Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sell now in the UK or never?

Wikiposts

Sell now in the UK or never?

Old Jun 4th 2003, 12:07 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by PeteY
Im intrieged PB....are you going to be buying when you get here? Or will you rent for a few years and wait for the prices to drop...

After all theres little point in buying when you know the house price market is alledgedly about to collapse.

We have enough money to rent given we can invest capital.
Even thinking of buying cheap homes in the waste lands of the North East and renting them out, seen small terrance homes up for 20k or less that would be fine for DHSS dumping grounds.

Old Jun 4th 2003, 12:21 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by crabtree
I will be paying cash for a house in Aus so as a one off expence it is not dependent on having a certain level of income.

IF you listen to the EXPERTS the Pound will get stronger and the Aus dollar weaker.

Tony C

You will live off the land I take it , your dream has been tried here many a time , evens bet you will be broke within less than 2 years and have a massive mortgage on a home thats far too big and eats your income.

Old Jun 4th 2003, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by willywh3r3
How sure are you that nothing happens within this one year?

Many, many people were caught off-guard when the stock market crashed in US during dot-com burst. Many still thought that it was clear day until they were woken up by sad reality that their retirement fund vaporizes. By then, it was too late.
Where we are in OZ buyers for land outstrip blocks by about 50 to one. Even in crummy estates 20 mins drive from a sniff of the beach they are sold out on land that wont even be ready till february 2004. Prices rise consistently 20-50 grand a block with each stage. We only buy total quality, like stuff 400 metres from the beach, acerage with own rainforest, ocean view land in area where it is the only block left! That stuff wont go down, because it is irreplaceable, not housing estates where there will always be another lot of blocks around the corner.

We bought all of our stuff before the boom. To make money that way now would be a joke, you just could not find bargains, they dont exist, people here know their value.

I am not in a place where prices have risen for several years like Sydney or Melbourne. I know my property market, if interest rates go up even .25% I'll be looking at selling, if unemployment rises, or interstate migration drops ditto. If prices drop here it will be Apartments first, Sydney second, plenty of warning signs before it ripples here, and as I said, the stuff we buy is irreplacable anyway.

Nothing is guaranteed but for me to stay here for even another year I can assure you I am a very confident girl.
Old Jun 4th 2003, 2:21 pm
Banned

I will be paying cash for a house in Aus so as a one off expence it is not dependent on having a certain level of income.

IF you listen to the EXPERTS the Pound will get stronger and the Aus dollar weaker.

Tony C

EXPERTS like these?

THE Australian dollar soared to 3½-year highs yesterday as the Reserve Bank of Australia decided to keep interest rates unchanged for a twelfth consecutive month and fresh figures showed economic growth accelerated in the first quarter of this year.

The currency burst through US66¢ to close at US66.39¢, its highest level since January 2000, and up from US65.87¢ on Tuesday.

The Australian dollar has now surged 18 per cent this year, making it the world's third best performing currency.

With the RBA opting to keep interest rates steady and the possibility of rate cuts in Europe and New Zealand this week, the market remained firmly on the bid for the Australian dollar.

http://www.thewest.com.au/20030605/b...sto100489.html

Old Jun 4th 2003, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

Location: lincolnshire South of Perth by end of October 03 Please
crabtree is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pommie bastard
You will live off the land I take it , your dream has been tried here many a time , evens bet you will be broke within less than 2 years and have a massive mortgage on a home thats far too big and eats your income.

As I said I will be buying my home for CASH. That meens NO MORTGAGE.
I also said I am buying a business, so That meens living off the fruits of my labours. Something you know nothing about! for a change.

Tony C
Old Jun 4th 2003, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by pommie bastard
EXPERTS like these?

THE Australian dollar soared to 3½-year highs yesterday as the Reserve Bank of Australia decided to keep interest rates unchanged for a twelfth consecutive month and fresh figures showed economic growth accelerated in the first quarter of this year.

The currency burst through US66¢ to close at US66.39¢, its highest level since January 2000, and up from US65.87¢ on Tuesday.

The Australian dollar has now surged 18 per cent this year, making it the world's third best performing currency.

With the RBA opting to keep interest rates steady and the possibility of rate cuts in Europe and New Zealand this week, the market remained firmly on the bid for the Australian dollar.

http://www.thewest.com.au/20030605/b...sto100489.html

MY POINT IS: For every so called expert that says the property market has or will crash in the near fututre ther is another so called expert that says the property boom will continue for some time yet All be it in certain parts.

For every expert saying the Pound will get weaker there is another that says it will get stronger.

YOU listen to the ones that suit your requirements and thats just fine.

Tony C
Old Jun 4th 2003, 8:13 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

I also said I am buying a business, so That meens living off the fruits of my labours. Something you know nothing about! for a change.

Tony C
Here's hoping your business goes well, you do not have to mortgage your house to bail out the business and you deprive the buzzards of their nurishment.
Old Jun 4th 2003, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Megalania
Here's hoping your business goes well, you do not have to mortgage your house to bail out the business and you deprive the buzzards of their nurishment.

Another useless reply!

Tony C
Old Jun 4th 2003, 9:01 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Another useless reply!

Tony C
No need for you to look in here it seems.
Old Jun 4th 2003, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

jockney is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Sindy
Totally agree pete,

This is an issue of market confidence rather than anything else. The housing market crash of the 90's was brought about by specific economic indicators. Those indicators are currently not a factor (Interest rates, unemployment etc) and consequently the market should not crash.

Two things are having an impact though, all of the media hype about a collapse in the market is holding some buyers back until they see which way the wind blows and first time buyers are finding it difficult to get on the property ladder, also when they hear that the market may collapse they hold back hoping for a drop in price.

The overall impact is that fewer people out there are buying and some are reducing the price to attract a buyer.

If we are not careful this will become a self fullfilling prophecy and the market will colapse, not because it should, but because we made it happen.

Last two points, PB's first link pointed to an article fom last december claiming a 30% drop this year. We are now 1/2 way through the year so where is the evidence (Outside London).

The second link to an article from 2 June also stated

"The main UK property market monitors say house price growth will slow sharply this year, but do not believe there will be a crash."

So the immediate state of the housing market will have more to do with perception rather than reality.

Optimistic Bill
Hi bill,Another factor which will have a major impact is the number of first time buyers entering the market .A report this week suggested that first time buyers had fallen by at least 25%,that is huge,that along with the negative stories on the housing market I believe will bring prices down especially in the south east.Other factors in the south east that are starting to mirror end of 80`s are city job losses and office rent prices which have tumbled.Does`nt look good to me but I`m going on history repeating itself,interest rates are the only saving grace at the moment.jockney ps nice to see you again on sunday even though you are a celtic fan!!haha
Old Jun 4th 2003, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

seen small terrance homes up for 20k or less that would be fine for DHSS dumping grounds
PB, you need to be carefull with renting to DSS not that I think for one minute you will not research it, but they are changing the rules to how landlords get paid, at one time they paid landlord direct, there has been talk of paying the tenant.

We had loads of problems with a DSS tenant, ended up out of pocket to the tune of £1000 and not a thing we could about it apart from evict them. The buggers know how to screw the system and the landlords.
Old Jun 5th 2003, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all

What I want to know is what first time buyers can actually afford to buy these houses and who in their right mind would want to pay these prices. House prices only continue to rise as long as people are willing to pay these overinflated prices. I really just hope that they become a bit more realistic and affordable. My husband and I couldn't even afford to buy in the Southeast even with a decent wage and that I think there is something wrong there when that happens.

I'm still going to go back to the UK coz I miss it like crazy!!
Old Jun 5th 2003, 12:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by daisymoll
What I want to know is what first time buyers can actually afford to buy these houses and who in their right mind would want to pay these prices. House prices only continue to rise as long as people are willing to pay these overinflated prices. I really just hope that they become a bit more realistic and affordable. My husband and I couldn't even afford to buy in the Southeast even with a decent wage and that I think there is something wrong there when that happens.

I'm still going to go back to the UK coz I miss it like crazy!!
There was mentioned recently in financial UK press of mortgages being offered similar to Japan, that you take mortgages out for a lifetime and pass the mortgage on to your next of kin:scared:

Also lenders income multiples are increasing by up to 5 times income for some first time buyers as affordability is not a problem with such low rates on offer.
Old Jun 5th 2003, 11:46 am
Banned

Tony C
Of course you will , heard all before , Perth is full of wantnabes scrapping a living , hope you work cheaper than the Chinese and Asians who seem to undercut all here.

Old Jun 5th 2003, 11:48 am
Banned

Originally posted by GetMeOutOfHere
There was mentioned recently in financial UK press of mortgages being offered similar to Japan, that you take mortgages out for a lifetime and pass the mortgage on to your next of kin:scared:

Also lenders income multiples are increasing by up to 5 times income for some first time buyers as affordability is not a problem with such low rates on offer.
You should love the Aussie banks then , I got offered 8 times my income and told I could afford to eat too?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.