Reload this Page >

Selling the car in the UK

Selling the car in the UK

Old Dec 13th 2005, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

DerekM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Selling the car in the UK

Hello All,
Just looking for some advice on the best way to shift a car before leaving the UK. Obviously hope to keep the car right to the end about 15 Jan!! Its a Hyundai Santa Fe 4WD. There must be loads of advice on this site on how to do this without getting ripped off!! We have all been through or are going through this scenario.
So many things to organise and think about. Just got the proposed hand over date for the house this morning and its crunch time! :scared:
Derek
Old Dec 13th 2005, 9:58 am
vb2
bradford 2 brissy at last

vb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Selling the car in the UK

my husband works in the auto trade, therefore my advice to you, is to avoid dealers and sell privately, use fish4cars, or autotrader to advertise, you will get more money for your vehicle and less chance of being ripped off! it may take a bit longer but definitely work it, as the dealers will give you the minimum for it
regards
vb2

Originally Posted by DerekM
Hello All,
Just looking for some advice on the best way to shift a car before leaving the UK. Obviously hope to keep the car right to the end about 15 Jan!! Its a Hyundai Santa Fe 4WD. There must be loads of advice on this site on how to do this without getting ripped off!! We have all been through or are going through this scenario.
So many things to organise and think about. Just got the proposed hand over date for the house this morning and its crunch time! :scared:
Derek
Old Dec 13th 2005, 10:07 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello All,
Derek
I sold my Toyota Celica ( - loved that car) privately......and made money on it......ie got more than was owed
Old Dec 13th 2005, 10:10 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Selling the car in the UK

Hello All,
Just looking for some advice on the best way to shift a car before leaving the UK.
May I recommend Ebay? I had a 10 year old car - was offered £500 trade in against my current car - stuck it on Ebay for £999 and got over £2000 by the time the auction ended.

The great thing about Ebay is that it has an end date for the auction - so you know you will sell by a certain date (or not if your car is wrongly priced I suppose.)

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Dec 13th 2005, 10:12 am
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice

Hello All,
Derek
Do a little bit of buying and selling myself.....would DEFINITELY recommend eBay Motors!
Quick and easy ......in fact, the quickest and easiest way to sell a car IMHO! Just make sure you reserve is set at the minimum price you are willing to accept.

Feel free to ask if you need any tips!
Old Dec 13th 2005, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

ClareW will become famous soon enoughClareW will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
May I recommend Ebay? I had a 10 year old car - was offered £500 trade in against my current car - stuck it on Ebay for £999 and got over £2000 by the time the auction ended.

The great thing about Ebay is that it has an end date for the auction - so you know you will sell by a certain date (or not if your car is wrongly priced I suppose.)

Cheers

Buzzy

We sold our car on e-bay too within a day of putting it up for sale and for the full 'sell-it-now' price. Can't knock it.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 10:13 am
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

Cheers

Buzzy
Ive just sold a knackered Volvo worth about 150 quid, for 500 on there!!! There's one born every minute!!!

Old Dec 13th 2005, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

funkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant future

Or do what I've just done..hit someone up the arse 28 days b4 we leave, and wrote the bloody thing off :scared: Can't beleive I'm without a car now, and so many people to see. Just my luck.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 10:25 am
& Sharon, Mike & Luke

andyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really nice

E bay is a good way for buying and selling. I got an old Volvo for £500 and found a Penny Black stamp under the mat that I sold for thousands
Old Dec 13th 2005, 11:58 am
Arriving in GC 12th Jan

elksa will become famous soon enoughelksa will become famous soon enough

Hello All,
Derek
We're leaving England on the 10th January and I was thinking the same. However, I don't need to worry now as my partner has sorted the problem out herself. Yes, last Monday she skidded on some ice and went straight into the back of a black cab . Looks like there's enough damage to write the car off. So we just need to get around by public transport for the next few weeks and wait for the cheque from the insurance company.

So there you go why not try this method of getting rid of your car, much easier than trying to sell it
Old Dec 13th 2005, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

DerekM is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to all for the comments and advice especially about skidding on the ice! Dont think I can get the wife to do that one. Now a Merc ran into a doubledecker bus outside the house yesterday, pity our car was not parked on the road!
Had a look on Ebay, wow there are hundreds of em for sale! Never realised it was so popular, however I have now advertised on Fish4Cars for 2 weeks. Just cross my fingers and hope someone wants a Xmas pressie. After Xmas of course, hopefully.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all

Originally Posted by andyedwards
E bay is a good way for buying and selling. I got an old Volvo for £500 and found a Penny Black stamp under the mat that I sold for thousands
lol
Old Dec 13th 2005, 4:57 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by andyedwards

S'awright mate..........knew it was there, nicked it from local museum last week!!! So do the cops!

They're onto it and......possession being nine tenths of the law n'all that
Old Dec 14th 2005, 8:31 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Try www.preloved.co.uk

It's a free selling/buying site for cars, furniture, cameras etc etc - everything. You have to register but then can post as many things as you want.

We sold a number of things there before we emigrated: the car would have gone too but that we had already agreed to sell to a local dealer the day we went. We had half a dozen enquiries about it from the site, and would have sold it for more that way!
Old Dec 14th 2005, 4:16 pm
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

Hello All,
Derek
Do it on ebay....mine is on their now and I've had heaps of interest. Auction ends tomorrow and it will definitely sell. I've sold quite a bit of our stuff on ebay and its so easy to set up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.