Sell or not...

Old Sep 28th 2004, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

JJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the rough
Question Sell or not...

Please can I have some views on selling the house, I have read a couple of threads where people have regreted selling up.... what are the rest of you doing???

We are intending to put the house on the market now, rent for six months (expecting a quick sell) ......... and then move to Brisbane next summer.

thanks.. Julie
Old Sep 28th 2004, 11:24 am
Cheeky

Default Re: Sell or not...

Hi Julie,

Well, when it finally comes round to it we are definately selling our house. I think its personal choice/circumstances, etc. For us selling the house releases equity, which is money we will need to buy property in Oz. I suppose if you can afford it and dont mind renting out your UK property it could prove to be a nice little nest egg, or something to come back to, or on the other hand maybe more hassel than you need!!!

Decisions, decisions!!!
Regards, Cheeky

Old Sep 28th 2004, 11:27 am
Loving life in Brissie

cagandchris will become famous soon enough

We were expecting to be going out there next summer but with the faster processing times now think we will get visa by Xmas (!) We were going to put house on market in Spring next year but as we want to be able to go as soon as we get the visa we put our house on market on Saturday. Looks like we have a buyer already - but they are still negotiating an offer on their house. Am hoping that it all doesn't happen too fast as don't really want to be in rented for too long! However, I think it's best thing to do as can't really book any flights or shippers etc. until house sale has completed in case it fell through.
Old Sep 28th 2004, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

JJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for that, we are thinking of just moving the essentials into a rented house and leaving a lot of things in storage books, pictures, spare linen, dinner service etc.... have you looked at shipping/removals yet? I understand if we do use storage it would be best to use the company who are going to ship us out next year and get them to do the packing, is this true?
Old Sep 28th 2004, 11:36 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

this subject has come up many times - IMO it really depends on your situation/outlook if selling or not is the best option.

We are selling
- Don't have enough money to keep this house and purchase a house that we want in Oz
- House is in a good state for selling, who knows what it would be like renting it out and trying to sell at a later date
- could rent out whilst renting in Oz, but don't fancy trying to sell house from the other side of the world (plenty has been written,enough for a book, on how potential buyers/estate agents are complete and utter b*****ds when you are in the same country)
- renting leads to agents, tax, exchange rate etc complications. selling would be simplier

I think most people that have regretted selling up are those that have returned as the market has continued to rise - but that is hindsight for you. What reasons have you come across?
Old Sep 28th 2004, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

chr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura about

Julie,
Another person in Fareham. Your time ls similar to ours. Hope to move next August. Awaiting for our visa now. Just sent 2 weeks ago. Live in Furzehall Avenue off Wickham rd in fareham. Have two boys (1&4). How are you in the process. Not sure when to put house on market.
Old Sep 28th 2004, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

I totally agree, reasons appear to be spent a lot of money getting to Oz, and can't afford to get back in to the UK market.

I think we just have to hold our nose and jump.... scary but sooo exciting..

Like you we have a fair amount of equity so looking for great house Oz side...

With the UK market stabalising.. we should be ok... would be fab if Oz market rockets!!! any predictions!!
Old Sep 28th 2004, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Wow.... we live in Whiteley.... also have two boys... aged 3 and 4 months.. must meet for a coffee sometime.. where are you hoping to go...

We are a couple of weeks behind you will be ready to submit next week.

Have had a couple of estate agents round, think we will test the water now but have said I won't move out until January..
Old Sep 28th 2004, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JJJHM
Wow.... we live in Whiteley.... also have two boys... aged 3 and 4 months.. must meet for a coffee sometime.. where are you hoping to go...

We are a couple of weeks behind you will be ready to submit next week.

Have had a couple of estate agents round, think we will test the water now but have said I won't move out until January..
I'm going to wait and get proper advice before deciding. Don't want to be landed with a hefty tax bill in the future (not sure when UK Capital Gains Tax kicks in). I've also read that you get taxed in Aus on the gain on your property from the moment you set foot in Aus.
Old Sep 28th 2004, 12:19 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chr1sarter
Julie,
Another person in Fareham. Your time ls similar to ours. Hope to move next August. Awaiting for our visa now. Just sent 2 weeks ago. Live in Furzehall Avenue off Wickham rd in fareham. Have two boys (1&4). How are you in the process. Not sure when to put house on market.

Small world! We live in Old Turnpike!
Old Sep 28th 2004, 12:33 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

And Hedge End....

Having spent a grand at w/e on new carpets throughout (cheapest we could get ;-) ) our house is going on market in 3 weeks.

Just waiting for AIM positive assesment then the 47sk is all ready to go front loaded. Having rented our house out previously I agree it gets trashed , so if you want to sell easier doing it with furniture in it & in a state that you control rather than a state some tenants leave it in.

Hoping for Brisbane in new year.
Old Sep 28th 2004, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

chr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Nicstids
Small world! We live in Old Turnpike!
Where is old turnpike?
Old Sep 28th 2004, 12:44 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chr1sarter
Where is old turnpike?
Go up North Hill, turn left at the traffic lights and that's us!
Old Sep 28th 2004, 12:45 pm
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JJJHM
Please can I have some views on selling the house, I have read a couple of threads where people have regreted selling up.... what are the rest of you doing???

We are intending to put the house on the market now, rent for six months (expecting a quick sell) ......... and then move to Brisbane next summer.

thanks.. Julie

Hi

I will be selling my property when i move to oz as i rented out a property a few years ago and it got trashed, it was also a nightmare having to maintain the property, so it would probley be even harder trying to do that from the other side of the world.

I have also heard people who go over to Aus and then have to come back to sell the house, and they dont want to......I think its best to break all ties and have a fresh start, and enjoy Oz without the worry of your house and mortgage on your mind.

If i liked my house i might of considered renting it out but i hate it (and the neighbours) so i cant wait to get it sold and move on. But if I didnt have a mortgage on the property it may be wothwhile renting it out for an income while your in Auz..........

On the otherhand, i met a bloke who went to Canada and sold his house (before the boom here) after a year they came back as his wife couldnt settle, and they found it very difficult to get back onto the property ladder (as house prices had doubled), he said he wished he had rented it out and not sold.

I know that i will defo stay in Auz, but I will always try to keep some money invested incase i need to come back again for whatever reason (hope not).

I think each individual situation is different, think it depends mostly on your finances in the end doesnt it?

Good luck with whatever you decide

laura
xx
Old Sep 28th 2004, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nicstids
Go up North Hill, turn left at the traffic lights and that's us!
You really are close to me then. What is your time line on moving. Family moving with you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.