have estimated if all goes well, we should have the visa by March. We hope to be in Oz by July. We put the house on the market in June this year. We accepted one offer which fell through in July and are now struggling with a dying market. However, we are not panicking yet! We know that we have a good amount of time to sell. If we sell early, we will go into rented and actually save about £1K per month in various ways - which will all go toward the Ozzie fund. We are willing to take the risk of selling and not getting the visa because of various personal issues we have with the house and we have priced the house so that we make a bit of a profit. As the visa process goes on and becomes more and more certain we will reduce the price of the house to make it more and more easy to sell.

Hope our experience helps. However, only you can judge what is the right thing for you.
Old Sep 24th 2007, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

ozdreamer will become famous soon enoughozdreamer will become famous soon enough

Hi, we decided after a lot of discussions to put our house on the market last week eventhough we haven't got the visa yet. (submitted May, meds sent beginning of Aug)
We always said we wouldn't take the risk but have decided that if we don't put it on the market it would be unlikely that we would be able to go to Oz when we want in Feb/March 08.

Even though the house is on the market we probably won't sign to sell until we have the visa. It has at least given us something else to concentrate on while we are waiting
Old Sep 24th 2007, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

turkey12903 is a jewel in the roughturkey12903 is a jewel in the roughturkey12903 is a jewel in the roughturkey12903 is a jewel in the rough

we went for the cmpromise of putting on on the market 3months after submitting,as don't want the risk of losing our home,
unfortunatly we are now caught up in the backlog affecting lcu,and the co's.(see our timeline)
we are due to exchange contracts in a week's time,ship contents,book flights and acc.
we are worried sick that we will never get this visa which we now obsessivly check for every morning,
and that we will loose the home that we love

but like another poster's already said,it's a dying market,our buyers offered full asking price,and there are penty of people who have their visa but are struggling to sell.
good luck with your decision

karen
Old Sep 24th 2007, 11:28 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

We're doing the bit in the middle option,
Planning on putting the house on the market just before Christmas and meds around that time too. Unless they request them sooner.
We've sent for PCC's last week and are eagerly awaiting them!

Ali x
Old Sep 24th 2007, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

lcys2460 will become famous soon enoughlcys2460 will become famous soon enough

We decided after much talking to put ours on the market, got a buyer in days and exchange contracts within next 10 days.
We thought we'd go for it for many reasons: HIP's thing, thought with interest rate going up market might decline, the thought of not being able sell our house with a visa in our hands! but our fixed mortgage period ended and it costs us an extra £350+ a month! That was the final decision!
Old Sep 24th 2007, 1:44 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Our house went on the market around the time we had our meds done, as I figured if you get asked for the meds they have already ok'd your application in principal. The house sold before our visa arrived and we bought a caravan and went and sat on a site for 3 months, felt like being on permanent holiday, the furniture etc was in storage at the shippers.
We had to do it that way though as we had the 100k bond to find and the only way to get it was to sell up.
It worked for us, but we figured if it all fell through we could do with a house move anyhow after feeling so out of it staying at home with the application going through, we felt as if we just wanted out and hated the sight of the house in the end!
Jenny
Old Sep 24th 2007, 2:15 pm
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffieFaerie
I know quite a lot of people sell their houses before they get their Visas. I just wondered if people might be able to share their personal experiences of this, the pros and cons etc yadda yadda.

I'm pro-selling because I personally don't see any reason for our 175 MODL to be refused - we're both young and healthy so I'm sure we'll whizz through our meds and our history is completely clean. What grounds could they possibly refuse us on..?

My husband is very anti-selling because he's Mr Safety and doesn't want the hassle of trying to get back on the housing ladder if our 175 is refused - this in complete contrast to me not wanting the hassle if our 175 is accepted!!!

I'm concerned that it will take 6 months or so to get the Visa and if it does then we'd only need 2 or 3 sales to fall through and then we'll be out of time. He doesn't see this.

I'm not asking people to support my choice, I'd just like to be able to see things from both sides with a few more opinions and experiences.

Hope you can help.

hi

i am like you in your way of thinking and hubby was exactly like yours in his

but if you were to ask my hubby now he would say to put it on the market now as we have had our visas for almost 18 months and had the house on the market for almost 18 months and we are still waiting to sell.

the market is very slow at the moment i would hate for you to be in our position of wanting to go but cant

jan xx
Old Sep 24th 2007, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

Cooper Clan is on a distinguished road

Hi

We put our house on the market when we submitted the visa application.

We are now about to complete on the 5th october
also leave our jobs on the 5th and aim to fly out on 17th - or there abouts.

We decided that once the visa comes thru we didn't want to hang around which at the time seemed great but in reality the 'stress' of the visa/meds/processing etc plus the house sale with crappy solicitors and leaving work and moving in with the inlaws is pretty high

However, after saying all that we are all very excited at the prospect of being in Oz in less than 4 weeks time.

Goodluck with whatever you decide,
Old Sep 24th 2007, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Becky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to all

Applying for Vetassess on 1st Oct (goes online for hubbys occupation then)

I am in process of decorating house at moment and as soon as I'm finished we'll get in on the market.

Our fixed rate mortgage finishes in Jan, can't sign upto a new one.
If house sells before visa which I'm hoping it will then we'll rent.

If we don't get the visa's then we are gonna go travelling for a while and then see what options present themselves.