Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Selling a car privately

Selling a car privately

Old Jun 12th 2009, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of
Default Selling a car privately

I've never sold a car here before so what's the procedure when a prospective buyer comes around? Other than showing the car do I have to offer a test drive? My concern is that joy riders want the drive without any interest in buying. Can I just offer to drive them around? And is payment normally made by bank transfer or a cashier's cheque?
Old Jun 12th 2009, 2:15 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Selling a car privately

Originally Posted by discobay
I've never sold a car here before so what's the procedure when a prospective buyer comes around? Other than showing the car do I have to offer a test drive? My concern is that joy riders want the drive without any interest in buying. Can I just offer to drive them around? And is payment normally made by bank transfer or a cashier's cheque?
Would you buy a car without test driving it yourself?

Unless it's a Ferrari, I wouldn't worry about joy-riders.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Deancm
Would you buy a car without test driving it yourself?

Unless it's a Ferrari, I wouldn't worry about joy-riders.
So you don't like cars do you.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 4:25 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

I agree with Dean - why would you expect to buy a car and not drive it. If you are going to be sitting with them, then it will be fine, and you can tell them what they should and should not do if you feel uncomfortable.

I'd say there is a greater chance they scare the crap out of you through bad driving than being a joy rider.

What car is it?
Old Jun 12th 2009, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Whilst I agree that I too would want a test drive before I decided to buy a car I don't see how joy riding is limited to Ferraris or other exotic cars. We are surrounded by hoons, wannabes and the have-nots. Mine's an HSV GTS.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 7:42 am
Account Closed

I'm actually a bit of a petrol head. So unless the car is decent, handles well and has a bit of guts, then it's probaly not worth going out of my way travellng to wherever the cars is just to have a bit of a joy ride.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 7:47 am
Account Closed

Whilst I agree that I too would want a test drive before I decided to buy a car I don't see how joy riding is limited to Ferraris or other exotic cars. We are surrounded by hoons, wannabes and the have-nots. Mine's an HSV GTS.
That's why when you first speak to them you need to ask them questions to ascertain if they are serious or just taking the piss. The problem with selling anything is that you are going to get a combination of serious buyers as well as tyre kickers.

Last edited by Deancm; Jun 12th 2009 at 7:49 am.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 12:32 pm
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

Just tell them no test drives without sticking a large wedge of cash into your hand first as a deposit. That'll stop most of the test pilots.

I admit, I used to go around to car dealers (but never private people) and test drive a few cars for fun. Took out TVRs, Porsche, Lotus, etc. I once had the guy from the Vauxhall garage going white in the face and digging his fingers into the leather seats on a Calibra turbo, poor guy was petrified! He told me that if I bought this car, I'd have to slow down. Hehehe

You'll tell by the person if they're interested, what they're wearing, how they act. I wouldn't worry too much.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks appreciate the sound advice.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 3:52 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Have you had a current safety cerificate issued for the vehicle before putting it up for sale? You will need one.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 3:59 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyx0
Just tell them no test drives without sticking a large wedge of cash into your hand first as a deposit. That'll stop most of the test pilots.
One of the guys that I used to work with had his later model Celica up for sale, so he let this guy take it for a test-drive (with him in the car) around local streets. Apparently he pushed the car to the edge of the envelope (powerslide around corners), slid straight into gutter, slight bend in the chassis, stuffed the rear wheels, axle, and drivetrain.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Have you had a current safety cerificate issued for the vehicle before putting it up for sale? You will need one.
Ah yes i forgot that QLD quirk!
Old Jun 13th 2009, 4:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The Bloke
One of the guys that I used to work with had his later model Celica up for sale, so he let this guy take it for a test-drive (with him in the car) around local streets. Apparently he pushed the car to the edge of the envelope (powerslide around corners), slid straight into gutter, slight bend in the chassis, stuffed the rear wheels, axle, and drivetrain.
That is my worst fear - and I would have to pay for it.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 4:46 am
Account Closed

That is my worst fear - and I would have to pay for it.
Why would you have to pay for it? The driver's liable.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Deancm
Why would you have to pay for it? The driver's liable.
You are so trusting. What if a problem appears after the joy rider has had the drive and left?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.