Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Selling cars before you go - help

Selling cars before you go - help

Old Jul 28th 2005, 5:43 am
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice
Default Re: Selling cars before you go - help

Originally Posted by andrewb
If you want to look for sales that have completed, just do an advanced search and check the completed sales button.

From another Ebay addict!!!
thanks for that...
Old Jul 28th 2005, 9:42 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewb
If you want to look for sales that have completed, just do an advanced search and check the completed sales button.

From another Ebay addict!!!
We did this last night. It confirmed that my wife's Ka Collection is priced reasonably. But it was also surprising to see how many had their value in red because they hadn't sold.

We have listed as Buy It Now (fixed price rather than auction) but have had a few silly offers plus one offering to meet us in a car park somewhere :scared: . But there are 8 watchers this morning and still 5 days to go so nil desperandum.

It goes in the local paper today too.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 11:13 am
I'm watching YOU...

thpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
We did this last night. It confirmed that my wife's Ka Collection is priced reasonably. But it was also surprising to see how many had their value in red because they hadn't sold.

We have listed as Buy It Now (fixed price rather than auction) but have had a few silly offers plus one offering to meet us in a car park somewhere :scared: . But there are 8 watchers this morning and still 5 days to go so nil desperandum.

It goes in the local paper today too.
Update: Just sold it on Ebay for full asking price!!!
Old Jul 28th 2005, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by muzza
My local BMW dealer was more than happy to take it off my hands though...these people were also interested, depending on what kind of car you have, you might want to give them a try www.iainmutch.co.uk
Just had a look at this website, looks a bit dodgy to me with only a mobile phone number and no name or address at all plus loads of averts via search engines for other places to sell your car. Have you actually had dealings with them and if you have how do they compare to local dealers, autotrader etc. when it comes to price and where are they based?
Old Jul 28th 2005, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

stiv is an unknown quantity at this point

Has nobody considered exporting their car to Oz...?

I was getting fustrated at the amount of money I was likely to lose by being forced into taking the best offer. Then a colleague naively suggested why didnt I ship it ? ...at least the steering wheel is on the right side, he said.

I smugly told him that import duties would be far too expensive & he said shouldnt I compare that to how much I was likely to lose in a forced sale...?

...he made me think so I googled it & came up with:

karman shipping

There is a calculator on there to establish ' is it worthwhile shipping your car ?' with links to valuation sites in Oz & likely sale prices in UK. It basically allows you work out on a basic spreadsheet the difference between the realistic sale price in the UK & the cost of then buying the same type car in Oz, then comparing that to shipping/duty/registration costs...to see whether it is worthwhile.

It is for me....

I have a 4 yr old Cherokee Jeep & would be lucky to get £7000 for it walking in to a dealer ...the cost of buying the same in Oz would be around £12500....all costs to get shipped, on the road & registered in Oz are roughly £3500...so in theory I'm £2000 up. So I now know I shouldnt accept anymore than £9000 for my car, as thats my break even figure.

You can also pack it to the hilt with as many of your belongings as you can (including roof box & bike racks) & that gets shipped for free...

It all depends on the type of car you have whether it makes financial sense or not, but may be worth it for some of you...?
Old Jul 28th 2005, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

muzza is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by spottydog
Just had a look at this website, looks a bit dodgy to me with only a mobile phone number and no name or address at all plus loads of averts via search engines for other places to sell your car. Have you actually had dealings with them and if you have how do they compare to local dealers, autotrader etc. when it comes to price and where are they based?
I'm not sure where they are based, the guy comes round to look at your car and make you an offer. I didn't end up selling to him, but he was polite, helpful and efficient. Price wasn't quite as good as I ended up getting from my dealer, but it was certainly a lot less hassle than advertising on Autotrader. Again, it really all depends on what kind of car you're trying to sell...
Old Aug 5th 2005, 1:40 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

Just an update on this thread and a little info..

weve had the car in autotrader and freeads for about a month.....nothing....left it for a fortnight and this week put it back in both but added words "due to emigration all offers considered" well it sold straight out of the freeads by wednesday and this morning as autotrader has come out wev'e had 6 calls already starting at 8.30 this morning...Im sure this is people feel they can make you offers and maybe get a bargain,whereas before it was more of set price. Ok weve lost a few hundred quid on it,but the cash is in the bank and the parking space is now empty....
Getting offers at least opens the bartering,which like house selling is better than no offers to start from. To fend off the losing to much money as people do start by knocking off up to a grand,just add couple of hundred in the first place..
Old Aug 5th 2005, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

beebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nice

Originally Posted by sherman989
Hi

Just spent an afternoon trailing around car dealers trying to get one to buy our two cars. Its a joke they say the market is full of cars and second hand ones are worth a bean!.
My car is only a few years old low mileage and now they are telling me they can take it reluctantly off my hands for £ 1500, it was £12000 new!.
The other car is older and worth a little more.....

What have other people done to get a decent price, we don't want to be greedy but would appreciate £4000 for two good cars.
Anyone got any ideas?, should we give ebay ago, pay Autotrader.

What have you done or are going to do??

Thank your your help!!

Mandie & Sherman
if you cannot get a decent price in the short time left can you leave it with parents to sell for you and forward the cash??
my brother did this when he left UK for Tenerife, cos he had needed to use car up to departure, me dad sold it private in the end and got a decent price

bev