Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Selling/getting rid of excess furniture

Selling/getting rid of excess furniture

Old Jan 19th 2010, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

jmm100uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Selling/getting rid of excess furniture

At long last my container from UK has arrived in Australia, has been cleared by the relevant government bodies and is being delivered next week. My problem is that I know that there is more stuff in there than I have space or need for - so what is the best way to get rid if it? Some of it is quite good furniture that I would rather sell than give to the Salvos or similar - they will be getting quite a lot of stuff already. Has anyone any suggestions as to the best way to go about this excercise? I have bought on e-bay but never sold -is it worth it? Any legal & sensible/reasonable suggestions welcome.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling/getting rid of excess furniture

You could try either having a garage sale or try Gumtree.Are you sure you dont need it.Think carefully before you sell it.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 2:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice

I like ebay - we used it before we left to sell the bits we werent bringing. Then we used it again over here when our container arrived, to sell the things we had been given by friends to keep us going until our stuff arrived.

Give it a try, it really is good fun. I like to check in on the items regularly and get really excited each time the bids go up. I think if you are going donate the things to charity, anyway you might as well try to sell it first, then if it only makes a dollar, its not like you've lost anything and it will probably make considerably more.

One tip I was given by someone who sells a lot on ebay is to make sure you consider the end time of your sale and try to get it to finish in the evening on a Sunday, apparently a lot of people are looking then
Old Jan 19th 2010, 4:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

I helped a mate of mine have a garage sale before he went back. I was very surprised how very nearly everything went. Stuff like furniture was sold on ebay and the buyer only paid when they turned up to collect it on the same day as the sale.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 9:37 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Try advertising in the BE classifieds......
Old Jan 19th 2010, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

jmm100uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by irishbloo
You could try either having a garage sale or try Gumtree.Are you sure you dont need it.Think carefully before you sell it.
It is more a case of not having anywhere to put it! I had to consolidate my own belongings with those that had been returned to UK from Portugal when my mother died, and having sold the house incredibly, and unexpectedly quickly, I had only 4 weeks to pack everything up to store before shipping out here so ..... not enough time to dispose of everything that was surplus and therefore far more stuff than anyone could seriously need. And, a delightful rented house but with smaller rooms to fit it all in!

Thanks for the tips about ebay - this whole adventure is one of new experiences and selling on ebay will be another one!
Old Jan 19th 2010, 11:16 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Try advertising in the BE classifieds......
I can't stand the classifieds on here. It's not organized very well and there's no way to search by area or even by country.

If I'm going to look for something it's nice to be able to just get things within say a 30 minute drive of my house, rather than having to read through items from all over the world.

It's my only complaint about B.E..... the classifieds really suck.

I'm also in a position where I need to start thinning out our household goods but I'll stick to Gumtree, the local paper or possible Ebay. I might just try an ad on here although I won't hold my breath for responses!