British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Selling a car in Australia (Melbourne) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/selling-car-australia-melbourne-817275/)

DanSolihull Dec 9th 2013 8:26 am

Selling a car in Australia (Melbourne)

Does anyone have any advice on the best way to sell a car? I know it sounds stupid but I've never done it before. Any websites or car dealers that anyone can recommend?

PominOz1 Dec 9th 2013 8:40 am

Re: Selling a car in Australia (Melbourne)

I'm sure someone will suggest www.carsales.com.au - never used them to sell myself so couldn't recommend/dismiss.

DanSolihull Dec 9th 2013 8:58 am

Originally Posted by PominOz1 (Post 11027087)
I'm sure someone will suggest www.carsales.com.au - never used them to sell myself so couldn't recommend/dismiss.

That's the only place I know of too (I brought my car from there). To be honest though I can't be bothered wasting time having to show people my car / arrange to meet them etc so I'd rather just deal with a dealer / trade so something quick.

PominOz1 Dec 9th 2013 9:04 am

Try taking it to a dealer, I'd just google the nearest "Boycie" you'll get rock bottom for it, but I'm sure you've accepted that.

gumtree Dec 9th 2013 11:08 am

Try "Pickles Auction" - save you the bother of meeting potential car buyers and offering test driving. Price offered is higher than car dealers although it could be less than carsales. You have to be smart in accepting or declining offers though.

alipally Dec 13th 2013 11:15 am

We sold our car through gum tree... 3 yr old Honda CRV $20,000 the ad was free!!

DanSolihull Jan 31st 2014 9:04 am

Hi again all, do I need to get the roadworthy certificate when selling a car or can I ask the buyer to get it sorted? Also what's the best method for payment?

BadgeIsBack Feb 2nd 2014 1:16 am

Originally Posted by DanSolihull (Post 11105831)
Hi again all, do I need to get the roadworthy certificate when selling a car or can I ask the buyer to get it sorted? Also what's the best method for payment?

All cars need a RWC when sold with plates.
If not, you sell it as seen, with no plates. The buyer pays no more than about 100dollars to rock up with a sheet of paper they have printed from VICROADS website which is placed on the windscreen and allows you to drive to a place of repair or testing...(you can't take the piss!) and lasts a few days. The buyer has to get the repairs needed for RWC and pay full rego.

The price is then slashed, naturally - most sellers do this with very old, or vintage cars where the price of the RWC (and the hassle) is not worth the value - or it is a 'distressed' sale - a car rego has lapsed and they are time poor and the wife is telling them to get rid.

If you are into niche cars which noone wants you can actually realise a bargain this way. We are all so time-poor that someone won't get a RWC out of shear lack of interest when it would pass with a few repairs. I bought a car with no RWC for 270 dollars which passed RWC I booked it in for, and needed nothing apart from a new set of tyres. A great car - engineered to go to the moon and back!

DanSolihull Feb 3rd 2014 8:16 am

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 11108533)
All cars need a RWC when sold with plates.
If not, you sell it as seen, with no plates. The buyer pays no more than about 100dollars to rock up with a sheet of paper they have printed from VICROADS website which is placed on the windscreen and allows you to drive to a place of repair or testing...(you can't take the piss!) and lasts a few days. The buyer has to get the repairs needed for RWC and pay full rego.

The price is then slashed, naturally - most sellers do this with very old, or vintage cars where the price of the RWC (and the hassle) is not worth the value - or it is a 'distressed' sale - a car rego has lapsed and they are time poor and the wife is telling them to get rid.

If you are into niche cars which noone wants you can actually realise a bargain this way. We are all so time-poor that someone won't get a RWC out of shear lack of interest when it would pass with a few repairs. I bought a car with no RWC for 270 dollars which passed RWC I booked it in for, and needed nothing apart from a new set of tyres. A great car - engineered to go to the moon and back!

Thanks for the info, it sounds like I'd be better off sorting it out myself then. Another stupid question; what's the best way to receive payment for when I sell the car? I'm guessing cash is a bit risky?