Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

selling the house

selling the house

Old Jan 21st 2004, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

Hazel T has a brilliant futureHazel T has a brilliant futureHazel T has a brilliant futureHazel T has a brilliant futureHazel T has a brilliant futureHazel T has a brilliant futureHazel T has a brilliant future
Default selling the house

Can anybody give me guide lines on roughly when to put the house up for sale,visa only just gone off and credit card charged so they must have recived it, we are guessing a year for visa to come through but everything is so uncertain as what if it comes earlier and we have not put house up for sale!!! Have read lots of storeis where peoples house sales have fell through! What would you suggest????
Old Jan 21st 2004, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you put it up for sale and sell before visa arrives then just rent till you are ready to go.

Or you could wait till the visa arrives then try selling. We did this and it has taken a very long time to get sold etc.

I would have gone for the first option, but at the end of the day it is up to you. Go with what you think is the best.
Good luck

boobo
Old Jan 21st 2004, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

gwrees is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by booboo
If you put it up for sale and sell before visa arrives then just rent till you are ready to go.

Or you could wait till the visa arrives then try selling. We did this and it has taken a very long time to get sold etc.

I would have gone for the first option, but at the end of the day it is up to you. Go with what you think is the best.
Good luck

boobo

We've just sold ours, moving out on the 31st to rented accomodation. We applied, skilled independant in August 2003, so were probably less than half way through. But, we've no ties now, months notice for the landlord and thats it, ship everything out and go, plus the money on the sale will make a bit of interest before we go. Its a risk but, it will be worth it in the end..........I hope!
Old Jan 21st 2004, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

neal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default When to sell

We sold our house only 4 months after sending application off but we always felt that it was unlikely it would take the 12-18 months to process(as our agent said).Sure enough we sent off meds etc (as requested) beginning november and if we hadn't had complication with hubby's ex-wife we would have had our visas by xmas.Total processing time 7 months.We were advised not to sell the house by our agent but I think you have to judge it on your own set of circumstances-we're both on the "jobs in demand" list with no medical/police problems so we couldn't really see that we were taking a risk.We find our agent is very bleak with regards to time-spans etc. probably to cover their own backs.Mrs.Neal