Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

selling car in UK

selling car in UK

Old Feb 13th 2005, 12:49 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all
Default selling car in UK

damn, not one call and the cars been in the Exchange & Mart for about a month or so. How did you other ppl sell your cars in the UK before you went out to Oz?
Old Feb 13th 2005, 1:24 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: selling car in UK

depends how much time you have and how much money you want, could always sell to a dealer, or dump it down a hill with a can of gas....hmmm...
Old Feb 13th 2005, 1:34 am
Living the dream downunde

Location: MeadowBank, Sydney, Aussie Land of Sea,Sun and Seashells
rapitts is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah had the same problem here ,finally sold my car a fortnight ago after 4 months. My partner is also trying to sell her car at the moment. Just thinking that most people in the U.K. havent got much money ..........................
Old Feb 13th 2005, 1:40 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

could also try flogging it at a dealers auction, or even ebay if you get desperate...seen a few cars on ebay...
Old Feb 13th 2005, 3:28 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Well, if anyone you know would like a metallic grey 3-door Rav-4 (P reg)...... it`s our shipping money back to Aus.
Old Feb 13th 2005, 7:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Jimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Stormz
damn, not one call and the cars been in the Exchange & Mart for about a month or so. How did you other ppl sell your cars in the UK before you went out to Oz?
Hi - I left selling the car to the last because I was prepared to sell to a main dealer at say 10% less than I should have been able to get privately. However after one call to them I was told "no dealer will touch it" because its not automatic !.

I decided to put it on ebay even though I cant upload any pictures of it. I have already been offered my reserve price so hopefully I'll get something fair for it. I think it means i will miss the Sydney meet though as I cant book a flight till i know its sorted.

Best of luck
Jim
Old Feb 14th 2005, 12:14 am
I never gave up trying

gunnercaz is on a distinguished road

After advertsing in the paper for 2*2days over a 2 week period, I finally took some nice pics of the car(4 outside-2inside) and sold the car in less than 12 hours on ebay - Viewers came fromLuton(about 80 miles away) placed deposit and coming back 4 car 2morrow...better than all them timewasters responding to the paper ad! Ebay is the answer, but lots of pics of car so people can see what they are buying. Best of luck
Old Feb 14th 2005, 12:32 am
someone's had 'Alex'...

4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice

Sounds stupid, but are you asking for too much? There are 55 examples on Autotrader today for less than three grand.

As already suggested, I'd get it on eBay, the more photos the better. I've personally sold half a dozen cars that way, and always got more than I expected, listing them for UKP1 and no reserve on a 10 day listing.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 2:57 am
C&V
Sydneysider

C&V is an unknown quantity at this point

We left selling our car until last too, and just couldn't shift it! We had a 1.6 Black T reg VW Golf with full service history, ace condition and no one wanted it. We advertised on ebay and auto trader for a month, and only one call. The lady arranged to come and see it and then cancelled as she'd broken down on the way!

Anyway, had to leave it with my mum and dad to sell in the end. Even they had trouble selling it. I think they managed to bribe some dealer to take it off their hands, andtold us they'd got 4k for it eventually!

Seems, the second hand car market in the UK is struggling. There is obviously less demand for them than there used to be.

C&V
Old Feb 14th 2005, 5:40 am
Superfreak!!

Originally Posted by 4lex
Sounds stupid, but are you asking for too much? There are 55 examples on Autotrader today for less than three grand.

As already suggested, I'd get it on eBay, the more photos the better. I've personally sold half a dozen cars that way, and always got more than I expected, listing them for UKP1 and no reserve on a 10 day listing.
Ebay sounds good, but I`m wondering how much they`ll charge once it`s sold (for say £3,500) or if it`s unsold. Is the way to lessen fees if unsold to list at £1 but have a reserve of say £3,000?

We`ll have the rav to sell now (as we don`t need it) and the Townace to sell at the last minute.

For it`s year, average mileage and condition, I think between £3,500 and £3,800 would be fair. I wonder how much a dealer would pay?
Old Feb 14th 2005, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

Hafan is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Stormz
Ebay sounds good, but I`m wondering how much they`ll charge once it`s sold (for say £3,500) or if it`s unsold. Is the way to lessen fees if unsold to list at £1 but have a reserve of say £3,000?

We`ll have the rav to sell now (as we don`t need it) and the Townace to sell at the last minute.

For it`s year, average mileage and condition, I think between £3,500 and £3,800 would be fair. I wonder how much a dealer would pay?

I sold mine on ebay, and got more for it than I had advertised in the local paper - it sold for GBP3500 and I think I paid GBP 6 to list and GBP 15 final value fee - I thought it was a good deal and they buyer was pleased...
good luck
Hafan
Old Feb 14th 2005, 7:21 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hafan
I sold mine on ebay, and got more for it than I had advertised in the local paper - it sold for GBP3500 and I think I paid GBP 6 to list and GBP 15 final value fee - I thought it was a good deal and they buyer was pleased...
good luck
Hafan
Just flogged my mini (gutted) 3000 miles on the clock, fully spec'd up fantastic motor 15 months old took a 4000 drop just to flog it. Still need to do the house up and the house is worth a shed load more than the car. Going to be really pi$$ed if i dont get the visa !!!
Old Feb 14th 2005, 9:01 am
Superfreak!!

Originally Posted by Hafan
good luck
Hafan
Hi Hafan, very interesting. Could you tell me how you listed your car on ebay, i.e. what price you started it at, and whether you had a reserve or not. How can you ensure that whoever `buys` it goes to you and actually buys it.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 9:21 am
Its good up North!

Uncle B is just really niceUncle B is just really niceUncle B is just really niceUncle B is just really niceUncle B is just really niceUncle B is just really niceUncle B is just really niceUncle B is just really niceUncle B is just really niceUncle B is just really nice

Originally Posted by wargod
Just flogged my mini (gutted) 3000 miles on the clock, fully spec'd up fantastic motor 15 months old took a 4000 drop just to flog it. Still need to do the house up and the house is worth a shed load more than the car. Going to be really pi$$ed if i dont get the visa !!!
I understand how you feel,i 2 had a Mini Copper works fully loaded,so gutted when it came time 2 sell her to move out here,but on a good note there are far more air hosties out here HAPI DAYS
Old Feb 14th 2005, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

Phil-UK will become famous soon enough

I have my car to sell too, I'd better add a few months to the time I was planning after reading this!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.