British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Selling the House (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/selling-house-109364/)

tipper Jul 11th 2002 11:11 pm

Re: Selling the House

just think get ride of the m-i-l and why not the trouble and striff as well (sheila) to you aussies !
whats the name of your girl friend sheila.
whats your fav colour blue.
yours tipper ire.

pott Jul 12th 2002 12:01 am

Sorry to break up the flow guys

In response to the orginal question, we will be waiting till we get the request for police checks and medicals then putting the house on the market.

Had the place valued and the bloke said to put it on about 3/4 months before you go.

We need to sell before we go as we can't even afford the flights - a bit sad hay! but I would not think there would be a problem leaving everything up to the solicitor and estate agent to sort out.
Although don't personally know anyone who has done this.

O.k you can carry on folks.

newstartnz Jul 12th 2002 10:27 am

OK Pott, let's get back on to the Mother In Law.

Going to NZ is going to make it all much, much worse. My wife and her mother are quite close and the old dear is getting on a bit now: end result, she comes to visit us about once a week. I can usually sneak off somewhere else to do a bit of gardening or grab a swift one down the pub, but it still means I get to see her for an hour or so most weeks. Let's say, including Xmas and a few meals together, at least 100 hours a year. Which in my opinion is on the high side vs my preference.

In NZ, the deal I have with my wife is that it will be cheaper for us to buy the old dear a return ticket once a year rather than my wife go to see her with kids in tow. That means she'll come and stay for 6 weeks at a time. That's about 1000 hours!

Looks like I've lost again and the women have won. Why does it always work out that way?

All the best

kango_jack Jul 12th 2002 10:41 am

Hi all
We plan to sell the house as soon as we have finished the last few bits and pieces to the house (the 'House Doctor' has a lot to answer for!!!).
We haven't our PRs yet but our medicals and police checks were sent a month ago and the letter said around 3 months so hopefully the timing will work. We all plan to move into Annies mum and dads until we go, it will be a squeze so hope it isn't for too long....
As with most of you we want to take advantage of the housing market at the moment, and looking at what is happening to the Aus $ it could be good timing.
All the best
Paul, Annie & Jack

Finch Jul 12th 2002 10:43 am

A bit like eating your greens or brussel sprouts though. I used to pinch my nose a do them in one go, rather than ruining the whole meal by spreading them out. Much better that way.

Finch

baldbutts Jul 12th 2002 4:44 pm

do they have Brussel sprouts in Oz,or haven't they heard of Brussels.

Sandra Jul 14th 2002 3:03 pm

My Mother In Law is the best!
Cannot speak for husbands view!

Back to the point on house selling - we got the final bit (buyer, contracts etcs) and I bottled. Still have house in UK, we are here in Aus on 457s waiting for PR (long boring story for this thread).

Anyway we did not fancy the flights (costs!) back for when we might sell and organised power of attorney for the great MIL and my sister, they are also handling bank accounts etc. Solititors costs for the power of attorney (very simple forms) for possible house sale was approx 50 pounds. Also bank NatWest, MIL now has full cheque writing authority etc, believe me I agree the trust has to be there but the process is simple enough.

Cheers Sandra

Snickers Jul 16th 2002 4:33 am

Hi all,

Thanks for all the replies most good some got a little carried away I think but nice response.