Reload this Page >

Selling cars before you go - help

Selling cars before you go - help

Old Jul 26th 2005, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

sherman989 is on a distinguished road
Default Selling cars before you go - help

Hi

Just spent an afternoon trailing around car dealers trying to get one to buy our two cars. Its a joke they say the market is full of cars and second hand ones are worth a bean!.
My car is only a few years old low mileage and now they are telling me they can take it reluctantly off my hands for £ 1500, it was £12000 new!.
The other car is older and worth a little more.....

What have other people done to get a decent price, we don't want to be greedy but would appreciate £4000 for two good cars.
Anyone got any ideas?, should we give ebay ago, pay Autotrader.

What have you done or are going to do??

Thank your your help!!

Mandie & Sherman
Old Jul 26th 2005, 8:24 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling cars before you go - help

Hi - no joy with our cars either. Toyota Corolla Verso (7 seater), just over a year old and a Golf Turbo Diesel which is approx 3 years old. They have been advertised for a fortnight now at approx £500 (ono) under listed second hand value and apart from one very tentative phone call about the golf we haven't had any interest at all. Went to the Toyota dealer and was told that they have a glut of second hand cars and aren't taking any more at the moment.

Have been advertising through Autotrader and Trade It so far but time to change tactic now methinks! Quite a lot of money tied up in them so would be nice to get shot of them before we leave the country in four and a half weeks.....

And I thought it was bad enough getting a buyer for the house! :scared:

Binbird
Old Jul 26th 2005, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was Kent, UK...now Pacific Pines Gold Coast and loving it
sonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sherman989
Hi

Just spent an afternoon trailing around car dealers trying to get one to buy our two cars. Its a joke they say the market is full of cars and second hand ones are worth a bean!.
My car is only a few years old low mileage and now they are telling me they can take it reluctantly off my hands for £ 1500, it was £12000 new!.
The other car is older and worth a little more.....

What have other people done to get a decent price, we don't want to be greedy but would appreciate £4000 for two good cars.
Anyone got any ideas?, should we give ebay ago, pay Autotrader.

What have you done or are going to do??

Thank your your help!!

Mandie & Sherman
Hiya,

I know a few people have used Ebay to sell the cars. I think we will try this route. Our is 3 years old and really low mileage. I'm sure if you say you are off to Oz people will try to get a cheap deal, thinking you are desperate to sell it.

Hope you get a good price.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 8:36 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe worthwhile trying a vehicle auction. Our business used to put about a dozen vehicles through auctioneers a month. The return isnt great but you can specify a reserve (be realistic) and the vehicle should be less than 7 years old .

Most are bought by vehicle traders anyway who then mark them up accordingly.

Manheim auctions is a large firm but you can always phone them and they will usually give you a rough idea with no promises as to what they might expect to get.

Just another option
Old Jul 26th 2005, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
We used autotrader to sell ours. Didn't sell on the first advertisement so then reduced the price by £1000 (still above what any garage would offer for it) and got quite a few calls and sold it that week. It was just before xmas and not a good time to be selling cars but as you say - you just need to get rid!!
I think you just need to accept that you won't get what you want for it.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 8:57 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

And the Irony used cars cost a fortune in Oz
Old Jul 26th 2005, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
And the Irony used cars cost a fortune in Oz
yes you're right
Old Jul 26th 2005, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Quokka will become famous soon enoughQuokka will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by binbird
Hi - no joy with our cars either. Toyota Corolla Verso (7 seater), just over a year old and a Golf Turbo Diesel which is approx 3 years old. They have been advertised for a fortnight now at approx £500 (ono) under listed second hand value and apart from one very tentative phone call about the golf we haven't had any interest at all. Went to the Toyota dealer and was told that they have a glut of second hand cars and aren't taking any more at the moment.

Have been advertising through Autotrader and Trade It so far but time to change tactic now methinks! Quite a lot of money tied up in them so would be nice to get shot of them before we leave the country in four and a half weeks.....

And I thought it was bad enough getting a buyer for the house! :scared:

Binbird

Why aren't you advertising on here?
I have returned to uk for working stints and had the painful experience of trying to find a decent s/h car. Would be very interested in buying before I left. Unfortunately not going again till next year, but there must be other expats in same boat.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 12:29 am
Alive and boinging!

bal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to all

Flogged two on e-bay the week before we left. It's a bit of a nerve racking process as I set no reserve price and low starting prices to get rid. It worked OK though. The advantage of e-bay is the visibility of how much similar models sold for in the past, so with some research it's relatively easy to gauge what price you're likely to get (more so than through the car price guides, which seem completely inconsistent).
Old Jul 27th 2005, 6:08 am
Kingscliff NSW/QLD border

the plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to all

We had the same problem........Honda to sell last minute......all the garages wanted to rip us off .......in the end sold it on ebay for quite a bit more .....well worth it....

When you get to oz , you'll find second hand cars hold there value.....better off buying new....All jap cars are alot cheaper than uk....we brought a nissan patrol 5 dr , automatic , 3ltr turbo diesel , alloys , bull bar, tow bar etc....list price $60,000..... haggled it down to $48,000.on the road...... dealer left crying , breaking pencils.

all the best plum...

PS.... still hoping to get my pigging frame delivered.....
Old Jul 27th 2005, 6:13 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Sold our clio through the Auto trader website. Got lots of responses, and we got a pretty good price for it.

Was 2 years old, 18k miles, bought new for 10.5k, sold it for 6800. That was 2 years ago.

Just discovered my keyboard doesn't have a pound sign on it!!!
Old Jul 27th 2005, 7:16 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Try a free adds website also they let you join and advertise for free. I have sold lot's of cars in my time, I would also suggest Auto trader, get a colour add, you can even do it all online , easy peasy
Old Jul 27th 2005, 7:24 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget the long-shots! Chances are they'll not work, but it can be worth trying ... We printed out some home-made flyers about our car, complete with photo. Hubby put one up on the noticeboard at work and the car went to someone he worked with. Not a lot of effort! (My parents actually sold a house this way before - informal networks and word of mouth can be worth exploiting!).

GG
Old Jul 27th 2005, 7:26 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George
Don't forget the long-shots! Chances are they'll not work, but it can be worth trying ... We printed out some home-made flyers about our car, complete with photo. Hubby put one up on the noticeboard at work and the car went to someone he worked with. Not a lot of effort! (My parents actually sold a house this way before - informal networks and word of mouth can be worth exploiting!).

GG
Good point but the cars I normally try and sell, well I wouldn't be so cruel to freinds
Old Jul 27th 2005, 7:28 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe if you've got good cars it's an idea to sell them months ahead of when you need to and just buy a banger to keep you going?

My car is hopefully going to my sis-in-law but it's not worth much now anyway (N reg Tigra) and Malc has a banger so it will just go to the scrap yard if we cant sell it for a few hundred.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.